Is Maaco really that bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Maaco really that bad?

It seems there are really 3 choices - Do it yourself (don't have the time or facility), pay 2 or 3 k for a skookum (1st class) job, or have Maaco or Earl Schieb do it. I think the best way to go is do as much prep as poss. on your own and do the $399.00 special at the cheapie place. What say you?

Originally posted by bastille10 View Post
    It seems there are really 3 choices - Do it yourself (don't have the time or facility), pay 2 or 3 k for a skookum (1st class) job, or have Maaco or Earl Schieb do it. I think the best way to go is do as much prep as poss. on your own and do the $399.00 special at the cheapie place. What say you?
    I've heard the same thing about doing your own prep work. I had a car painted by maaco and it turned out ok for the price, but it probably would have been better if I had done all the prep myself
    "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

If you do take it to Maaco do some prep yourself. Also I would go there and try to see what their work looks like. I have seen some good paint jobs come from there and some bad ones. It probably just depends on the shop.
      '90 LX

Comment

I've heard a few stories. Every Maaco is different, some good, some just awful. I would ask around, or even ask the shop if you can see some of their previous jobs.
        BP, Aspire brakes, stock trans.

Comment

Had one done awhile back by Earl. Beautiful yellow Healy 3000. Four days later the paint turned to chalk!!!!
          Chuck
          Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
          If money will fix it, it's not broken
          91 GL -Ol' Rusty
          93 GL - Lil Red
          91 L - Tweetystiva
          http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
          http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

My dad had my Jetta done by Earl Scheib when he first bought it for himself. It turned out good and still looked good after a few years, I don't know how much longer it would have looked good because I crashed it then painted it myself.

The first time the paint had bubbles and my dad didn't like it so they sprayed again and it looked decent. They did some shady sanding by the drivers door but it's barely noticeable. I think the Earl Scheib in my area is pretty good because they painted a Batmobile that is displayed at Six Flags.

If they are legit they will let you come in and look at cars they are working on or just sprayed and will have customers around.
            91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
            14 C7 Z51

Comment

25horseplay had his green festy painted at maaco and I believe he's happy with it. I'll see if I can find some pics of his car...
              Edit: Here's a decent pic
              Last edited by lanemeyer14; 02-19-2011, 04:29 PM.
              "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

Try asking at body shops. Many will do paintwork on the side.

In my area, there's a body shop that specializes in insurance jobs, but will paint any car for $300. They do excellent work, but the catch is your car has to arrive "Ready-For-The-Booth". You can bring them anything you want and they'll paint it, but aside from a quick sanding and cleaning, all they do is tape it off (large areas only) and spray. If you have rust, it get's painted. Small emblems, model I.D., trim, etc. gets painted.

Bring them a car stripped of trim and just needing a quick scuff up and wipe down and you'll end up with an excellent paint job.
                Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

If you have the "place" to paint it, why not buy an hvlp set up and do it yourself and save yourself some money and learn something? I'm just saying that 90% of a good paint job is the prep work and you said you were going to do that yourself anyways. I bet there are a ton of DIY vids on youtube to help you. If you don't have a garage, you could make a temp garage with 2x3s and plastic sheets. At one end build an opening for a box fan, blowing out, and at the other end, an opening for a furnace filter. Cheap dust free paint booth.
                  ENFORCER - Midwest Festiva Inc., Iowa

#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
                  #2 .....Cheesehead
                  #3 '91 White - Donor Car
                  #4 .....Montana Project
                  SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
                  Bought her back for $450
                  Now that's darn near priceless!!

Comment

Maaco paint

Years back i had a car and a pickup painted by Maaco in West D.M. the first was a Caprice Classic painted Gray Met. the car looked great, no runs etc. the Second was a 70 Chevy half ton pickup, i stripped the bumpers, door handles, chrome etc, had it painted a nice bright Red, it looked great so i didn't bother to look at it, took it home to my son, he came out and we looked at it,what a mess it had 18 runs and not small ones, took it back and asked about the runs, well we don't guarranty a run free paint job, have not been back since.
                    An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Paint Job

I got my old truck painted by a guy who worked for a tractor repair shop. He painted on the side and I got a great paint job for $200. I probably could have got it for less if I had let him paint it John Deere green.

Comment

Originally posted by JimFestiva View Post
                        I got my old truck painted by a guy who worked for a tractor repair shop. He painted on the side and I got a great paint job for $200. I probably could have got it for less if I had let him paint it John Deere green.
                        http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...e+green&page=4
                        Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                        Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                        Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                        http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Yep I had my car painted by Maaco, did all the prep work and was very happy with the paint job!!
                          Brian
                          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                          :fish:

Comment

they are very good at painting... they paint so many cars its kinda hard not to be good at the actual application of the paint... just do all your own prep and edge masking and bring your own paint(if they do not carry the quality of paint you desire)
                            I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaB6TG25MR View Post
                              they are very good at painting... they paint so many cars its kinda hard not to be good at the actual application of the paint... just do all your own prep and edge masking and bring your own paint(if they do not carry the quality of paint you desire)
                              If u plan on doing all of the prep and masking everything just find a garauge, hang sone plastic, dampen the floor, and spray it! I painted my last truck in a barn, it was a dirty old barn and my panit turned out actually really good. Painting is not difficult, heep a steady distance and even coat and allow proper time between coats and it will turnout fine.

I actually plan on repainting my festy one day in the nearish future...... flat powder blue with white wheels white hood and while spoiler.

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
                              1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
                              R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
                              00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
                              03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
                              pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
                              Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
                              Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

Working...
                              X