Today's Lesson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's Lesson

Today's lesson, boys and girls, is: never overlook the obvious.

Yesterday I removed my Aspire SE instrument cluster in order to paint the needles with luminous paint. I also removed the blue rubber covers on the light bulbs, for more brightness. Especially useful for the odometer and trip odo.

Upon reinstalling, first I checked the lights by plugging in the black plug on the rear of the cluster. Good lights. I then finished installing the cluster.

Yesterday evening I went to my mother's house for a good dinner. I drove there during daylight, so the lights weren't on. When I left, my cluster lights were super-dim, basically useless, and also HVAC and radio lights were not working.

I got home anyway, and this morning pulled the cluster and checked the individual bulbs and fuses; all good of course. Stared at the rear of the cluster for awhile, then went to the forum and did a search on the problem. This led me to the dimmer switch, but that seems way too coincidental that it would have gone out yesterday of all days.

I plugged the black plug in, turned on the parking lights, then turned the dimmer switch. Cluster lights! Also HVAC and radio. Apparently after checking that the lights were good during the initial install, I must have moved the dimmer switch to the off position with my arm, while wrestling the cluster back in.

I hope you all enjoyed today's lesson and had a good laugh with/at me.
    Last edited by TominMO; 01-17-2011, 12:11 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

At least your car ran after one of your Murphy encounters. If it would have been me, I'd have kinked and grounded a wire that blew all the important fuses.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

Originally posted by anomoly40 View Post
      At least your car ran after one of your Murphy encounters. If it would have been me, I'd have kinked and grounded a wire that blew all the important fuses.
      I have learned not to start hacking at wiring or take other drastic actions when something like this happens.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I ment I'd tightened a screw down on the wire of Velcor.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

My ex girlfriend did the same thing with the dimmer switch. She had a 2000 celica and called me one night saying her dash lights went out, driving home with the light on her phone to see, I checked all the fuses and then felt stupid when I rubbed up against the dimmer and they turned on. haha

88 Festy L (The White Thunder)
          91 L came and gone, owned only 2 days

Comment

Originally posted by devon527 View Post
            My ex girlfriend did the same thing with the dimmer switch. She had a 2000 celica and called me one night saying her dash lights went out, driving home with the light on her phone to see, I checked all the fuses and then felt stupid when I rubbed up against the dimmer and they turned on. haha
            Man, women are so dumb. Oh wait....

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Well she made me believe that it wasnt the dimmer because they were off when she started the car. Hope that last reply wasnt a joke on me! hahaha

88 Festy L (The White Thunder)
              91 L came and gone, owned only 2 days

Comment

There's reason I put:

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes...in my signature! lol

I do that kinda stuff all the time
                Last edited by drddan; 01-17-2011, 05:56 PM.
                Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Originally posted by devon527 View Post
                  Well she made me believe that it wasnt the dimmer because they were off when she started the car. Hope that last reply wasnt a joke on me! hahaha
                  That was on me actually.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

So Tom, how do the glow in the dark needles work out? Do you have UV illumination?

Comment

I don't know if you knew this or not but I read a long time ago that painting your needles can throw their accuracy off due to the weight of the paint.

Comment

I'd like to see the repainted cluster!
                        www.cardomain.com/id/jermnc77

Madness Committee Member & Contact Person
                        www.festivamadness.com

Festiva Madness
                        Snoopy's
                        4621 Atlantic Ave
                        Raleigh, NC 27604

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieZ View Post
                          So Tom, how do the glow in the dark needles work out? Do you have UV illumination?
                          Since I also removed the little blue rubber covers from the cluster bulbs, the illuminated needles don't really have much effect becuase the cluster is so much brighter now. It's much easier to read the main odometer, and the trip odo is a bit better too.

Originally posted by KoD88 View Post
                          I don't know if you knew this or not but I read a long time ago that painting your needles can throw their accuracy off due to the weight of the paint.
                          The temp gauge is going to the proper and normal place once the motor warms up, so I think this is a minimal or non-existent issue.
                          Last edited by TominMO; 01-19-2011, 11:02 AM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                            The temp gauge is going to the proper and normal place once the motor warms up, so I think this is a minimal or non-existent issue.
                            Good to hear!

Comment

TominMO, you know in the "good ol' days" a company called U.S. Radium made a paint that you could use and even if you had no cluster lights and you were driving in a cave, you could read your instrument cluster!
                              It did have a side effect.
                              If you licked the brush you were using (to keep a point) to paint the needle and numbers, it would kill you slowly and painfully.
                              Beside that it was a great product.
                              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                              '92 Aqua parts Car
                              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                              Your holy ghost will not save you.
                              Your God plutonium will not save you.
                              In fact...
                              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                              X