Belt Shredding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belt Shredding

My Festiva 1.3 stock no air, keeps going through belts every couple months, it chews them up. I have a new alternator, so I don't think that's the problem. The belt wasn't too tight or loose, but today it was acting up, and when I popped the hood, the belt was turned into a spiral, still on the 3 pulleys, but twisted and rubber was piled up on the alt, and the firewall. The last belt was twisted in the same way, does anyone have an idea as to what's causing this?

same brand of belts?
    try a different brand.

Comment

I'm having the exact same issue.
      Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
      91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Make sure all 3 pulleys (crank, water pump, and alternator) are all lined up. If one of the pulleys is not in line, the belt will try to climb up the side of the "V" that's not in line and cause it to flip over or twist. Also, make sure you are using an automotive V-belt. An industrial size "A" belt does not have the same "V angle" as an automotive belt.
        You gonna race that thing?
        http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

From what you are describing I would clean the rubber from the alt and install a new belt after rolling the alt pulley by hand. If all the pulleys are aligned properly the rubber on the alt is a sign the alt pulley is shredding the belt.
          I will assume the alt is a reman unit, it can be caused from the alt trying to put out to much and causing a hard drag making the belt slip a bit or a bearing trying to stick causing a high load on the belt.
          Run it by somewhere and have the alt tested in the car for output levels.
          Make sure to clean all rubber and debris from the pulleys before installing another belt.
          Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
          1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

If you or anyone else had the crank pulley off the car and did not put the thin metal shim back between the pulley and crank this will happen too.
            Brian
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
            :fish:

Comment

That's one thing I don't like about the transverse engine in the Festiva. Hardly any clearance between the crank pulley and the fender. It's tough to get a straight edge in there to see if the pulleys are indeed lined up properly or require shimming. All pulley edges should contact the straight edge. The belts should hardly vibrate when in motion. If you suspect a bent pulley, take it off and check it on a surface plate. Replace any bent pulley.

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll start working on it this afternoon.

Comment

Yes, a belt that twists or rolls over is typically a sign of alignment issues. Worn sheaves can also cause this. There are indeed different side pitch angles available on V-belts, if the rebuilt alt came with a sheave, it may be possible it is for a different belt profile, but it would probably just throw the belt off. I'd check the alignment and the inside of the sheaves for excessive wear first. Also look for a bent or wobbling sheave.

*Flat belts run on pulleys, v-belts run in sheaves, positive drive (timing) belts run on sprockets. I know.... toe-MAY-toe, toe-Moto.
                  Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                  04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                  62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                  Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

the term sheave is new to me.

Comment

x2
                      Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
                      89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
                      Projects in the works:
                      84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

Many belts I've tried, non-Ford are too wide, and don't seat in the grooves. So they loosen after time until wear finally seats them and then they are too loose. Headlights on or the heater vent motor on will make the belt 'scream' till it catches up and grabs. The stock Festiva belt I've found is an ultra thin belt-too wide doesn't seat properly in grooves. I'm going back to stock Ford if I can get one, Never had a problem with those.

Comment

Working...
                        X