so is this the performance camshaft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so is this the performance camshaft?

they have it on ebay, just wondering cause i see they doing a special and getting paid today ill maybe put the order today.is only onne ? , aint there rgular price is like 180 dollars?

Originally posted by FMS eBay auction
    Our camshafts are 100% BRAND NEW, allowing the same overall lobe size as stock, while still increasing valve lift and duration!
    Why does this not make sense to me?
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Originally posted by 1993 festiva View Post
      they have it on ebay, just wondering cause i see they doing a special and getting paid today ill maybe put the order today.is only onne ? , aint there rgular price is like 180 dollars?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...ht_1095wt_1165
      The regular price according to www.festivamotorsport..com is $160 + shipping for the competition cam. Either way, that's a killer deal!

Yes, there is only one. The B3 in the Festiva/Aspire is a single overhead camshaft engine, similar to the B6 in the 323 non-turbos and the B8 in the base-model Proteges. This isn't necessarily a bad thing... basically it just means that the sole camshaft does all the work in regulating the intake and exhaust valve assembly.

This is a great way to really open up the B3/B6 engine... I'd recommend it. However, you'll find much more performance and appreciation for adding a camshaft if you have a few supporting breather mods for the camshaft. In particular, I'd recommend:

-Intake System - Anything from a cone filter to a full hard-pipe cold air intake. Don't bother with a K&N replacement filter... the contribution of the filter itself has been tested as far less significant than the VAF and the piping, which is not designed for flow from the factory. Hard piping and silencer/plastic deleting will not only make the car perform better, but the sound will be fantastic!

-Exhaust System - Minimum of a high flow muffler and slightly larger cat-back piping. Mandrel isn't mandatory though for low/medium performance, so you can cut cost there. Just a clean 2" (2.25" maybe if crush-bent) system and a high-flow muffler will really open up the top end with that camshaft. Again, performance and sound.

-Maintenance - Ensure that your three filters (Air/Fuel/Oil) and five fluids (Fuel, Oil, Transmission, Coolant, Brake) are up to spec and that your electronics are functioning in good order. A little bit of Seafoam wouldn't hurt either, especially in cleaning up carbon deposits and maximizing engine performance. I've received praise round here for labeling it as engine toothpaste, because that's exactly what it will do for you.

-Further modification: If you plan to stick with the B3/B6 base motor (this camshaft should work with early 323 B6's just fine), look into a MattDickMeyer set of aftermarket headers ($250+shipping), a B6 intake manifold bored to handle a BP throttle body, some gasket matching with a die grinder and dremel, and a high-flow catalytic converter. Once your engine can totally breathe, your next task will be adding additional fuel to prevent leaning out up top. Throw in a B6 longblock for an extra 15-25HP, especially with that cam. You could put down a reliable and zippy 80-90FWHP with that sort of build I bet. Would be a total sleeper too! I bet, if you kept revs low, you could ace 40+MPG simultaneously.
      Last edited by Aaronbrook37; 12-09-2010, 10:05 AM.
      1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

at the moment my mods on my cars are: the cone air filter, really breathing so much air but car is kinda stock so all that air is going to waist. also i have bp 230cc fuel injectors and a bp computer, i was wondering cause when i rev higher then 6.5k rpm the motor sounds like it cant take it and loses power, the fuel injectors and the computer set up like this i still get around 35mpg, im trying to mix parts from other cars to the b3, but i know those cams would give me some more hp i dont know how much but who cares lol. well you think once i install those cams i can rev over 6500rpm with no problem not worrying about the engine not taking it. little by little i find stuff i can mod to the festiva. right now im looking for a tube for the intake because my tube is not letting my intake breath much its not in a good place. you think the aspire intake tube would fit perfect? or just get like stainless steel tubes and make one myself? and what other mods can i install to the b3? i was going to turbo the b3 but atm imma let that project to a hold first trying to get the car more hp with performance parts, from any car that i can slightly mod to make it fit. .. hey do you know any intake manifold that would be a good mod for the festiva?

Comment

The description still doesn't make sense to me. How can they say it has more lift and duration if it has the same overall lobe size? Either or I could understand(more lift with less duration, or less lift and more duration), but that just doesn't make sense. Add to that the fact that they don't seem to want to give out the specs on the things, and I'm not inclined to pay anything for one.

Matt also makes cams, and has offered to go over the specs with me over the phone as soon as I can call the shop. I'd go with his for $80 more than the eBay thing and know what I'm getting.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

what is his website?

Comment

Far as I can tell, he doesn't have one. I can PM you his shop phone # and the email address is "dickmeyerautomotive( )yahoo( )com".

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

I asked FMS about the cam through the eBay system. They didn't respond at all. I know these guys do good for the Festiva community, but things aren't making sense.

Then there's this....
                Originally posted by mattdickmeyer
                Called fms , they dont even know the specs to their cams. Guy at fms said COMP grinds their cams ,called a friend at COMP he said they have never head of fms.
                .....and this.
                Originally posted by blkfordsedan
                They don't even come with a spec card. At one time they listed the lift & duration on an Ebay auction, but it quickly disappeared. (If I remember, it was like 246* and .490") I bought their mild "competition spec" cam. When I called to get a spec card they said they didn't have one. I tried to get the valve events so I could degree it and also get the recommended spring pressures, but they said they would call me back.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
                  The description still doesn't make sense to me. How can they say it has more lift and duration if it has the same overall lobe size? Either or I could understand(more lift with less duration, or less lift and more duration), but that just doesn't make sense. Add to that the fact that they don't seem to want to give out the specs on the things, and I'm not inclined to pay anything for one.

Matt also makes cams, and has offered to go over the specs with me over the phone as soon as I can call the shop. I'd go with his for $80 more than the eBay thing and know what I'm getting.
                  They don't literally mean the lobe is the same size. What they are talking about is the base circle of the cam. Their cams are new, meaning there won't be any issues w/valve lash or adjustment. Some performance cams are just reground on a stock core. When this is done, the only way to get higher lift or longer duration is to grind the new lobe within the boundary of the old lobe and make the base circle smaller. That can create issues with valve adjustment & geometry. In the case of an OHV V8, it can require a manually adjustable rocker arm, longer pushrods, etc. It was just a poor description on their part, for the sake of being brief.

They are not a bad cam, they are designed & made by a reputable manufacturer, not FMS. FMS doesn't provide the specs because they just buy them from an aftermarket cam manufacturer over-seas and re-sell them. They are well worth $100, IMO, but I agree that spending the extra $ to get one from Matt would be my choice if I was building a serious street/race motor. At least you you what you're getting.
                  Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                  04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                  62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                  Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

^That makes more sense. Didn't think of that. If I'm understanding correctly that would up ramp rate, though I guess not enough to matter in most cases.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Working...
                    X