What could make it "knock"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What could make it "knock"?

I'm looking to buy a festy, one that I've talked about here in another thread...
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=33029

Now the seller listed the car with a description that says it makes a noise...

I bit and I'm picking it up later today but I can't stop wondering what could make it, as the seller says, "knock" (see linked thread).

Could it be ignition as I'm guessing? (distributor/rotor/wires/plugs/coil)

Timing belt jump a tooth or two? (as I understand, this is unlikely)

Headgasket? ( )

Just give me some idea of what to look for when I see it, please.
    -Zack
    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

It may just be that the valves' hydraulic lash adjusters are gunked and noisy. Although a knock is a very different sound. How far away from you is the car?
    Oscar

Comment

its a standard it could also be a throw-out bearing going bad. That is happening on my aspire, and the guy i bought it from said it knocked. It only knocks when the clutch isnt pushed in though, lol
      1990 Festiva L "puddles". 187,000 mi. All stock, B8 coming this fall to a festiva near you

Do not write below this line; for office use only

Comment

Originally posted by perucho View Post
        It may just be that the valves' hydraulic lash adjusters are gunked and noisy. Although a knock is a very different sound. How far away from you is the car?
        Easy fix?

Originally posted by ckiesman View Post
        its a standard it could also be a throw-out bearing going bad. That is happening on my aspire, and the guy i bought it from said it knocked. It only knocks when the clutch isnt pushed in though, lol
        It's an automatic
        -Zack

Comment

Originally posted by crazyrog17 View Post
          Easy fix?

(
          Could be as easy as running some seafoam on the crankcase, draining the oil, and refilling with new quality oil. If the HLAs are ticking, I would still buy the car. It's fairly common on these cars.
          Oscar

Comment

the person who has the car really isnt much of a car person ya know i called it to see an the description was a noise or a knock ..my lil lady is thinking about maybe trying to get this one but we dont have the time to go to OH right now an it looks like im gonna have to do a radiator an possibly a water pump on tankstiva so i gotta search for that ....but i would say go ahead buy it an if the motor is bad do a simple swap everyone says the B6 is the easiest to do its a 40 hp gain so you really cant lose
            Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy an taste great with katsup!!!

Comment

Mattman wrote:

"...everyone says the B6 is the easiest to do its a 40 hp gain..."

Yes, the B6 is easiest, but it gives a 19 hp gain, not 40 hp. The B8 (1.8 SOHC 16V) would give a 40 hp gain.

Karl
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Why don't you just go look at the damn thing. Then you decide what's wrong. Everyone here is just guessing in the dark!!!
                Chuck
                Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
                If money will fix it, it's not broken
                91 GL -Ol' Rusty
                93 GL - Lil Red
                91 L - Tweetystiva
                http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
                http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

Well it's in my driveway now, haha...

-Zack

Comment

Working...
                  X