enough lurking! Sno Drift Festiva!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• enough lurking! Sno Drift Festiva!

Hullo! Misterkeith here. I bought a festiva back in November for $400 when my girlfriends car was possibly dying. Her car lived and now I have a new toy.

I live in Northern Michigan where we get plenty of lake effect snow. About an hour from me every Feb. they have the Sno Drift.

My plan is to spend less than $2000 on my silver snow turtle and complete the sno drift.

I have:

1990 Ford Festiva w/ 5speed manual. Runs. Ugly. Solid. $400

Aspire front sway bar, spindles, axle beam, struts. $400

13" VW cabbrio alloy wheels with Pirelli snow tires. $320

Purchasing new:

Aspire calipers, ceramic pads, rotors, drums, wheel studs, tie rod ends, ball joints, and springs

I have some questions on what brands of new parts are better than others, spring rates, and any advice you might wanna throw at me.

Ask me questions!

:thumbup:

Welcome to the addition Mister. Sounds like like you have some good stuff going on....good luck with the project.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Welcome! Got an engine swap in mind yet?:p Post up some pics of the progress!
      '90 LX

Comment

^^^^ my sentiments exactly.....
        Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
        89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
        Projects in the works:
        84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

After posting I became inspired to get it out of the snow bank. Went outside, turned the ignition, and cranked for 30 seconds fluttering the throttle before she coughed to life.

Both rear tires were flat, so I grabbed the cigarette lighter compressor and pumped them both up some. I shoveled out the rear and thought she was clear and I was wrong. My bald front tires spun while rocking it and I stalled. Apparently my small air compressor was too much for the alternator and I drained the battery.

I grabbed my neighbor and we pushed it out to my Jeep so we could jump it. I finished pumping the tires up with jeep power and let it idle. My neighbor saw some smoke coming from the engine compartment while I was pumping tires and I realized my radiator fan wasn't working. After further inspection the whole fan was off kilter on the motor so no spin action.

It'll get me the five miles to work in the morning, but it looks like I've got some extra work to do. I will post some pics tomorrow in the light.

Boy I love this thing.

BTW it is completely stock at the moment. All those parts except for the wheels are sitting on the folded rear seat; including the rear axle beam!

ccasion5:

Comment

Welcome to the site, keep us informed of your progress, if you need help just ask.
            An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

So even after you get the fan motor mounted back in place & all uncattywompus don't be surprised if you don't hear the fan kick on. I have only ever seen mine operate when I trouble shot it directly testing the motor, disconnecting the wire from the thermo switch w/ key in on position (not running but at on) & when my AC was on. These things run cold & I never even saw it come on in the early fall when I got it sitting in traffic. Keep us posted & good luck w/ your project.......time to open that Sno Drift window now & do some multitasking while I surf the forum
              Send An Invite If Ya Want

1991 Ford Festiva GL- Auto

Comment

congrats on the find, can't wait to see the project, and welcome to the family!
                91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
                85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Originally posted by wybnrml View Post
                  Welcome! Got an engine swap in mind yet?:p Post up some pics of the progress!
                  Something that bolts up easy and comes with a tranny with less wheel hop. The tires will be spinning a lot!

Comment

Stage 12This is our personal highlight video of the 2011 Sno*Drift Rally with Rally America. These videos and pictures were taken on January 29, 2011, the se...

That is a video of the best spot for the special stage. I think there is an awd 323 somewhere in there.

Comment

Here is a photo I took with my phone. I'm using an android phone with tapa talk to post this message. Pretty cool!

Comment

^ A Toyota Festiva?!?
                        Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                        '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                        '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Wow. That Subaru is sure going fast. I wonder if narrow 14" ATV tires would work?
                          Or, just make your own.

how to build an ice racing tire. the most efective tire on ice, better thain ones you can buy.
                          Last edited by bravekozak; 02-10-2011, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JPT View Post
                            ^ A Toyota Festiva?!?
                            haha. It came on the car. It also came with some Monster stickers on the back window that I haven't removed yet. I was thinking of getting a raccoons tail for the antenna!

Comment

Rule Book.

That is a pdf of the rulebook. Page 86 has the vehicle classes and eligibilty.

check this
                              A. Open Category
                              1. The Open Category is comprised of four classes: Open, Open Light,
                              Group 5, and Group 2. It is the intent of these Rules that vehicles
                              competing in the Open Category be based on production vehicles.
                              Innovation and modifications within the rules is encouraged. Nonproduction
                              based vehicles (i.e., "one-off" vehicles) built from the
                              ground up, are explicitly prohibited. In general, freedom is given to
                              modify any component of the vehicle providing that it is not otherwise
                              restricted below.
                              2. The engine is unrestricted, but must be derived (at least the engine
                              block) from a product line offered by the manufacturer of the vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                              X