Did I kill it ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I kill it ?

O.k. so with my new job I have been driving 200 miles a day and my Festys have been handling it like a champ but on the way home tonight I was driving my 91 GL and all of the sudden the charge light came on and I was in the middle of nowhere so as i was trying to find a place to get off of the road the temp. gauge started rising so I found a wide spot in the road pulled off and got out my flashlight and saw that the Alt. belt had broken now normally this wouldn't be a problem except for I was driving the wrong car in my 93(my problem child) I have extra belts and hoses and any other small things that could go wrong because with that car it does anyway now I'm in the middle of nowhere on a remote 2 lane highway I am an hour from home and it is 20 degrees outside and there is nothing that even resembles civilization so I call my wife and get her on the way but she is still working for another hour and I am freezing so with out any other option I get back in the car and turn it on and notice that the temp. gauge had gone down so I start it up and proceeded until the temp.gauge rose 3/4 so I stopped and shut it off and I waited 10 minutes and started again anyway I did this for ten miles running it until it got warm and shut it off anyway my question is there any chance that I didn't cook the engine how tough are the b3s as far as handling heat I never would have done had I had another choice
    Justin Craig Paola Kansas my 4 passions, demolition derby,Ford 2.3s, my festiva and my kids

if it did not overheat I doubt you did anything to it.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Yeah...been there done that... very recently in fact. Except there were semi trucks coming within a few feet at 70 MPH....never been more scared in my life heh. Cars fine though.
      91GL BP/F3A with boost
      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I'm wondering how, if your alternator belt broke, you started it and ran it so many times without recharging the battery...?
        -Zack
        Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

when it first happened it boiled over but after I let it cool down I never let the temp. go up more than 3/4 of the way up I just hope it didn't cook the motor because I am not quite ready for my motor swap just yet
          Justin Craig Paola Kansas my 4 passions, demolition derby,Ford 2.3s, my festiva and my kids

Comment

Originally posted by crazyrog17 View Post
            I'm wondering how, if your alternator belt broke, you started it and ran it so many times without recharging the battery...?
            I don't know except for the fact it has a new battery and in all of my festys I put in the biggest battery that will physically fit in the car the one that is in it has something like 950 cold cranking amps I am so glad that the battery held out

Comment

You can run for a good while on just the battery. Yes the starter draws a lot but our engines are easy to start. I'd be more worried about running the lights.
              91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

One of the things you can do is to pull the vc and "retorque" the head bolts.
                Pushing it up (too high pressure) like that might have loosened some of the bolts. Checking those bolts with a torque wrench will answer that question and can head off that possibility. All for free too!
                97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by crazyrog17 View Post
                  You can actually run for quite some time on just a good battery. Hate to admit it, but two days after I started a new job, Slick decided to throw his alt. belt on the way to work. Didn't really want to call off after two days, so I took the chance and drove him without a belt. It was a very cold morning, the gauge never went beyond the halfway point. Drove to work, parked, worked for 8 hours, came out afterward, started the car, drove to McParts, installed a belt, fired him up, and drove him home. I wouldn't recommend it, for obvious reasons, but in a pinch, it can be done.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                  1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                  1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                  Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

How far was work?
                    91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

^^ 30 miles, or so. Then 8 or 10 more to the parts store.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                      1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                      1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                      Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Working...
                      X