EGI relay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EGI relay

Would someone tell me why the EGI/Main power relay for my 90 festiva is so high.Is their something special about this relay?Has anyone used a cheaper relay that will work? NAPA Echlin part AR410 is a replacement at 149.00.This is very high for a relay.

If memory serves, the relay is under the hood, on the inside of the drivers fender. It's not a standard sized relay, and it's designed to handle a lot of current. That's probably the reason for the high price.
    Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
    Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
    White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
    White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
    Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
    Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
    Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
    White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Too bad there isnt another Missouri member with a used relay that would work.... Hint hint.
      sigpic
      The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
      https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
      Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

How many amps is it rated for? You could just wire in a few 40amp automotive relays in place of it, no? I think the amp only makes 50-70 amps as it is...
        -Zack
        Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

The schematic shows the relay contacts are fused for a 15 amp current. EGI fusible link. The schematic also shows a resistor across the relay coil inside the relay can. No details on value or why.
          Advance Auto PN is R3173. Price $89.99. This has got to be one freaking special relay!
          Take your relay can apart and see if there is anything obvious - contacts burned or pitted or welded shut. You may be able to salvage it. Probably though, used is the way to go.

Someone might be able contribute the coil resistance value of a known good relay as an FYI

Comment

Resistor is to kill any residual voltage from the collapsing magnetic field when the relay is switched off. Usually they use a diode but a resistor works too. It just protects the delicate electronics that serve the relay.

Wire in a SPDT relay, shouldn't be a big deal.
            -Zack

Comment

Originally posted by crazyrog17 View Post
              Resistor is to kill any residual voltage from the collapsing magnetic field when the relay is switched off. Usually they use a diode but a resistor works too. It just protects the delicate electronics that serve the relay.
              AARRGGGGGG Thanks for jogging my mind on the resistor. Getting old sucks.:-(

Comment

You're only as old as you think you are!

Most 'old guys' haven't figured out how to set up a BluRay player, let alone cruise the internet to find part numbers and help people on an awesome forum!
                -Zack

Comment

thank you all for the input it is much appreciated. Oh ya! I am one of the old ones!!!! Ha! Ha!

Comment

CharlieZ--You are completely correct my friend--- about the relay having a resistor on the low current side.No diode in the circuit. Good find-- now if I can find someone to give me values I can figure this out thank you----

Comment

I read into EGI relays. They contain a resistor to keep from drawing too much current from the Engine Control Unit. The ECU acts like a timer so the fuel pump doesn't run too long when the key is in Run but the engine is not started.

I suppose your best bet would be to find a good used EGI relay from another member here. Post a WTB or PM freshtiva, he sounded like he has one for you further up in the thread...
                      -Zack

Comment

Originally posted by badmechanic View Post
                        CharlieZ--You are completely correct my friend--- about the relay having a resistor on the low current side.No diode in the circuit. Good find-- now if I can find someone to give me values I can figure this out thank you----
                        badmechanic
                        Pass that credt on to crazyrog17. He jogged my memory. Sad to think how many of us pass up that set of relays when we're JYardin'.

Comment

I am passing credit to crazyrog17-----Thank you very much.

Comment

Are these what you are talking about?:

Karl
                            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Yes that is it.

Comment

Working...
                              X