No announcement yet.

Festiva vs. GM Volt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^Didn't know how they worked. As per my habit of reinventing the wheel, I often don't research before theorizing.
    Last edited by sketchman; 12-21-2010, 09:18 AM.
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

There is, above all, one very large failing to this car.

It is a General Motors product.

'nuff said....
      Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
      Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
      "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

gm

i wouldnt buy anything from government motors.

Comment

Diesel-Electric

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
          Like a "diesel-electric?"

Karl

Now, we're talking!........Just like a locomotive!

Comment

Infastructure of what we already have can extend fossil fuels use by a great deal. Greening up all diesel powered engines across all platforms will fix a lot of issues and start to ween us. By that time electric will continue to catch up.

As far as the current diesel electric passenger size vehicles out there, unfortunately, no consumer wants to be a mad scientist to make such awesome gains fiddling with their cars to make them go. I admit if i had an original model T ford or larger truck of that era I simply could not drive it without a manual or someone showing me how. Never dealt with one. Hop in and go is what sells. Just look at all the Lexus/Mercedes out there with blown up engines because owners think luxury cars don't even have motor oil inside.
            1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Mattman,

You're right on 70s mpg. I had access to my first car, a beat-to-s**t cancer-stricken yellow 1968 GM Opel Kadette with, I think, a 1.1 liter engine. I never once opened the hood in 2 years of driving 35 miles r/t in-city to school, and I consistently got 38mpg. It had pretty big wheels (15", maybe) and wasn't really that small, so it probably weighed about as much as a Festy.

You can't tell me that engines haven't gotten more efficient since 1968 model year. Or maybe it's that 1,000 pounds of safety gear modern cars haul around -- I get that figure from noting that a MiniCooper weighs in a 2600 lbs. empty, 900 or so more than a Festy.
              88L black, dailydriver
              88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
              4 88/89 disassembled
              91L green
              91GL aqua pwrsteer
              92GL red a/c reardmg
              3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
              1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFestivaGuy View Post
                ...a MiniCooper weighs in a 2600 lbs. empty, 900 or so more than a Festy.
                That's crazy. They need to make a Cooper Carbon version. Stripped out and comp body. I'd "think" about owning one. Not about buying one. Still too much for what you get, but I'd look at it and smile.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

The "New Mini?"

I call 'em "Midis." (In the grand scheme of all cars, they're about medium sized.)

And now to get the bad taste outta my mouth, I've attached two pictures of the "real thing."

Karl
                  '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                  '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                  '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                  '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                  '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Yeah. I like the old ones better too, but I'll never find one that I can afford in this lifetime. New or old, so I just look.

Pretty.
                    Last edited by sketchman; 12-22-2010, 08:03 AM.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                      Exactly! Nothing better than letting those who can afford it pave the way and solve a lot of the little everyday problems that inevitably come up.

It's like just about anything else that's new: guns, car models, computers, etc. Wait a year or two so the bugs get worked out and the technology (and familiarity with that technology) improves.

With electric cars, however, it will probably be more like another four to ten years before they become really practical and affordable.

I can wait!

Karl
                      I love early adopters
                      Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                      Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                      "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

I believe the Nissan Leaf will be a game changer.

Comment

Here's a short video of a of people raving about their experience driving an electric car.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                          X