Erratic cluster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erratic cluster

My tach cluster in my '92 did something strange this morning. I started the car and since it was revved up for the warm up I looked at the tach and there was no tach. I noticed the fuel gauge wasn't reading as well. The temp gauge was pegged left but it was cold so that's expected. I let it warm for a minute or so, drove 1 mile and stopped at a store. When I came out and restarted the car the gauges all worked as usual.
    It was in the single digits here this morning so I expect it to do weird things but I thought the entire cluster was electronic except for the cable operated speedometer.
    What could cause it to not work until warmed up?
    1992 Flamestiva with matching Festrailer
    1994 Mercury Capri XR2 turbo
    1992 Aerostar "Hot Wheels" custom
    FoMoCo toy car collector for 20 years

Suspect the contacts on the back of the cluster (white round connectors) might not have been making a good contact due to contraction from the cold, but once it was say even 10 degrees warmer the metal expanded enough to re-establish a connection.
    Just a guess.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Makes sense. The cable makes more noise the colder it is as well. The whole car makes more noise when it's bitter like this. I can't complain, I seem to be more sensitive to cold the older I get too.
      1992 Flamestiva with matching Festrailer
      1994 Mercury Capri XR2 turbo
      1992 Aerostar "Hot Wheels" custom
      FoMoCo toy car collector for 20 years

Comment

Yeah, my speedo make more noise and for longer when it's in the teens and below.
        But eventually quiets down and operates smoothly when it get a little warmed up.
        If it really bothered me, I could pull and lube the cable.
        Last edited by Pu241; 01-12-2011, 12:18 PM.
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

my left tail light stopped working when it got below 40*F . upon inspection i found that the pin i the tail light connector was faulty from the factor. they had crimped the insulation over the wires... i just soldiered it and now problem is solved. when the soldiering iron heated it up it pushed most of the insulation out of the crimp.
          I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X