No announcement yet.

Trade your Fesiva expertise for two rust-free fuel-injected Festivas in Seattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade your Fesiva expertise for two rust-free fuel-injected Festivas in Seattle

Anybody in Seattle who has experience:
    1. Replacing a 1993 clutch? See: http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...t=33347&page=2
    2. Fixing bad lurching problem in a 1988LX (already has a rebuilt carb), OR upgrading one to fuel-injection. I have a complete bad-body red drivable fuel-injected donor right here. I believe the fuel tank and wiring harness need to be transplanted in addition to the engine+gearbox (the 88LX has an annoying 2nd-gear synchro problem). The 88LX's engine was professionally rebuilt only 40K miles/8 years ago at a cost of $2,000, so it's a keeper if it were upgraded to fuel-injection.

Here's the deal. Come here (presumably you're local, but OK if you're not), help me fix these problems, and take one or both home of the pictured Festivas home with you (either now or later at your convenience -- I own the land here). I drove both home some years ago after buying them on CL. Both have good glass and decent interiors. Both have clean WA titles in my name. The above-referenced red donor and my stock of parts are available for your use as required on the freebies. Both have 12" wheels; new 12" tires are available locally as required.

I have a big orange Harbor-freight engine hoist, a floor jack, and full set of Craftsman tools, including torque wrenches, but not much in the way of pullers. I have a 12x18 carport, but no garage. This is Seattle, so it's grey and wet with temps in the 40s/50s.

I'm looking at taking a job in MA for a while, so would like one of the above two vehicles to be in shape to drive there -- SOON. I might even want somebody to drive one of them there for me.
    Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 01-29-2011, 01:06 PM.
    88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

wow

Comment

.... I personally would like to help you out but I am all the way across the country. It's a shame you aren't my neighbor, I have a shop and lift as well.

My best to you.

Originally posted by AlaskaFestivaGuy View Post
      Anybody in Seattle who has experience:
      1. Replacing a 1993 clutch? See: http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...t=33347&page=2
      2. Fixing bad lurching problem in a 1988LX (already has a rebuilt carb), OR upgrading one to fuel-injection. I have a complete bad-body red drivable fuel-injected donor right here. I believe the fuel tank and wiring harness need to be transplanted in addition to the engine+gearbox (the 88LX has an annoying 2nd-gear synchro problem). The 88LX's engine was professionally rebuilt only 40K miles/8 years ago at a cost of $2,000, so it's a keeper if it were upgraded to fuel-injection.

Here's the deal. Come here (presumably you're local, but OK if you're not), help me fix these problems, and take one or both home of the pictured Festivas home with you (either now or later at your convenience -- I own the land here). I drove both home some years ago after buying them on CL. Both have good glass and decent interiors. Both have clean WA titles in my name. The above-referenced red donor and my stock of parts are available for your use as required on the freebies. Both have 12" wheels; new 12" tires are available locally as required.

I have a big orange Harbor-freight engine hoist, a floor jack, and full set of Craftsman tools, including torque wrenches, but not much in the way of pullers. I have a 12x18 carport, but no garage. This is Seattle, so it's grey and wet with temps in the 40s/50s.

I'm looking at taking a job in MA for a while, so would like one of the above two vehicles to be in shape to drive there -- SOON. I might even want somebody to drive one of them there for me.
      A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something.

Comment

Where in Seattle are you located? I am in Monroe if you know where that is? I'm no expert, but if you're not too far away and need some help, maybe I could help. I am in need of a parts festy

88 Festy L (The White Thunder)
        91 L came and gone, owned only 2 days

Comment

Is it sick that this sounds like fun to me, even if I had to drive across the country to get one back?

Tell us about the prize cars!
          Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
          Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
          "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Devon527,

I'm in Bellevue. Mapquest calls it 38 miles via freeways from downtown Monroe. I'm less than 1 minute off I-90. The most immediate thing is the clutch swap on the '93 so I can take a job in MA when my current job ends in 2 weeks. I can't trust the carb'd 88LX for that distance, and it only gets 20mpg at 70mph.

Scitzz,

No, that's not totally crazy thinking. Festies are getting few and far between. What are we going to do when they're all gone (or unsafe due to rust) and we have to buy newfangled cars that get 25mpg highway and where everything is computer-controlled and we can't work on them ... pay the dealer $100+/hour? And will such cars be able to do things like haul 2x12s inside the car?

It makes sense to "stock up" with a supply of good clean Festivas. That's why I bought the two I'm willing to let go from my collection of seven in WA plus the red rear-ended parts car. I want to end up with 3 or 4 good solid Festivas to last another 10+ years.
            88L black, dailydriver
            4 88/89 disassembled
            91L green
            91GL aqua pwrsteer
            92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

I will see what my schedule looks like, I'd really like to help you out. I work part time so I have a weird schedule. I have never replaced a clutch, but I am a quick learner. If you would want my help, pm me and maybe we can work something out

Comment

Devon527,

Do you happen to have a spare flywheel that could be machined smooth to swap into my car, then you take mine?
                88L black, dailydriver
                4 88/89 disassembled
                91L green
                91GL aqua pwrsteer
                92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Ah no i don't... I really don't have many extra parts for my Festiva. I will ask my friends dad who has some spare festy parts

Comment

Devon527,

OK, I PMd you with my #s. I still have some flexibility in my work hours, even though my job is ending. King5.com is forecasting some mid- to high-40s and partly sunny or better every day for the next 10 days. Amazing, considering this is the Pacific NW!
                    88L black, dailydriver
                    4 88/89 disassembled
                    91L green
                    91GL aqua pwrsteer
                    92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

I think between the both of you you should be able to do a clutch job. Make sure you have the shop manuals handy.

Karl
                      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                        I think between the both of you you should be able to do a clutch job. Make sure you have the shop manuals handy.

Karl
                        I think I am going to go buy one this week just for that, and just to have around.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I left my Haines manual in one of my AK Festies, which is now thoroughly encased in ice until sometime in May. I do have a green official Ford Service Manual, specifically for the 1993 Festiva, but it so often says "Using Ford special tool 12345, ..."
                          88L black, dailydriver
                          4 88/89 disassembled
                          91L green
                          91GL aqua pwrsteer
                          92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Well, just go out and buy the "Special Ford Tool Kit" for "special Fords."

Karl
                            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Well, it looks like Devon527, a friend of his, and I are going to try to pull off a Outdoor Clutch Job on Thursday. The weatherman's calling for "Partly Sunny, low=40, high=48" -- beach weather, Seattle style.

Should I feel bad that the dealer's going to miss out on $100+/hour?
                              88L black, dailydriver
                              4 88/89 disassembled
                              91L green
                              91GL aqua pwrsteer
                              92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Working...
                              X