Need Advice on Mystery Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice on Mystery Motor

I'm standing at a crossroads, and am seeking advice...

About 4 years ago, I picked up a parts car, cheap. It was banged-up, rusted, and the seller knew nothing about it (he was operating a shade-tree salvage yard). No title, no radiator, no steering column, no speedo, and absolutely no idea why this poor thing was put out to pasture.

I brought it home, and stashed it out in my back acreage...right next to another parts car. I did not even really go through the thing, and see what was good or bad.

Fast-forward to this last week. I decided to scrap this poor thing out. removed every usable nut, bolt, harness, etc. pulled the engine/tranny (5speed), and set it aside. Cut-up the chassis, and added the pieces to the scrap metal pile. After all the dust had settled, and the parts were all put away, I decided to see if the engine had any promise. Amazingly, it still turned, freely!

Pulled the plugs, and did a quick, crude compression test. #1: 195psi, #2: 185psi, #3: 180psi, and #4 190psi. Unbelievable! This engine, had been sitting for years, and (to me) those numbers are staggering, considering the storage conditions and time.

Decided that I would tear it down, and go through the whole block and head, with intentions of honing the cylinders and maybe a simple valve grind. Fresh seals and gaskets all around.

Yesterday, I removed the cylinder head. Pistons were really clean. But what I saw next has me stumped...

The cylinder walls still have cross-hatch marks! Not fresh marks, but still visible, if you look close enough. From what I can tell, this engine is all-original, and has not been touched.

The advice I seek is this: Should I continue tearing this motor down, and honing the cylinders, or just leave the block alone?

Like I said, standing at a crossroads. I just wish I knew more about the history of this car and motor...

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

Scott
    Famous Last Words: "How hard can it be?"

Scott, you leave the block alone, but you might as well tear the rest apart for new seals and proper re-lube before restarting. make copper spray gasket your best friend. save the $ on a rebuild and put it tward a mega-squirt system for better power and efficiency.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I say go for it. Its already yours, and could possibly be a great thing to do with your down time! I am in the process of rebuildinga 351W my dad got from a guy he was building a house for. I have no use for it, but i've had alot of fun tearing into it.

88 Festy L (The White Thunder)
      91 L came and gone, owned only 2 days

Comment

Did you pull the pistons out yet? If not, leave them in. If you pull them out to install new rings, then you'll have to measure everything and de-glaze the cylinders in order to get the new rings to seal. The existence of factory cross-hatch is not uncommon for these motors. With a compression test as good as you got, I would have left the head on!
        I would pull a rod & main bearing to check the crank, since you went this far.
        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
        62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
        Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

It sounds like you have got a good engine there. I recently tore into my 2003 Hyundai sonata 2.4l eninge with 166,xxx miles on it and it still has cross hatching as well. The foreign engines are definately built better imo. It didn't even have a ridge at the top from where the pistons stopped. Keep us updated on what you do to it.
          The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
          89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

Working...
          X