Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Been gone awhile, Festrailer is success!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been gone awhile, Festrailer is success!!

I've been out of the loop for some time now but I've had a chance to slow down and to scratch some things off off my projects list.

I got the the trailer pretty much finished and took it on our Christmas trip. It was 500 miles round trip and it pulled awesome, even at over 70 MPH. We had to take it because we couldn't fit everything in my wife's 4-door sedan.

I finally took care of the bad strut and finished lining the interior. I still need to reattach the lid liner better and I'm considering installing lowering springs so that it looks good and level even when empty. We had it crammed full all the way to the top on our trip and it sat just about level though.

It took a hit on the MPG pulling 3 people and a full trailer while cruising at 70 but it still got what the other car does.
    1992 Flamestiva with matching Festrailer
    1994 Mercury Capri XR2 turbo
    1992 Aerostar "Hot Wheels" custom
    FoMoCo toy car collector for 20 years

Looks awesome!
    "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

that's too sweet! great paint paint job and it's going to look awesome with the new springs you're talking about!
      -Zack
      Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

That looks awesome! Did you take any pictures of the build? I'm thinking of doing much the same. What I'm most interested in is how you did the frame/tongue.

Thanks
        Ian
        Calgary AB, Canada
        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

I took pics on the build but can't find them. I know I took a bunch of the cut job when I sliced the parts car and of the fabrication on the front and top. We'll see if they show up.

I used the bottom half of the rear hatch for the backside, the center of a 1970 F100 hood for the front and fabricated the top from square tubed steel and flat stock steel. The top is probably almost as heavy as the rest of the trailer. I had considered re-doing it in aluminum. I covered the interior with fabric and the floor is a 1" particle board covered in the same fabric.

I used two Festiva hatch shocks for the top and it worked well when I had first built it but they are weak and don't do the job now (hence the prop rod at the back).

The tongue is tube steel with a standard hitch welded to it. I ran the "A" frame under the floor and welded it to the cross-member back near the fuel tank area then ran bolts through it and the floor for extra rigidity. So it's welded at the front panel (all the way around the frame rails), back at cross-member and also bolted. I used an aluminum toolbox for the diamond plate that covers the frame. It's nice in that it covers the frame and gives it a cleaner look. It also gives you something to step on if you want to get to the other side.

I had to put the latch that's at the bottom of the hatch up on the top so I had to reverse the handle action to release the latch. I relocated the lock cylinder under the map light cover as well.

Comment

Looks great.
            -Greg
            Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
            BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
            Redneck Engineer
            FOTY - '09
            5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Very nice fabrication. Did you use the Festiva springs/shocks in their original location? That is, are the strut towers still being used? Spare wheel well still under the particle board floor?
              I hope you can find your build pics.

Comment

Awesome skills, That could pass as a factory option.
                91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
                14 C7 Z51

Comment

Very nice !! Good job :thumbright:
                  sigpic
                  The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                  https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                  Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

That is so cool! I want one.
                    Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                    '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                    '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

That is awesome, great work!
                      90 Festiva L Auto - Parts
                      93 Festiva L 5 speed
                      93 Festiva LX 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieZ View Post
                        Very nice fabrication. Did you use the Festiva springs/shocks in their original location? That is, are the strut towers still being used? Spare wheel well still under the particle board floor?
                        I hope you can find your build pics.
                        Yes, it's all Festiva underneath. That's the beauty of using the car body for the trailer. The only change that I need to make on the OEM stuff is on the factory springs. I thought it would be heavy enough with the fabricated top to be about a break even on the weight thereby giving me the right stance. I'll need to go with some shorter, stouter springs to get the level right and still be able to carry a load. So you can basically cut the car across the floor at the front of the quarter panels and box it in. If you look at the picture you can see the fabric bulged where the strut tower is and yes, the spare is still there. That's another advantage to using the OEM stuff. All wheels are the same so if I have a flat I have 2 spares.

It's funny, the car actually rides nicer with the load back there.

I was able to use the factory wire harness to hook up the lamps in the rear. It took a flat 4-prong connector and I had to add a 5th wire to get the backups to work. Okay, you don't really have to have the backups but I have a friend that gave me a hardtime about it until I gave in.

Comment

That is so sick! I love it!
                          89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
                          My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

That is so insane! I love it, i like how the paintjob is reversed on the trailer

88 Festy L (The White Thunder)
                            91 L came and gone, owned only 2 days

Comment

Awesome paintjob! That trailer is sick!

Comment

Working...
                              X