Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Didn't know inspection was gonna be this tough...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Didn't know inspection was gonna be this tough...

My mechanic, who I trusted with almost all my cars, won't even touch my car in regards to inspection. I'm just so frustrated at this point, because any day now, I'll be getting a letter from the state about forking over my plates and I need this car to go to work. Gragh, I don't know if anyone out there has dealt with a situation like this in their home state.
    "There are three things that survive a nuclear war: Roaches, Chuck Norris, and Ford Festivas."
    --Anonymous

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

Well, I found the above and read it. Yes, sitting for awhile may require some new parts, but only when you find a part is broken or not up to par.

Why won't your mechanic deal with the problem?

I'd be going through the starting circuits and examining all contacts for corrosion, etc.

Still can't start it reliably, right?

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

so, what exactly is wrong with your car?

Comment

ALT and this time around a new battery. Idle is smooth and I drove it back from the shop through the highway with no problems. Just the fact that I couldn't use the lights or indicators the whole way through.

The mechanic didn't want to deal with it because to him it was so modified beyond its original OEM setup that he wasn't comfortable with inspecting it.

The car under good charge starts reliably, but once I parked it in my garage, it wouldn't start anymore.

There aren't many problems to keep it running once I get the ALT and new battery in. I'm sure this is the case. It all seems to lead to the ALT not charging the battery because when I first bought it it would start everytime but eventually the numerous starts while trying to diagnose the problem drained what was left of the battery.

Inspection-wise, it's gonna need a new windshield and horn. That's pretty much what I see that it needs to pass safety inspection. The exhaust was patched up so from what I see (so far) so it should pass emissions. We also have this fuel cap test which I don't see why we have it in the first place....that I'm sure should pass as well.

But why try to get it inspected with these faults you ask knowing it will fail? It sends data to DMV telling me I inspected it, which in turn prevents that stupid letter from the state telling me to fork over my plates or go to court and pay $500. If it fails, they give me 30 days to fix the problem(s) and go for a re-test. But lately I found out that if the repairs required go over $700 in costs, I can apply for a cost limit waiver. Starting to miss the inspection system of Cali where all they look at and care about is what comes out of your tailpipe.
        Last edited by chaosdrifter06; 02-08-2011, 11:25 AM.
        "There are three things that survive a nuclear war: Roaches, Chuck Norris, and Ford Festivas."
        --Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by chaosdrifter06 View Post
          ...The mechanic didn't want to deal with it because to him it was so modified beyond its original OEM setup that he wasn't comfortable with inspecting it.
          Time for a new mechanic.
          Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
          '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
          '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Originally posted by chaosdrifter06 View Post
            Starting to miss the inspection system of Cali where all they look at and care about is what comes out of your tailpipe.
            ... here in the rural counties of GA all they care about is if you signed the title correctly (unless its over 25 years old, then no title just a bill of sale)

But I'd look for another mechanic... that or a donor car to completely swap a wiring harness out of, if you're having a ton of electrical problems they can be hard to track them all down.
            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by JPT View Post
              Time for a new mechanic.
              That's exactly what I thought....but there are so many shops in RI, I wouldn't know where to begin so I'm going to need a good lead. Everyone says around here that the shady looking ones are the ones who will look at a car such as mine, but again, there are many of those around here as well. I'm going to start looking for leads.
              --Anonymous

Comment

honestly, be glad of your states safety inspection... the things i've see out in Cali and Florida (both of which do not have a safety program) would scare the crap out of you. we had a guy from FL drive up here with a LBJ falling out of the knuckle and 2 broken CVs not to mention numerous non-working bulbs and a tierod end about ready to fall out as well. totaly not road worthy, but the owner didn't care.

oh and have you SEEN the POS that they "fix" on PimpMyRide? all of that is road LEGAL in Cali, what a JOKE!! i'll never live there, EVER.

some basic electrical diag should fix all your issues.
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I googled around to see about a wiring harness, but I don't even know how mine looks like. What kind would I buy anyway? One for a 92 festy or a 932 mazda 323?

And festyboy, my car is not THAT bad...only has a windshield crack and lack of a horn...everything else is structurally sound. Nothing wrong with the suspension or chassis. I just don't understand why anyone would want you to spend $200 before being able to drive it. I should be able to drive it without the state telling me that a small crack can end my life. I would be happier if a mechanic tells me "The car passed but if I were you, I'd be getting to that windshield." Which I would. In Cali, I can drive a work in progress it's just annoying how I can't drive anything that has a small problem that has a one in a billion chance of killing you.

