Towing a Festiva with no Eng/Trans...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing a Festiva with no Eng/Trans...

I'm going to pickup a Festiva parts car. The motor and tranny have been removed but apparently the rack for steering and the tie-rods are still in place. Can I tow it using my Festiva tow-bar?

Now, what if the stabilizer bar has been removed, could I still tow it? I've read where the job of the stabilizer bar is to reduce vehicle roll during cornering. When I tow Festivas with my tow-bar, the vehicle simply follows my 'slight' turns (with the steering wheel unlocked of course). Will I be ok towing it without the cv-joints and the stabilizer bar? (I'm not sure about the bar, it may be on the car). Any help here would be appreciated, I have to pick it up very soon.

I've always wondered how this was done as well. I'm sure someone here will have the answer
    "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

You MUST have at least the outer CV and axle nut in place to hold the hub together.
      If not the hub will separate and your wheels with part of the hub, will go in separate directions from the rest of the festiva.
      At which point your hitch will take most of the weight of your parts festiva and fail, or if at speed, cause you to loose most of your steering control and may well cause the lose of your functioning festiva.
      Last edited by Pu241; 01-27-2011, 02:54 PM.
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Def need the CVs in place like pu241 said. Also the sway arm needs to be in place too. Since the Festiva's control arms only bolt on in one place, the sway bar actually serves as one of the main pivot points of the suspension. Without it the opposite sides of the suspension are free not only to move up and down independently of each other, but also forward and backward in the wheel well independently. I think it would be a very bad idea to tow it without the sway bar in place. At the very least you will destroy the bushings in the control arms. Hope this helps.
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

I've towed them many times with a trl and no axles, but don't think I'd try it with a tow bar !!! There a PRESSED bearing hub and the caliper holds it together as well !! I've never had one just come apart , (without a BFH ) but again I def would not use a tow bar without at least axle stubs !!!
          New build on the way .

Comment

I have had them seperate when flat towing with a bar. Don't do it...
            ---------------------------------------------------
            The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
            ---------------------------------------------------
            BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

just put it in back of a truck like this!! lol.

Comment

Festiva in a pickup?!...

That is so cool dude! I wonder how many pounds a Festiva is without the motor and tranny?

Comment

Originally posted by ajbremer View Post
                  That is so cool dude! I wonder how many pounds a Festiva is without the motor and tranny?
                  guess right @ 1000 or so

Comment

About 800 lbs. I just recycled a shell. Thats also minus the glass seats and a bunch of other stuff. Maybe start with the festiva at 1700. Minus 70 for trans, and 175 for engine. so about 1450.
                    youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by neanderpaul View Post
                      About 800 lbs. I just recycled a shell. Thats also minus the glass seats and a bunch of other stuff. Maybe start with the festiva at 1700. Minus 70 for trans, and 175 for engine. so about 1450.
                      1450 prolly closer than a 1000 we now have better idea of empty weight lol
                      Last edited by bikerdude0269; 01-27-2011, 08:41 PM.

Comment

i used large grade 8 bolts and washers with nylock nuts for towing, but YOU MUST have the sway bar in place to locate the control arm.
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                        X