Car battery question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car battery question.

Shopping for a car battery at the moment. Do I buy one for the Mazda 323 or the Ford Festiva? And would it be okay if I just buy a random battery that has a slightly higher amp count than what its meant for? I used a Supra battery for my 300ZX for a while but since all cars are different would it cause any electrical damage if I do this?

I found a few reconditioned batteries on CL but obviously they are from random cars...kinda wished I could just ante up the cash for a brand new one.

Or am I just better off buying a jump box until I get that alternator installed?

I'm thinking, if I jump it during the day, drive it to my friends to swap in the new alternator, and have the new ALT charge whatever is left in the dying battery I should be good until I I invest in a new battery.
    "There are three things that survive a nuclear war: Roaches, Chuck Norris, and Ford Festivas."
    --Anonymous

More than likely your ALT killed your battery.

Replace the ALT and have it checked to make sure it is functioning correctly after install.

They can then load test your battery to see how bad it is.

Better to put the money into a new battery than buying a jump pack and a recon battery.

Buy the biggest battery that will fit into the space for it.
    I've never regretted having the bigger battery.
    Currently running a 900 CCA and never had an issue starting or helping jump start much larger engines.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

The white car I got a while back was rocking a 1000CCA battery when I got it. It had been sitting for a looong time and it fired right up. That was about 3 years ago, and during that time its had a couple of times of sitting for months at a time. Always fired right off. It was originally purchased in '02
      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Just make sure the battery fits the tray perfectly and that it isn't to high for the J-hooks. The cold cranking amps are secondary. The battery must fit perfectly so that it doesn't move around. Get a Festiva sized battery for a Festiva.

Comment

A bigger battery can always be relocated to the trunk
          -Zack
          Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Agreed it needs to fit the battery tray properly, but CCA's are not secondary.
            I would think in your climate, that if you just had the specified CCA for a festiva you'd be hard pressed sometimes to get it started.
            A good strong battery is a must in a cold climate.
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by crazyrog17 View Post
              True, but for this application it is unnecessary and would cost more than just a good quality battery.
              '92 Aqua parts Car
              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Agreed. It's unnecessary for his situation but I was just mentioning that bigger isn't imposisble.

The first place I'd look is the local pick 'n' pull. The one near me always has a full shelf of them and they come with a short warranty.
                -Zack
                Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

I have been using DEKA batteries for a while now in my boats,cars, and motorcycle. Paid a little more but I think it was worth it.

Comment

So what do you know of the Deka performance in cold climates?
                    Because that battery you bought in FL is constructed differently than the one used in cold climates.
                    Your battery wouldn't last very long in RI or Canada!
                    '92 Aqua parts Car
                    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Deka are excellent batteries. I have one the Escape. They'll hold up just as good as Johnson Controls and defiantly better than Exide. Build construction is better than either of those. Started just fine in negative temps. Deka doesn't have North and South batteries.
                      91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

I always buy the BIGGEST (most CCA) battery that I can find that will fit in what ever car I have! Oh and I always go with deep cycle.

Go to Costco, as you cant beat their prices for batteries! Also, if you hit Costco at the right time (I think end of summer) they clear out all their deep cycles for $29.99 (at least they do around here).

Comment

My battery is already relocated to the back.

I will go and look at truck batteries now then LOL.

My friend managed to find a jump pack at his place so he's gonna bring it down and use it on the car so I can drive it up to his place.
                          "There are three things that survive a nuclear war: Roaches, Chuck Norris, and Ford Festivas."
                          --Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by crazyrog17 View Post
                            At the cost of the back seat tricks.
                            youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

I don't use my Festiva as a daily driver. I get the lightest weight (smallest) that starts the car reliably. Forward of the front wheel center-line is a dumb place for a battery. Especially for a light weight car. But, that's just me.

Comment

Working...
                              X