Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cam seizing is a common problem with the festiva?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cam seizing is a common problem with the festiva?

My buddies 92 injected had the cam seiz and we are looking to get it back on the road, it has 300 000 k and so far a $225 reman off ebay is our only option.

would this be the way to go or what would you do?

this also seems to be a common problem when I call wrekers asking about parts for these cars, is this so??

Most people will tell you to just swap a b6 or something in especially with 300k on that bottom end.
    The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
    89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

$225 for a remanned B3, or cam?
      Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
      Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
      "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

I learned my lesson with "remanufactured" heads. You get what you pay for. At $225, both the seller and the machinist are making money. You can bet the quality of the machine work is borderline at best. Even then, you'll have a $225 head on a $40 short block thats got 300K. I would buy a good used head from someone on here or do the complete lower mileage used B6 (or B3) swap.
        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
        62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
        Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

For that kind of money into that engine, I'd be thinking swap.

$225.00 gets you a good low mileage B8ME around here. $150.00 will get a B6.
          Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
          '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
          '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Originally posted by bassman View Post
            My buddies 92 injected had the cam seiz and we are looking to get it back on the road, it has 300 000 k and so far a $225 reman off ebay is our only option.

would this be the way to go or what would you do?

this also seems to be a common problem when I call wrekers asking about parts for these cars, is this so??
            I've never heard of a cam seizing on a festiva. It has 300,000 miles on it. What does it need to do? Sprout arms and repair itself? Just buy A wrecked festiva for $100 swap the motor and turn a profit on the rest.
            youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by neanderpaul View Post
                I've never heard of a cam seizing on a festiva. It has 300,000 miles on it. What does it need to do? Sprout arms and repair itself? Just buy A wrecked festiva for $100 swap the motor and turn a profit on the rest.
                Ditto. BTW, it has 300,000 Km, which works out to 186K miles. Not exactly high miles for these cars. Simplest thing would be find a used, lower mileage B3, or SOHC B6. B8ME would be next easiest.

I've seen some abused Festivas before, but never seen a cam seize.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

thats pretty low miles my 91 had 475 thousand on it when i sold it in 97 an it is still being driven by the guy i think he lives in AZ now
                  Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy an taste great with katsup!!!

Comment

Never heard of a seized cam. I have 240,000 on one and the only problem is a leaky cam seal.
                    Chuck
                    Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
                    If money will fix it, it's not broken
                    91 GL -Ol' Rusty
                    93 GL - Lil Red
                    91 L - Tweetystiva
                    http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
                    http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

Oops. I saw K. K means thousand. 300 K. But didn't think about him being in Canada.
                      That's low miles for that to happen. It's a rare fluke.

Comment

My guess would be there is an oiling issue if the cam to siezed in the journals. Oil pump failure or ran it out of oil? In which case, the rest of the motor could be junk, I would try to find a lower mile B3 or B6. Swapping the whole engine will almost be less work by the time you clean the block and swap all the accessories over to the new head.
                        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                        62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                        Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Originally posted by hotfordcat View Post
                          Never heard of a seized cam.
                          It happens, usually a blocked oil passage or lack of prelube when putting the cam back in.

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=33092

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=33071

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...light=camshaft
                          Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
                          1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

looks like a local machine shop will do it right for $350 plus install.

Comment

Cam seizing isn't a common problem, but this isn't the first I've heard of. The red car I had af FM4 (or maybe 3, can't remember) came to me with a siezed cam and a sheared cam gear bolt. It also came with a spare cam and gear, so I put that in but I could tell something wasn't right still (which I figured it would be that way anyway). So after looking at the original cam I found out which one of the cam journals was scored, cleaned it up with a dremel and a wire wheel and put it all back together. It squeeked a little for about 50 miles, after that no problems. I got about 50K out of that motor after I "fixed" it. Finally it died because it had a pretty bad bottom end oil leak and when a buddy of mine borrowed it he forgot to top the oil off and boom, threw a rod.
                              No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Working...
                              X