Snow, festivas, and you.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow, festivas, and you.

Howdy fellas. Just wondering what you guys think about our festys in the snow? I didn't really think mine would do so good but to my amazement I haven't got stuck yet. My 91 GL didn't do so well seeing that it has total slicks on the front but my BP powered fester does great. It only has about half tread left and seems to hook up good in the fresh snow. It is a pain to control the gobs of power from the bp plus the 6 puck clutch but if babied it does great. I really hope im not going to jynx myself by posting this, but i mainly just wanted to hear some of your snow travels in your festys.

Thanks for reading!
    89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
    My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Mine does awesome in the snow.
    I have a set of winter tires so that helps.
    Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
    1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

I have taken mine in the snow only once for about 150 miles of snow and it did great! And its small enough to pass up the center in the powder! There was a couple times I caught some ruts that where too wide and it kinda tossed me around but not bad. I bought cable chains for the trip but decided that I felt comfortable without them.

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
      1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
      R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
      00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
      03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
      pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
      Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
      Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

91 festy gl wrote:

"It is a pain to control the gobs of power from the bp plus the 6 puck clutch but if babied it does great."

You know you can do a B3 engine swap, right? Same engine family, but a lot less power, and better fuel economy as a plus!

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Ability to go in the snow is one of the reasons I love my Festivas. All the snow we got here last year, and I didn't miss a day of work. Festiva FTW!!

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
          1989 L - 247K miles Slick
          1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
          Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
            91 festy gl wrote:

"It is a pain to control the gobs of power from the bp plus the 6 puck clutch but if babied it does great."

You know you can do a B3 engine swap, right? Same engine family, but a lot less power, and better fuel economy as a plus!

Karl
            True, true but I love the power. it wouldnt be so bad if my clutch wasnt so grabby. I think thats because of the hydrolic setup we used. Thanks for the idea though lmfao I might have to downgrade!

Comment

I used to drive mine 40 miles to work and back 5 days a week. South Dakota winters can be brutal. I also have driven it twice to Billings, Montana in a blizzard, 368 miles each way. The only problem I encountered was the slush moves the car around. Not much weight to hold the car on the road. This was with a set of Hercules 12" all season radials. Hydroplaning was the only problem.
              Chuck
              Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
              If money will fix it, it's not broken
              91 GL -Ol' Rusty
              93 GL - Lil Red
              91 L - Tweetystiva
              http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
              http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

Originally posted by hotfordcat View Post
                I used to drive mine 40 miles to work and back 5 days a week. South Dakota winters can be brutal. I also have driven it twice to Billings, Montana in a blizzard, 368 miles each way. The only problem I encountered was the slush moves the car around. Not much weight to hold the car on the road. This was with a set of Hercules 12" all season radials. Hydroplaning was the only problem.
                Them are the exact same tires im running right now!

Comment

Drove mine in the snow for the first time last Winter. I was amazed. Big 4WD trucks and SUV's were having all kinds of trouble. My Festy went around them like the road was dry.
                  Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                  '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                  '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Other than being lowered and scraping in the deeper stuff my Festiva is awsome in the snow, especially with the winter tires on!
                    Ian
                    Calgary AB, Canada
                    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

I honestly would choose my festiva over my dodge truck any day in the snow! Its less expensive, and no matter how much snow or how much ice is on the roads, i can go anywhere. Like 5 people called me from my work to come pick them up before work (On seperate ocassions of course), i dont even have chains on.

88 Festy L (The White Thunder)
                      91 L came and gone, owned only 2 days

Comment

I couldnt get through these drifts

sigpic
                        The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                        https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                        Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

How dare you drive such a clean Festiva in the salt & slush!!
                          That gem should be in a warm garage under a blanket, waiting for spring.
                          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
                            How dare you drive such a clean Festiva in the salt & slush!!
                            That gem should be in a warm garage under a blanket, waiting for spring.
                            LMFAO! Wow I didn't realize so many people drive there festys in the snow.

Comment

I have a jeep tj with some big tires and sure I love it for 2 foot deep snow but general ice and heavey snow covered streets my festiva with goodyear nordic snow tires is a beast!!
                              12 inch tires are very narrow so they cut down to the traction real good so i am always fine.

if you get stuck festivas are very light so a simple push will get you out of what you drove into if you drove into it nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X