Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T bone last night: not the tasty kind...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T bone last night: not the tasty kind...

I was on my way to work when I got hit in my RF wheel, fender and door. A guy in a late model Tercel ran his stop sign and T boned me. I spun around and came to a stop. Restarted my car and saw him turn tail and go back up the side street he came out of!

I gave chase, but it was a short one. He had turned into the alley parallelling the main street and pulled into a parking spot at an apartment building. I called 9-1-1 but the cops weren't taking non-injury reports. So I got out and got his basic info--he was still there and "minimally cooperative"--and took pictures of both cars. He said he had insurance with Safe Auto. Afterwards, I went back to the accident scene and found that the pedestrian who had witnessed the accident must have put the big parts on the corner.

Then I took a few more pics and went to work.

My car was Twinstiva, the same one in our calendar for January. No rust, runs well and only 95K miles! Now she will need a new right side door, front fender, inner tie rod, maybe a new 12" alloy wheel (BIG dent in rim but the tire still held air). Rocker panel below was heavily dented and may pose the biggest problem for rehab.

The right inner tie rod is sharply bent right at the tie rod end. When my left tire is straight forward, the right tire is canted out as if for a right turn. Steering is way off and she scrubs pretty bad on dry pavement, but seems safe enough to drive for repairs.

I'll put some pics up later, after I get some more and load them.

No one was hurt.

I got a Columbus PD accident form off the net last night and filled it out to send it. This morning I called my insurance company and "his." Only "his insurance company" never heard of him! I do have uninsured driver's insurance, with a $250 deductable.

I was bummed all night, but it looks like the worst damage was sheet metal and the tie rod took most of the hit and bent. More later.

Oh, his car looked way worse... You'll see.

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 01-21-2011, 09:06 AM.
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

ahahah glad your good and the car is as well lets see those pics and good thing you have uninsured coverage! better safe then sorry i have it because of all the immigrants down here !
    93 L B6T DD http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37751
    RIP_90 LuX http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32249
    RIP 88 LX / B8-MEhttp://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26398

RJ

Comment

That sucks!!! Glad to hear you and the Festiva are ok though and it sounds like an easy enough fix. Must be why the guy in the Tercel ran then, didn't have insurance.

Comment

These are from right after the accident.

My car in the alley he went to park:

His car:

The intersection:

My guess is the pedestrian who saw it all and pointed at him as he left picked up most of the large parts and put them on the roadside.

More in a moment...
        Last edited by Safety Guy; 01-21-2011, 09:18 AM.

Comment

I took more pics this morning.

From the front, showing left tire pointing straight ahead and the right one angled out:

Bent inner tie rod (it's covered in snow):

Sheet metal damage:

Deep slash in door:

Looks to me like the hit was probably centered between my fender and wheel, with the wheel and tie rod taking a lot of the force. Then, because of my forward motion, his front end slid down my door, causing the gash and taking his front fascia off.

I didn't see any damage to the steering rack when I opened the hood last night to check the rack mounts, etc. So maybe most of this is cosmetic, but will be difficult to fix around the rocker panel.

At least no one was hurt and I did "catch" him. Not the best part of town, folks.

Both times I was rear ended in my '86 Aries, nothing resulted. First time the driver gave me a false name, and the second time I'm sure he was uninsured.

Ain't happening again! One reason I have a good camera on me.

Karl

Comment

Glad to hear noone was injured (except for Twin ). It should go back together though. I've never seen a tie rod bent that badly, but at least its a "remove and replace" part. Looks like that Tercel couldn't take a hit lol.
            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Bummer. Glad you're ok.
              '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
              '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
              '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
              '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
              '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
              '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
              '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

That sucks Karl I'm glad you are ok tho. So do you have another way to get to work besides Twin?
                Send An Invite If Ya Want

1991 Ford Festiva GL- Auto

Comment

Thanks guys.

I got Luxstiva running again today. At first I forgot to plug in the VAF and wondered why she was dying at anything over 1600 rpm. Then after looking under the hood (you know, like I knew what I was doing) I discovered my mistake. So I'll be driving a nice B6/ATX with excellent Nokian snows but nasty feeling brakes. On the back roads, not the freeway. I kinda let her go and she needs a big overhaul over most of her systems, including new hard lines.

Drove Luxstiva to pick up my newly cleaned injectors at Hite today. Two sets: one from Aqua and one from the 'yard. Looking nice and new! I really gotta get Aqua running over this weekend. Insurance guy will be out soon to look at Twin. If I hadn't been so lazy I'd have been driving Aqua instead of Twin. More damage would only add to Aqua's "cachet." Then again, fixing a car I just got on the road with everything swapped would have been bad, too!

Burns me that idiots drive without insurance! Then when they do drive, they don't drive competently. But that's to be expected. (The criminologist in me refers anyone interested to Gary Kleck's work on guns and violence "bad actors": those who violate "big" laws like murder and robbery also tend to violate "little" ones like traffic laws, etc., and also are more risk-taking in general. One lesson of course is that they will also violate all the gun laws you can make.)

Karl
                  Last edited by Safety Guy; 01-21-2011, 12:03 PM.

Comment

BTW, that Tercel was a nice looking car too. Probably one of the last model years out. Shame some idiot is essentially on the road, smashing up not just one, but TWO nice little cars!!

Karl

Comment

hey you should file for hit an run OHP arent big fans of hit & run drivers an since you got his tag an all id would have given the white lie an said injury when i called the cops ( in this situation at least ) because INS will probally total your festy for that damage somone on here had a similar hit the other night an INS totaled the car an now he has to have a salvage title seeing that the festy is only valued at 500 bucs in best condition according to the kelly books

i talked with my mom who is a Nationwide agent an she was saying i need to get my festy coverd for classic or collectors ins a then i can set a value on the car in case i get hit so the other ins companies cant lo ball me ....jus passing along what ive found out

really sucks you got hit but its good you werent hurt ..just remember

IT'S A FESTIVA ON ....FORD FFESTIVA .COM INSIDE THIS SITE WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY TO BUILD IT FASTER , STRONGER ,BETTER ( cue the six miliion dollar man soundtrack )
                      Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy an taste great with katsup!!!

Comment

Oh yeah! Twin may be down, but not out.

Karl

Comment

Man that sucks !! The FFC January center fold too . Thats a nice looking festy. Sorry to hear about this. It makes a guy want to get another nonfestiva car so the festys can stay at home where its safe.
                          sigpic
                          The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                          https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                          Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

That sucks! Did you get the witnesses contact info?
                            89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
                            RIP 90LX

Comment

Glad your ok. That was no accident, when people run stops signs or red lights that's intentional to me.
                              91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
                              14 C7 Z51

Comment

Working...
                              X