Anybody run a car without a starter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody run a car without a starter?

Not a technical question per say hence the general area. Say you buy a car with a bad starter but it's a manual trans. Could you possibly bump start it and drive er home? I do have a starter probably only take a few minutes put in but they don't want anyone working on it. My luck something else would be bad.. setting a year at least the gas won't be to bad. What do you say?
    91 rusty Festiva 260k

If you're asking if you could do it as a one time thing, I'd say yes. Would I want to drift/bump start it every time? No.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Why not?
      91GL BP/F3A with boost
      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

just don't stall 'er out between there and home and you'd be fine, but like Bat said, I wouldn't wanna do it every time you drove it. it'd get quite annoying that way.
        Last edited by DrMaxwellEdison; 12-13-2010, 07:14 PM.
        Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
        89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
        Projects in the works:
        84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

That's what I thought.. may have to black tape the wires up. I guess we'll find out tomorrow morning. Uhaul wants 50 for a dolley. Dragging something 30 miles with my wife in lead doesn't sound like fun!
          91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

If it's a EFI engine, make sure you have a charged battery to drive the fuel pump, otherwise your going nowhere.
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

my starter went out in my b2000,drove it around like that for 3 weeks. little trucks are easy to push,but if i had the money id get a starter and put it in asap.

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                If it's a EFI engine, make sure you have a charged battery to drive the fuel pump, otherwise your going nowhere.
                Oh yeah I'll have that.. at least for the emergency flashers.
                91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Originally posted by ericsmith32 View Post
                  That's what I thought.. may have to black tape the wires up. I guess we'll find out tomorrow morning. Uhaul wants 50 for a dolley. Dragging something 30 miles with my wife in lead doesn't sound like fun!
                  Drug my Aspire home 2 hours like that, but with a tow bar. My buddy's awesome driving ruined the tow bar, and had me wanting to kill him by the end of it. If you're attached to your wife at all, do it any other way.
                  Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                  91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

if the solenoid is pooched, you could always arc the posts on the starter, works on Diesels
                    B6 with lightweight Flywheel, FMS street cam
                    Holy heck gee willickers its fast!!drool

Comment

once started, the charging system should be fine. i see no reason how or why push starting a manual car could possibly harm it unless you have a complete idiot behind the wheel...
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Over the years, done that countless times. Never hurt a thing.
                        Give it shove (or park facing downhill) roll it, and pop the clutch. Drive.
                        Dont forget to have the key in the "on" position!
                        Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                        Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                        Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                        http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

"Dont forget to have the key in the "on" position! "

Yes as above, two reasons, Ignition and Steering lock!

Been there!!!!
                          Aspires and Sways all around, Miata B6 installed, KYB G2Rs just installed in front. Wish for coil overs someday.

Comment

You can even push start it in reverse, but it's a little harder to do. You have to put it in reverse first, push the clutch in, get it rolling pretty good, pop the clutch, and push the clutch back in as soon as it fires. I have a slight "downhill" out of my garage and we've started a car several times by pushing it out of the garage backwards. Like others have said, the only bad part is if you stall it in traffic. If you are going to drive it without a starter, take a couple large friends with you in case you stall it and need a push start.
                            You gonna race that thing?
                            http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Guess won't be able to find out.. wonder how much a divorce is going to run me selfish c()!..
                              91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Working...
                              X