Forced into buying a vehicle I don't want

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forced into buying a vehicle I don't want

As some of you may know, I'm moving from Houston to Spokane soon. I'm going to be working for my uncle, an apartment landlord.

I'll be needing transportation instantly when I get there, and my uncle mentioned to my dad that he had an Isuzu Pup he'd fixed up and was willing to sell me for $1500.

My dad loved the idea, and when I told him I didn't want a truck, he basically said that I was going to get the truck, and not another "unreliable Festiva." My parents seem to think this car is problematic because I'm always under the hood doing something to it. Fact is, my Festiva has been extremely reliable, but I just love tinkering with cars and doing stuff to make them perform a little better.

So it looks like I'm being forced to buy this truck, which I don't want. I don't want to spend $1500, a sum which I do not posess. However, my uncle might take offense to me refusing his generous offer (it probably is a good deal, but I don't want a truck), and I want to avoid that if at all possible.

My parents tell me to think realistically. I guess they don't know I love Festivas, that they're cheap, get good gas mileage (VERY important to me in a daily driver), and are very reliable.

What should I do? How do I get out of this trap? Help!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Tim
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

uncle shmuncle. nix the truck. for $1500 you could get anywhere from 3 to 30 festivas.

Comment

Re: Forced into buying a vehicle I don't want

Originally posted by Tim
      As some of you may know, I'm moving from Houston to Spokane soon. I'm going to be working for my uncle, an apartment landlord.

I'll be needing transportation instantly when I get there, and my uncle mentioned to my dad that he had an Isuzu Pup he'd fixed up and was willing to sell me for $1500.

My dad loved the idea, and when I told him I didn't want a truck, he basically said that I was going to get the truck, and not another "unreliable Festiva." My parents seem to think this car is problematic because I'm always under the hood doing something to it. Fact is, my Festiva has been extremely reliable, but I just love tinkering with cars and doing stuff to make them perform a little better.

So it looks like I'm being forced to buy this truck, which I don't want. I don't want to spend $1500, a sum which I do not posess. However, my uncle might take offense to me refusing his generous offer (it probably is a good deal, but I don't want a truck), and I want to avoid that if at all possible.

My parents tell me to think realistically. I guess they don't know I love Festivas, that they're cheap, get good gas mileage (VERY important to me in a daily driver), and are very reliable.

What should I do? How do I get out of this trap? Help!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Tim
      Stand tall and tell them flat out that it's your money, your decision. Unless they are willing to buy the truck for you, no strings attached.
      "Nothing's gonna grieve us
      When we drive Festivas
      I could go a hundred miles an hour
      Long as I got the Almighty Power
      With my plastic Jesus
      Riding on the dashboard of my car"

Comment

Tim, try and be as diplomatic as you can. Be very thankful for your uncle's truck, but offer to "rent" it from him until you can get a reliable Festiva up and running. Tell all concerned that Festivas are your hobby and passion, and that they motivate you to learn about car mechanics, which will save you much money in the future and make you a more "valuable package" for a nice wife.

BTW, pickup trucks can be quite useful for fetching large, heavy objects from nearby junkyards and garage sales! Keeps the interior of your little hatchback nice and clean, too!

If you did buy the truck, how long would you be expected to keep it, and is there any room or other resources for fixing up a cheap Festiva?

GET CREATIVE, SON!

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

What year is it? Which motor does it have? You could always turbo the truck with parts from an impulse. Speaking of, I have all the parts needed to do that, but no truck.
          The Festiva Store
          Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

I'm going to be polite about it - I like the idea of "renting" the truck. I admit they are extremely useful for moving stuff, but I could always borrow one from my Uncle to bring home that junkyard treasure.

I don't know how long I'll be in Spokane either. It may or may not be permanent, and I don't want to spend that much money on a vehicle I'm fairly sure won't make the drive back to Texas. In order to pay for this, I'll have to dip into my life savings/college fund, something I do NOT want to do. I'd rather spend $100 on a beater Festiva that will get me around town until my decision is permanent, that way I won't be losing any money if I don't stay.

There's plenty of room and resources for me to stash a fleet of Festivas, if I wanted to!!

I don't know what year the truck is, probably from the mid-80s as my uncle likes oddball trucks from around then.

Thanks guys! You've given me a ray of hope!!! :thumbup:

Regards,

Tim
            White '89L auto - Sold!
            Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

y cant you keep your festivas? no need for a truck when you have a festiva
              90 L FI..second B3
              90 L Parts car
              Jay

Comment

Originally posted by studdyhalllooser
                y cant you keep your festivas? no need for a truck when you have a festiva
                that's true too. what on earth can a truck haul that a festiva can't?

Comment

that's true too. what on earth can a truck haul that a festiva can't? [/quote]

Another Festiva

Comment

festiva

guess you haven't seen the festiva's hauling the festivas on the site, its happened

Comment

^^^ My friend wants to let me use his truck to dolly my other Festy home , I said I wanted to weld a hitch on and use my festy to bring him home. :lol: :lol: I have seen the pic of the one on here :thumbleft:
                      ------------------------------------------------
                      The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                      Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                      HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                      Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                      Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                      Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                      Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                      90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                      It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Originally posted by packrat427
                        ^^^ My friend wants to let me use his truck to dolly my other Festy home , I said I wanted to weld a hitch on and use my festy to bring him home. :lol: :lol: I have seen the pic of the one on here :thumbleft:
                        If I'm staying in Spokane permanently, I'll probably drive a Festiva down to Texas with a trailer on the back...

Regards,

Tim
                        White '89L auto - Sold!
                        Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

I haven't called that guy yet to find out what is wrong with the car, but there is a festiva in centralia for $150. Centralia is about 3.5 hours from spokane though.
                          OX SMASH!!

Comment

Re: festiva

Originally posted by Gforcefd
                            guess you haven't seen the festiva's hauling the festivas on the site, its happened

why yes, it has, hasn't it!

That's Uncle Fester dragging home what has been currently dubbed FrankenFester....
                            Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                            Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

You want the Festiva let them know, but remember...you cant go asking them for money to fix the festiva EVER. You gotta stick with your decision. Growing up my father let us make our own choices but we had to also live with the consequences.
                              Those who think drifting through life is easy, never tried it in an FWD.

Comment

Working...
                              X