Found a new Festiva!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a new Festiva!

Good to be back in the Festiva blogosphere. Last July I had my '91 totaled after 2 weeks of ownership. Sunday I found a rust free, dent free '88 5 speed LX (clear coat is almost completely wiped out though) on CL. 173K miles, pretty much unmolested but has sat awhile. Owner didn't do much except drive it, but warned me about the middle fusible link. Started up well and drove it home 55 miles with no weirdness.
    What should be done and in what order to get this guy in reliable, daily driver shape if you were starting from scratch with little history? Thanks!
    PS - Has any one ever made a cargo cover for the back from a pattern out of cardboard and then some light material?
    Last edited by bastille10; 02-08-2011, 07:06 PM.

I'd go get some cartridge fuses and replace those fusible links.... just my $0.02 worth...
    Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
    89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
    Projects in the works:
    84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

im in the same boat as you are bastille.... bought mine from a guy who got it at a yard auction.

im replacing all struts, lower control arms, doing the aspire brake swap, all new bearings, tie rod ends, and brake hoses, and when thats all done, the motor is coming out to be completeley resealed and decarbonized, and a valve job on the head, new belts, hoses, water pump, etc.........i work on cars all day, and i absolutely SEVERELY DISLIKE working on my daily driver

Comment

I've got 2 claws for hands, but smart enough to know what I don't know.
        I applaud your ambition! I'm thinking maybe a conventional tune up (platinum plugs?), checking the brakes, all fluids drained and replace with premium stuff, replacing all the fuses, and changing simple stuff that will get me maximum mpg's (oxygen sensor, fuel filter ect.).
        The tires are decent but it has the usual suspects to replace (left headlight,dome light switch, no stereo, non working rear defrost, strut support and ,of course, the wet carpet in the rear).
        My wife is at least happy it's not an Opel Manta, Peugeot 504, Saab 99, Alfa Milano or VW Thing (We've been married 26 years). I can still find a few parts for this.

Comment

Originally posted by bastille10 View Post
          Good to be back in the Festiva blogosphere. Last July I had my '91 totaled after 2 weeks of ownership. Sunday I found a rust free, dent free '88 5 speed LX (clear coat is almost completely wiped out though) on CL. 173K miles, pretty much unmolested but has sat awhile. Owner didn't do much except drive it, but warned me about the middle fusible link. Started up well and drove it home 55 miles with no weirdness.
          What should be done and in what order to get this guy in reliable, daily driver shape if you were starting from scratch with little history? Thanks!
          PS - Has any one ever made a cargo cover for the back from a pattern out of cardboard and then some light material?
          I know it is red and has a different seat in front than stock. Wonder why I know this? You were literally right next to my house, that was my neighbor, I wanted to buy that from him but didn't have the money. I wondered why it was gone, my buddy was gonna buy it. Lol

88 Festy L (The White Thunder)
          91 L came and gone, owned only 2 days

Comment

Wow -small world! Yep - It was in Monroe. It's a pretty clean little rig for it's age.
            It didn't sound like the owner had it very long. The price was fair (didn't know the tabs were expired) and the body was relatively ding free. The rear carpet was soaking wet, but that's another day. Almost pulled the trigger on one out in Tukwila earlier in the week
            Probably still for sale on CL.

Comment

When I talked to him he said it was a 87, had to research it and find out some were made in 87 and put on the market in 88. It's been sitting for awhile, took me about two months to ask him about it. Lol but now I am working on a couple festivas that alaskafestivaguy hawk, and in return he is giving me and my buddy each a Festiva. Contracts though! Couldn't tell you how hard i laughed when I saw that it bought by a guy on this website. Haha

Comment

I had joined the forum last July when I bought my first Festiva ('91 L).
                I literally had it only 2 or 3 weeks when a guy in an old Econoline Extended Van decided to make a u-turn in front of me, was too long to complete the turn, had to stop and I t-boned him at 25mph. I paid $900.00 for the Festiva, his insurance gave me $700.00. I don't have alot of time or $$$$ to do anything but bring the New/Old Festiva back to good, running condition.
                The Festiva reminds me alot of the '79 Fiesta S that we had for 10 years in the '80s. Lightweight and quick.

Comment

Welcome back Bastille10 I did the general tune up on my box & when trolling the many threads found that copper core plugs were suggested along with the Denso brand oxygen sensor for the stock B3 motor. Post pics if you can when you get a chance & add to the Festy family photo album here :tongue3:
                  Send An Invite If Ya Want

1991 Ford Festiva GL- Auto

Comment

Welcome back, sounds like a good tune up, fresh fuel filter, and an oil change would be a good start. Then a new timing belt and water pump are probably your next good investment. The carby's are a bit overwelming in the vacuum line department but we can help you out. I have an 88L and I love it to death, but my EFI 93GL does get a bit better in the fuel economy department. Enjoy it and we will help you where we can.
                    91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                    82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
                    85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Welcome back. As to your question about making your own hatch cover, check this out.

This is also in the stickie in the custom interior/exterior forum.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                      1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                      1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                      Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

^^^ If I still had my back seat in I would totally do that! That is a VERY detailed write up lol

Comment

Thanks to all who responded. It's great to be back. This a good chance to clean out the garage and get at it. Thanks for the tips and the cargo cover info.
                          Very cool! I 'll send pic's as it progresses. Peace

Comment

Working...
                          X