Mazda or Kia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazda or Kia?

My 89 Festiva has a made in Korea sticker under the hood. Was it made by Kia? Can you tell by the VIN?

Yep, made by Kia, with a Mazda engine. If you peruse the site, using search, you can find out a lot more history. Search for Kia Pride, and Mazda 121... you'll see what I mean.

Welcome to the site! If you can, go back to your profile, and add your location. We love to see where people are at...

Cheers,

Scott
    Famous Last Words: "How hard can it be?"

Comment

This might help..
      Ford Festiva Com is an informative web site devoted to Ford Festiva. Updated frequently
      "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

^^Like they said, you can use the Pride and 121 parts on our cars to change the look!
        Brian
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
        :fish:

Comment

So Mazda was already making the 121 for America? Then Ford (who owns Mazda at the time, right?) gets Kia to build the same car for us, alongside the Japanese Mazda 121? Then Mazda decides to make the 121 for Japan and other markets too as Kia makes the Pride for South Korea and America (under the Ford nameplate)?

So basically all of our cars in America are the same, and Ford, Kia, and Mazdas interchange, though one could have built in Japan and the other basically same design built in South Korea?

Am I right or am I really confused? LOL!

Comment

It's the same story with the Aspire.
            Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
            '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
            '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Originally posted by gjsuicide View Post
              Can you tell by the VIN?
              yes, the KNJ in the VIN = KIA
              Last edited by freshtiva; 01-16-2011, 08:49 AM.
              sigpic
              The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
              https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
              Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Weird thing being that the japanese ford festiva was made by mazda in japan. Most every other festiva was built in korea...
                It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Originally posted by KoD88 View Post
                  So Mazda was already making the 121 for America? Then Ford (who owns Mazda at the time, right?) gets Kia to build the same car for us, alongside the Japanese Mazda 121? Then Mazda decides to make the 121 for Japan and other markets too as Kia makes the Pride for South Korea and America (under the Ford nameplate)?

So basically all of our cars in America are the same, and Ford, Kia, and Mazdas interchange, though one could have built in Japan and the other basically same design built in South Korea?

Am I right or am I really confused? LOL!
                  The 121 was never sold in America. US released Festivas are mazda design and components assembled by KIA in Korea.
                  youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

OK the last two posts really helped! That makes a lot of sense.

Comment

Originally posted by KoD88 View Post
                      OK the last two posts really helped!
                      Well I tried :p:p
                      sigpic
                      The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                      https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                      Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

My Festiva instrument clusters all have Japanese markings, but my Aspire one is in Korean and says Kia.
                        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
                        X