Speedometer pinion gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer pinion gear

In the day when you could order cars choosing rear end gear sets from a selection of ratios, the speedometer/odometer remained accurate by installing a speedometer pinion corresponding to the rear end gear set.

Is it possible that there would be speedometer pinions, with different numbers of teeth, from other cars of the Festiva family, that would fit the Festiva tranny to adjust for differences in tire size?

I don't know that it's important. Just another evening thought.

I was wondering something about that myself, couldn't remember about how you did but I knew ya could do it....
    Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
    89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
    Projects in the works:
    84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

When I switched from my 12" tires to my 14" tires, my speedometer actually corrected itself to be spot on now according to my GPS.
      My Whips:

Comment

aspire trans with 185/60/13 tires is exactly the same as the festy trans with stock tires.

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
        1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
        R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
        00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
        03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
        pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
        Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
        Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

Originally posted by hckrphil View Post
          When I switched from my 12" tires to my 14" tires, my speedometer actually corrected itself to be spot on now according to my GPS.
          When I put taller tires on my Crown Vic the same thing happened. I figured my speedo would be off by then but actually was dead on accurate with all of those radar signs that track your speed and digitally post it.

Some of them just aren't accurate from the factory to start with.

Comment

Working...
          X