Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Right to Repair"

Reading an article like this:

is all the more incentive to keep Festivas running, even to "stock up" on a lifetime supply of them.
    88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Yep. I don't want to get into that crap. I like being able to make all the decisions myself.

Most of the "Festiva software" is now in my own head.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

$$$ more $$$ more $$$

I can see a $1000 brake job in the near future for a new car. Thats B.S.
      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

and this is why we here @ Fordfestiva.com keep our cars running on the road.....
        Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
        89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
        Projects in the works:
        84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

This is why I quit doing Remote Car Starters in '06. I was doing about 350 of them a year when all of the sudden crap like that starting showing up on a daily basis.
          -Bryant

Comment

I think it's interesting how this lights a fire, but the same situation exists wherever there is proprietary technology in the stuff we buy. Seems like the car companies could easily argue that Bill Gates should have to make all his stuff open source if they have to give out their "trade secrets" to make independent mechanics happy. Though in reality, the big guys all steal from each other regardless of the law, so it really is just the little guys with no resources that suffer.

Interesting.
            Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
            91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Even siimple things like replacing a headlight bulb are getting to be major jobs. My brother has a GMC Acadia and the complete front fascia has to be removed to replace the bulb!
              Ian
              Calgary AB, Canada
              93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
              59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

It's for this reason (and things like it) that I will not buy a new car. A wiper switch that needs to be "initialized"? It's a freaking switch! What's next? Replace a bulb and have to take your car to the dealer to have the computer rebooted? How about 10 years from now? Buy a used car, do some repairs and have to go to the dealer and spend half of what you paid for the car?

The automakers can kiss all 3 sides of my butt. Left side, right side and inside.
                Last edited by JPT; 02-17-2011, 01:41 PM.
                Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

I ran into this type of problem after changing an instrument cluster in a Pontiac Grand Am. The speedoometer quit working but the odometer still registered. Found a used cluster, swapped it, then the car would only start for 1-2 seconds and die.

Called a friend at a GM dealership and got a general run down of what to do. Still no joy, until I tried something a bit different from the general instructions I received.

Got the car started and everything was great until it was totaled in a car/deer accident.

I had to turn the key on/off a few times then leave the key on to "reset" the security system. What a PITA.

Comment

It's rapidly approaching the point where every "device" (switch, light, etc.) on your car will have an IP address. Read all about it here:

By the way, from what I've heard, dealers make far more profit from servicing cars than from selling them.
                    Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 02-17-2011, 10:57 PM.
                    88L black, dailydriver
                    4 88/89 disassembled
                    91L green
                    91GL aqua pwrsteer
                    92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFestivaGuy View Post
                      It's rapidly approaching the point where every "device" (switch, light, etc.) on your car will have an IP address. Read all about it here:

By the way, from what I've heard, dealers make far more profit from servicing cars than from selling them.
                      Absolutely. They can take a hit on the sales profit because they know you will have to have it repaired sometime--and the way things are going, the odds are increasing that they will get to do the repair.

I am inclined to buy cars older than 1996 (the first year of OBD-II), to avoid emissions testing in MO. Plus they are all old enough to not have much, if any, of the modern complications.
                      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
                        Even siimple things like replacing a headlight bulb are getting to be major jobs. My brother has a GMC Acadia and the complete front fascia has to be removed to replace the bulb!
                        Saw an Acadia with a burned out headlight while out tonight (not my brother's)! I wonder how much that will cost him to replace?!
                        Ian
                        Calgary AB, Canada
                        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

My 04 is a fairly good balance for what it offers, but there are indeed things on it that I can't do unfortunately like resetting the BCM after adding an option, for example.

My festiva is nearly idiot proof. I love it.
                          Buck.
                          -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
                          -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
                          -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

I just read that the new Fiat ("Fix It Again, Tony") 500 has seven airbags.
                            88L black, dailydriver
                            4 88/89 disassembled
                            91L green
                            91GL aqua pwrsteer
                            92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

I just had an evil thought:

I'll install about two dozen or so airbags in one of my Festivas. They'll be controlled by my inertia switch (when it's tripped, a sensor sends power to all the airbags) and mounted on the outside of my car with a layer of ball bearings duct taped over them. If my car gets hit, the results should destroy most everything within twenty feet of my car!

One sign will be on top:

WARNING: EQUIPPED WITH MULTIPLE OFFENSIVE AIR BAGS!

Karl
                              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
                              X