Window Tint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window Tint

So, I broke my driver's side window regulator the other day. I took the door panel off and removed the glass to access the regulator. I figured, since the glass is out, I'd give it a shot tinting my own windows with 20% tint.

Very pleased with the results so far. I did the driver's window 2 nights ago....... Just did the 2 rear side windows last night. I'll get pics of those soon. Being able to lay the glass on the dining room table makes tinting them a piece of cake!

~Phil
    My Whips:

looks good! No dust, bubbles or awkward edge cuts, haha!
    -Zack
    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

No dust or bubbles at all......... cutting the edges was a piece of cake too..... just had to use a steady hand. Slid the razor at a 45 degree angle along the edge of the glass so the tint literally goes to the very edge.

I did mess up a few tiny edges but you can't see em

Originally posted by crazyrog17 View Post
      looks good! No dust, bubbles or awkward edge cuts, haha!
      My Whips:

Comment

Side windows are all tinted! I'm going to go pick up some "Bar Keepers Friend" and polish the outsides of the glass before re-installing tomorrow.

All in all they came out GREAT. Not too shabby for my first tint job. Tint right to the edges...... almost looks factory Tomorrow I remove the back hatch and tint the glass in that......... will be a little tougher becuase I'm not removing the glass..... but atleast laying it flat will make it easier to work on

My Whips:

Comment

20% huh
          not sure on the laws there but if it's the same as here and u have the same pita cops enjoy the tickets lol
          but does look well done

Comment

sup man, did you tint your back window? I tried doing mine but it was hard haha

Comment

Where did you get the tint? I am wanting to do this myself as well, looks great by the way!

88 Festy L (The White Thunder)
              91 L came and gone, owned only 2 days

Comment

walmart
                -Zack

Comment

I've always had tinted windows and my general rule of thumb is... Cops generally leave you alone unless you are really driving like an asshole...

But yes, 20% is illegal here.

Bought the "premium" 20% tint from Walmart.... About $11.66/roll. You will need 3 rolls.
                  My Whips:

Comment

Originally posted by hckrphil View Post
                    Bought the "premium" 20% tint from Walmart.... About $11.66/roll. You will need 3 rolls.
                    I've got the same. I did my back windows on the '93MGM but the project lost traction when I got scared of screwing up the back window. No easy way to remove that one!
                    -Zack

Comment

ARGH! What a pain in the ASS the back window is...... I just ripped off my tint. Somehow it got creased and looked like major shit........ Now I'm either going to just PAY someone to do the back window which I rather not.... or maybe I'll get the rear window tint pre-cut so it just slaps down. Having to cut the edges really screwed me.....

And of course, tomorrow is New Years and no one will be open.... so my hatch is off and now I get to put it back on. Removed it for NOTHING!!!!!!! Totally pissed......
                      My Whips:

Comment

Of course today is New Years day so i'm sure all the tint shops will be closed........... I always have bad timing haha
                        Last edited by hckrphil; 12-31-2010, 11:18 PM.
                        My Whips:

Comment

Did you try to install it in one piece or cut it in strips?
                          "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

One piece... Window isn't curved that much.
                            My Whips:

Comment

cut it first from the outside and you can heat gun it to form it to the window if that's how it got creased.

then go ahead and install it on the inside of the glass, precut and ready to go.
                              -Zack

Comment

Working...
                              X