Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xterra??????

A lady brought her truck to our shop and it had a broken timing belt
    60% chance a belt will fix it. She wants to sell as is. I am gonna offer 300.

To much? Too little?

2000 model auto 100k miles
    Neil

Jesus loves me. This I know.

93 L track prep in progress
    88? Parts car-sold
    91 L B6-me f25mr-soon to be ???
    86 b2000- pisses of HOA-sold
    1997 k1500 suburban- kid hauler/GAS hog

If it's in good shape, and she'll take $300 for it, take it. Guarantee you can make your money back in parts.

Near as I can tell after a quick search, those are interference engines, so as far as damage goes, could be nothing, could be nasty.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

I was just going to suggest checking for interference specs... good call batstiva.
      -Zack
      Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

That's a $4,000 truck if it was in fair condition. Even with a bad engine $300 is way too low of an offer. Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky.
        Oscar

Comment

Could junk it for more.
          91GL BP/F3A with boost
          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I remember those SUV's as getting fantastic reviews...i think they were even truck/SUV of the year in one of the mags. I always liked them. There's a guy local who has one with a lift and big rock crawler bumpers..it's sick looking.

But yeah $300 is robbing her blind. I'd at least offer a grand...karma's a bitch.

By the way, ^^^ That's 99.9% city driving :cool:

Comment

Since it is newer, it may have a sensor to detect the timing belt. It could be ok.
              Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
              Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
              Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
              Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
              http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

^ nope... blown timing belt sounds WAY different than just a bad sensor, that and the VQ engines don't have a 'belt" sensor, but they do have a crank and cam sensor.
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I think drdan means the sensor would sense a broken timing belt and keep it from interfering somehow.
                  -Zack
                  Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

no again (not trying to be dickish) the sensors are used for spark and fuel timing only, you can still crank the engine and bend valves as those sensors won't disable the starter.

undoubtedly the engine stalled and then was cranked several times before someone realized the belt was snapped, by that time you can be sure at least 6 valves got smacked and the heads HAVE to come off for repairs.
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

The repair bill was 3200ish for a used motor as it was run low on oil as well. 300 cash to her is a fair price in my eyes. I am fully aware of the potential for damage. Its worth it to me to try a timing belt. If it wont start I can still use that belt on the rebuild.
                      Neil

Jesus loves me. This I know.

93 L track prep in progress
                      88? Parts car-sold
                      91 L B6-me f25mr-soon to be ???
                      86 b2000- pisses of HOA-sold
                      1997 k1500 suburban- kid hauler/GAS hog

Comment

Originally posted by gorgonheimer View Post
                        The repair bill was 3200ish for a used motor as it was run low on oil as well. 300 cash to her is a fair price in my eyes. I am fully aware of the potential for damage. Its worth it to me to try a timing belt. If it wont start I can still use that belt on the rebuild.
                        Does that mean she took the cash?
                        Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

Originally posted by gorgonheimer View Post
                          ...300 cash to her is a fair price in my eyes....
                          Sorry but if someone offered me that much I would just laugh. And then I would donate the car and get a tax break on the full price of the car.
                          Oscar

Comment

Oh the joys of capitalism strike again. Pay as least as possible for as much as possible. That's the way it works. The system is completely fair if both parties agree to transact. Go for it...
                            ----------------------------------------------
                            93 Festiva L (B8 swap in progress)

Comment

I may be getting one of these as well. A friend has one that alternately runs really well, then just shuts down. May restart in a minute, sometimes more like an hour. He was going to sell it for scrap, I offered him a bit more than the scrap guy did, so I guess we'll see.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                              1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                              1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                              Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Working...
                              X