A/C Improvement???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C Improvement???

Has anyone done anything that has improved A/C performance with the B3? I love driving Hot Rod but when the heat turns up the AC just can't keep up. Here in the deep south that's a big deal.
    '93 Festiva GL / "HOT ROD"
    '02 F-150 Supercrew
    '02 Excursion 4x4
    '98 Jeep Cherokee Classic Limited

I wish I had A/C , but I can relate to what you are saying; In the winter at good low temps it takes a good twenty minutes driving to get the interior warm, and that is only warm..... not hot!
    Aspires and Sways all around, Miata B6 installed, KYB G2Rs just installed in front. Wish for coil overs someday.

Comment

R-12 PERIOD. And make sure it's on recirculate. I've had 3 festys with R-12 and they are WAY colder than the new stuff and quite potent.
      youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

a/c

Make sure the evaporator coil is clean. If not this will greatly reduce air flow. In severe case will cause evap coil to freeze up due to poor circulation. Our cars are 20 plus years old and will collect dust, dirt over the years. There is no filter to protect them either. It is a pain to clean but it can be done. I've cleaned mine several times over the years, you can tell when it's needed by a loss in circulation.
        IMO it will improve the heat also. I don't have any problems with heat like a lot on the forum do, and have 382,000 on my 90 LX with original A/C system, including r-12 freon.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Just to clarify - recirculate is circled in blue. You can actually feel an increase in air flow and it cools the same air over and over.

youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

I found and wired in an extra fan off a 93 with auto/air. It helps to keep it cool at slower speeds.

I think 93 gl's have the "pusher fan" It's between the bumper and a/c condenser
            Last edited by eurotiva; 02-27-2011, 12:22 PM.
            -Greg
            Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
            BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
            Redneck Engineer
            FOTY - '09
            5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Originally posted by neanderpaul View Post
              R-12 PERIOD. And make sure it's on recirculate. I've had 3 festys with R-12 and they are WAY colder than the new stuff and quite potent.
              Unfortunately I can't do the old r12 deal anymore. Everything was converterted to 34 last year. I do run recirculate all the time but the airflow is not that great. I will try cleaning the coils and also plan on retenting all windows.
              '93 Festiva GL / "HOT ROD"
              '02 F-150 Supercrew
              '02 Excursion 4x4
              '98 Jeep Cherokee Classic Limited

Comment

Try swapping the expansion valve for a R134a unit if you can find one.
                Previous:
                1991 GL. (01' ranger lights!) P/S,A/C Sold to Mum.
                1990 auto. hacked up rally toy.
                1988 5 speed. The pile
                1993 5 speed.
                1995 5 speed aspire. Gutted for the 90' auto.

Comment

Originally posted by sedat View Post
                  Try swapping the expansion valve for a R134a unit if you can find one.
                  More info on this please.

Comment

I have yet to yank apart a festy Evaporator but I know it works on early mercedes and Land Rover vehicles.
                    Previous:
                    1991 GL. (01' ranger lights!) P/S,A/C Sold to Mum.
                    1990 auto. hacked up rally toy.
                    1988 5 speed. The pile
                    1993 5 speed.
                    1995 5 speed aspire. Gutted for the 90' auto.

Comment

Working...
                    X