Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vehicle Vehicle inspection requirements in MD, VA, or DC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vehicle Vehicle inspection requirements in MD, VA, or DC?

I'm possibly going to be doing some work in the area around DC, say between Alexandria and Baltimore for a while. If at all possible, I'd be picking up a East Coast Festy (manual with FI only, i.e. 90-93) instead of driving or shipping one from my Seattle fleet.

Can anybody tell me the pros/cons of any of these jurisdictions regarding vehicle inspections? We don't have the concept of vehicle (safety) inspections in WA or AK, just emissions. Naturally, I'd be maintaining the car properly, but there likely would be a period of time from initial purchase when I might want to let a few non-critical things slide until I get established with a place to work on the car (and warmer weather).

How old does a car in these places have to be to become exempt, and from what does it become exempt, just emissions, or also safety?
    88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

I guess in major cities they may do an emmisions test here in Virginia but all I've ever had to do is a safety inspection once a year.... as for MD and DC I have no idea... I think there was a thread about MD earlier this year.... http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ighlight=Shore
    Last edited by DrMaxwellEdison; 12-20-2010, 09:18 PM. Reason: link added
    Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
    89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
    Projects in the works:
    84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

Yep, in VA there are no emissions testing. They test our brakes, lights, exhaust, etc yearly.
      youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Maryland requires you to get an inspection sticker from an authorized mechanic, they check everything such as brake pads, rotor thickness, tires ect. Emissions test is every two years. If you get historic tags (car must be at least 20 years old) then you don't need an inpection or emissions- bring title and insurance to mva and get tags. Registation costs about half for historic tags compared to regular tags. A historic tagged car cannot be your daily transportaion which means you must have another car registgered with regular tags. I have three cars with historic tags, including my 1988 Festiva.

Comment

Working...
        X