The horn I can rip off a junkyard and have wired in a day or two....it's the windshield that going to hurt me. If they give me more time (which they don't) it shouldn't be much of a problem.
                  Last edited by chaosdrifter06; 02-08-2011, 12:15 PM.
                  --Anonymous

Comment

the glass is a safety issue because once it's in, it becomes a structural part of the chassis. that crack is a weak point and makes the glass structuraly unsound. at least that's what the state will say.
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I'm aware of this, but it's my life. If I want to risk I should have the freedom to risk it. If a rock or metal pole falls off a truck on the highway, it wouldn't matter if the windshield was pristine or cracked, it would impale me either way.
                      --Anonymous

Comment

^^ I hear ya, but what the state is going to say is this. Cause I've heard it before.

That crack represents a breach of the structural integrity of the car.

Yes, if a pole falls off of a truck, and flies through your windshield, a pristine piece of glass will not save you. You're still dead. But maybe instead of a pole impaling you, all you do is run over a speed bump a little to fast. Hate to sound like a Safelite commercial, but crack! Now instead of one tiny crack, you've got spider web cracks running all over the windshield, including in your field of view. Now, how safe are you? And the people you will plow down because you cannot see them?

As to the mechanic refusing the inspection. Is he refusing to do the inspection, or refusing to fix what is needed for the car to pass? If it's the former, get a new mechanic. If it's the latter, um, I guess also get a new mechanic.

Don't know about in RI, but in WV, if a shop is an official state inspection station, and you drive in and want an inspection, by law they have to drop whatever they are working on, and do your inspection. The shop where my Dad used to work actually had their inspection license suspended for 90 days for telling an undercover state inspector that his inspection would have to wait 30 minutes or so.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                        1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                        1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                        Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

I completely understand that. Trust me I do. I will fix the problem when I get the $200 for the windshield. I would just like to drive my car to work instead of relying on public transportation (which siphons money slowly from me) or relying on my friend to allow me to borrow his or drop me off and get picked up. At this point, I would prefer to be driving a work in progress without the fear of the state demanding my plates while I try to get the car compliant. Either way, I'm gonna start driving it once I get the necessary parts replaced.

I found a lead anyway, thanks to my friend of a place an hour north from me who will look at my car and maybe even "overlook" a few things. Once I get the car running I will go over there.
                          --Anonymous

Comment

Ask around about inspection stations that are not too picky. Some states tolerate a crack if it is not in the normal viewing area of the driver.

I just cut up a Festiva that was damaged too much to fix. The windshield had a small crack but I was trying to save it. The factory book says to cut it out with a piano wire and two people.

I tried cutting the body at the 4 corners of the windshield and flexing. It broke the WS. A new one needs to be glued in with the proper adhesive. The adhesive is REALLY strong.

Probably worth letting a glass place do it.

I would charge the battery, and if you can drive it to a not too picky inspection station, restart and drive away, have a go.

I can't tell from the above if your Festiva is stock or modified. If you have modified it, you are pretty much stuck as the mechanic, unless you find someone who works on a time and materials basis.

("It will be done when it is done and it will cost what it costs")

If it is stock and your mechanic doesn't want to work on it, you need a new mechanic. You probably need a new mechanic anyway.

Paul
                            Red Rocket 1988 L, 133,XXX miles, 4 sp. AC, hit guard rail in snow, RIP, saved everything but body
                            Black Rocket 1988 L 207,XXX miles, 4 sp. AC, engine, trans, wire harness, radiator from RR
                            Red Rocket 2 1988 L 138,XXX miles, 4 sp
                            White Rocket 1989 L 128,XXX miles, 4 sp. AC

Comment

I always install my own windshields with windshield tape (resin impregnated butyl rubber). Its easy to position, not messy like polyurethane and also not toxic (no free isocyanates) prior to cure. The main reason I use tape, is because it's easy to cut through and remove the glass without breaking. Everyone will give you every structural safety excuse under the sun not to use tape. It's amazing that not so long ago, everyone used to use windshield tape.

Good luck cutting out polyurethaned windshields at the junk yard without breaking them.
                              Last edited by bravekozak; 02-08-2011, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X