Winter heat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter heat?

I've read about the different types of t-stats and will change mine.

However I have a question. Don't have another Festiva to look at so I don't know the answer. Swifts, etc have a metal blank off plate behind the grill on the passenger side. This stops the onrushing below zero airflow while driving.
    My Festiva does not have one. Question is do they? or is mine just missing.

My 88 festiva has a small plate,but I think it's to keep excess water out of the engine bay thrown up by cars in front of you. Air conditioned festivas do not have it.
    1960 willys pickup
    1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
    1989 festiva
    1990 festiva for parts
    1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

I have a grill block, above the bumper, that I think in this kind of weather helps reduce the heat stripped from the engine by air entering into/out of the engine compartment.
      Thinking of making a block off for the "grill" on the bottom of the bumper cover as well.
      Just need to make sure your thermostat and engine temp gage are working correctly.
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

ecomodder.com is the place to check out DIY "home depot motorsports" projects in the art of keeping temps up for economy and reducing wind drag. The quicker you get to temp and the longer it stays there will pay back the odds and ends you purchase to make grill blocks and what not. On my aspire i sealed up the underside and it made the car quieter at highway speed, an extra benefit.
        1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

I have a piece of card board covering the entire grill area. if I'm under 40* i can run all day on the interstate @ 4000rpms & not worry
          It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

I just snuggied in a piece of cardboard over my rad...
            Previous owner of ZEFstiva

Comment

Hey, me too!
              Buck.
              -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
              -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
              -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

To stay warm in the winter weather I installed a heated seat. Amazing idea!

-1989 festiva auto to standard conversion, bp g5mr white, aspire swap- October 2010 Festiva of the Month
                -1993 festiva stock standard blue, kia rio front struts

Comment

I finally got mine to stay IN THE [ bracket regardless of speed!! So I have plenty of heat, it just can't keep up with the massive windows when they're down.
                  Buck.
                  -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
                  -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
                  -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

I took a large piece of plexiglass (it came from a de-commissioned light table) and cut it to fit exactly in front of the radiator. Cut notches out of the top, to accomodate the brackets. Also cut-out rectangular opening, crosswise, to allow some airflow (estimate about 85% "blockage"). To install, remove top radiator brackets, slip insert between frame and rad, reinstall brackets, and done. Really boosted my heat.

Caution: remember to remove, when weather gets above 40 degree range.

Cheers,

Scott
                    Famous Last Words: "How hard can it be?"

Comment

Working...
                    X