Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inside Your Gas Tank

Inside Your Gas Tank

…. Unless you have steam cleaned or equivalent of or replaced your gas tank in the past 6 to 7 years this is what it most probably looks like. Recently in doing routine maintenance I opened up the fuel tank and this is the RUSTY Crud I found ( see pics ). All the more reason why you need to blow your fuel line clear and replace or clean your filters regularly, I think.

A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something.

kinda looks like my GTX tank lol

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I was in my gas tank not to long ago and it was actually clean. I drained all the gas out and didn't find anything in it. But I did blow out my fuel lines and they were full of stuff. But its always a good idea to check your tank.
      '90 LX

Comment

EWWWWW!!

Now I'm wondering what mine looks like inside.
        Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
        '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
        '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

I looked in a 20 year old festy tank recently. Squeaky clean.
          youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by neanderpaul View Post
            I looked in a 20 year old festy tank recently. Squeaky clean.
            same... mine was fine... i think if you dont keep it filled up most of the time rust can forum... if you drive around all the time with like 1/4 of a tank or leave it for a long time allmost empty, rust will forum and next time you drive it will flake off.... i plan to vacuum out the small amount of rust thats in my tank and maybe get it coated on the inside with that rubber/plastic coating that stops rust...

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
            1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
              maybe get it coated on the inside with that rubber/plastic coating that stops rust...
              If the paint flake off you're going to clog the line and filter

BPT, G5M-R, BP26 Exintake swap + Fidanza cam gear, NSRT4 FMIC + 2.5" piping, HKS SSQV BOV, Exedy clutch, 3" downpipe + 2" all the way back, Aspire brake swap, KYB GR-2 & FMS coil spring , FMS EURO body kit + Carbon fiber hood, Falcon RTX 15X6½ + Toyo proxes T1R 195/45R15

Comment

check out this vid http://www.rustymetalpaint.com/Gas-T...lers_c_13.html
                Donn

Comment

My 88 was clean as can be when I did my tank swap, and I always fill my car, none of that 1/4 tank bs lol

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
                  1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
                  R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
                  00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
                  03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
                  pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
                  Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
                  Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

Wowww! That is a crudy lookin tank! I opened up my tank this past fall and it looked like a new tank inside. There was some black "crumb" looking stuff free floating in the bottom of the fuel, but just like a few specks of it. Not enuf to clog anything, but I cleaned it out anyway.
                    Were there rocks in that tank? Or maybe a bad day at the factory plating facility?
                    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Use real gas without ethanol. Ethanol absorbs water.
                      Change your gas station. They must have water contamination in their tanks too! My tank is bright clean and shiny inside.

Comment

Dirty Gas
                        Another problem is gas that has been contaminated with dirt, water or other liquids. Many filling station pumps have a filter that keeps dirt and corrosion that has settled in underground tanks from getting into their customer's fuel tanks - assuming they maintain the filters properly. But these filters will not remove water. Alcohol attracts water, and if there is enough water present it can make the alcohol separate from gasoline.

Underground tanks have to meet stringent EPA requirements to prevent fuel leakage and soil contamination. Regular inspections are a must to ensure their integrity. But nothing is perfect and tanks sometimes leak and allow moisture to seep inside.

We have seen vehicles that were misfiring, sputtering and stalling because they had bad gas in their fuel tanks. In some cases the gas was contaminated with water. In others, there was too much alcohol. We have even seen cars that somebody mistakenly filled with diesel fuel. The not-so-funny part is that hours were wasted trying to diagnose the cause. In the end, it turned out to be bad gas. Draining the tank and refilling it with fresh gas solved the problem completely.

It does not happen very often, but fuel also can be cross-contaminated in pipelines, in storage facilities and distribution centers, and even in transit by moisture and other petroleum distillates such as diesel fuel, kerosene (jet fuel) and other chemicals.

The most common cause of dirty gas, though, is the vehicle's own fuel tank. As the miles accumulate, the protective plating inside the tank can wear away allowing corrosion to occur. This obviously does not happen with plastic gas tanks but it is quite common with steel tanks. The small flakes of rust are then pulled into the fuel pickup strainer where they can clog the strainer, damage the fuel pump or plug the fuel filter.

A lean fuel condition combined with lower-than-normal fuel flow and/or pressure is usually a good indication that the fuel system has a restriction - if the problem is not a weak fuel pump. If you check the filter and find it is plugged with debris, inspect the gas tank and clean it or replace it as needed if the tank is full of dirt or corrosion.

Finally, if a vehicle cranks and has spark but refuses to start, check the fuel gauge. No gas is worse than bad gas.

Comment

.... Your final sentence, words well put.

Thanks

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                          Dirty Gas
                          Another problem is gas that has been contaminated with dirt, water or other liquids. Many filling station pumps have a filter that keeps dirt and corrosion that has settled in underground tanks from getting into their customer's fuel tanks - assuming they maintain the filters properly. But these filters will not remove water. Alcohol attracts water, and if there is enough water present it can make the alcohol separate from gasoline.

Underground tanks have to meet stringent EPA requirements to prevent fuel leakage and soil contamination. Regular inspections are a must to ensure their integrity. But nothing is perfect and tanks sometimes leak and allow moisture to seep inside.

We have seen vehicles that were misfiring, sputtering and stalling because they had bad gas in their fuel tanks. In some cases the gas was contaminated with water. In others, there was too much alcohol. We have even seen cars that somebody mistakenly filled with diesel fuel. The not-so-funny part is that hours were wasted trying to diagnose the cause. In the end, it turned out to be bad gas. Draining the tank and refilling it with fresh gas solved the problem completely.

It does not happen very often, but fuel also can be cross-contaminated in pipelines, in storage facilities and distribution centers, and even in transit by moisture and other petroleum distillates such as diesel fuel, kerosene (jet fuel) and other chemicals.

The most common cause of dirty gas, though, is the vehicle's own fuel tank. As the miles accumulate, the protective plating inside the tank can wear away allowing corrosion to occur. This obviously does not happen with plastic gas tanks but it is quite common with steel tanks. The small flakes of rust are then pulled into the fuel pickup strainer where they can clog the strainer, damage the fuel pump or plug the fuel filter.

A lean fuel condition combined with lower-than-normal fuel flow and/or pressure is usually a good indication that the fuel system has a restriction - if the problem is not a weak fuel pump. If you check the filter and find it is plugged with debris, inspect the gas tank and clean it or replace it as needed if the tank is full of dirt or corrosion.

Finally, if a vehicle cranks and has spark but refuses to start, check the fuel gauge. No gas is worse than bad gas.
                          A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something.

Comment

I replaced my tank and the old one was very clean - like new on the inside. The reason I changed the tank was due to leaking at the seam as a known problem over the years. Make sure to fill your tanks and drive these cars. The tank is only ten gallons. I understand some people are concerned about the weight and gas mileage, but at least top off the tank once in a while. Also, make sure to change that fuel filter in the engine compartment near the firewall.

Comment

My father told me to stay away from old gas stations. The reason being, their fuel storage tanks in the ground can be dirty and/or contaminated over the years. I also pour a little isopropyl alcohol in the tank once a year (usually just before winter). This mixes any possible water with the gas. Then it gets burned off during engine run and not float on the top of gas in the tank.

Comment

Working...
                              X