No announcement yet.

Also shopping for a (NICE) Festiva ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Also shopping for a (NICE) Festiva ...

Well, I've had my Festiva for two years now and am getting fond of it. It was a $700 salvage-title car, it has junkyard fenders, hood, dash and windshield on, upholstery is shot, one wiper mount is dodgy, and a few little things don't work on it.

But it has no rust, I've put new front and rear wheel bearings on it and it continues to turn in 43-44 MPG and carries me wherever I want to go, so that's all I ask out of a car.

I've now lent it to a car-less friend who needs a way back and forth to work, and it may or may not survive that interval (I don't know how long he'll need it), so I'm looking for my next Festiva.

This time I want one that's in the top 5% of nice originals in the country. No rust, good original paint, or stock-looking repaint, nice interior or one that I could easily have upholstered if the price allowed, everything works, not interstellar miles on it (<100,000 would be nice), 4 or 5speed and A/C.

I see that Kelley and NADA price these at $1600 or so, but I'd be willing to go way over that for a nice car in the middle Atlantic states that I didn't have to chase over the Mississippi or to Florida.

There's what looks like to be one meeting these specs in Hendersonville NC but it's an automatic and I'd rather try for a manual. I've considered fixing up the one I have but no way could I do it for the money - too much body and interior work to do.

Cash waiting. Anyone know of a good one? Keep your eyes open ... I'll be looking for a few months before I go on to something else.

Thanks!

Lannis

If the one in NC meets all your specs, except being an ATX, consider a ATX to manual swap.
    Relatively cheap in comparison to chasing down a mint condition Festiva within your drive range.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Drive it as an auto until spring. In the meantime, collect your parts, shop manual(s) and read up on the procedure. Maybe do a B6 and Aspire swap while you're at it! Could be a good plan.

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

If i don't buy a Crown Vic or a Wrangler (i have an odd selection of car prospects don't i?) i'll be looking for a super clean and maybe modded Festiva.

By the way, ^^^ That's 99.9% city driving :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
          If the one in NC meets all your specs, except being an ATX, consider a ATX to manual swap.
          Relatively cheap in comparison to chasing down a mint condition Festiva within your drive range.
          I've got a shop overflowing with projects now, I'd never get around to a transmission swap on a Festiva ... or maybe I'm just getting to be an old man and not as much energy as the average lister?

Any rate, I've got time, maybe one will turn up!

Lannis

Comment

Well, coming up on a month, with no leads yet.

I'll give it another month and then ... I don't know, a Neon? an old VW Beetle? Don't know what would be the second choice, never thought about it really ....

Lannis

Comment

Good festivas (esp top 5%) are hard to find. Most people treated them as disposable cars.The people who know what they are capable of and took care of them wont part with them . Ill go out on a limb too and say that $1600 wont touch an original top 5% festy.
              Last edited by freshtiva; 01-14-2011, 11:22 PM.
              sigpic
              The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
              https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
              Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Originally posted by freshtiva View Post
                Good festivas (esp top 5%) are hard to find. Most people treated them as disposable cars.The people who know what they are capable of and took care of them wont part with them . Ill go out on a limb too and say that $1600 wont touch an original top 5% festy.
                He did say he would be willing to go "way over that" $1600, that was just KBB or something.
                But trying to find a top 5% festy will be difficult. You'd be better off building it. Finding a really nice one then just building it yourself. My blue festy was a wreck when I bought it. But with just a little work it looks much better.
                That may be an easier route
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
                The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie1717 View Post
                  He did say he would be willing to go "way over that" $1600, that was just KBB or something.
                  My argument was with the "Kelley and NADA price", not Landis.
                  sigpic
                  The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                  https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                  Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Instead of a Neon, etc., maybe get a cheap Aspire so when you pick up your Festiva you'll have suspension/brake swaps on tap. With a two door Aspire, you can also salvage the fuel tank and save for later: 2 door Aspire tanks are the same as Festivas had. Look for an Aspire that looks kinda nasty (bad interior, fender damage, bad paint, etc.) but has good parts and runs well so you can get some use out of it in the meantime. It'll also give you spare engine parts and a spare transaxle.

If you plan on a B8 swap, same-same with a '91 to '94 Protege DX. Just make sure the engine has low mileage sweetness.

Karl
                    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
                    X