E85 festiva?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schreurs1 View Post
    Ethanol isnt being forced on anyone and i assume your talking about the E15. E15 is replacing E10. you can still get your regular unleaded gas without ethanol if you so choose..
    Not true, ethanol is being forced on us.
    And no I'm not talking about E15 which hasn't been OK'd by the retarded government powers yet.
    No, we can't still get regular gas with out ethanol.
    I have heard about, but never found, a few stations here and there that still carry real gas.
    Since you brought it up, E15 is know to cause issues with older fuel systems, but there likely to push it use through even knowing it will cause failures in those vehicles.

I understand this community is about fuel mileage, not horsepower. i didnt expect anyone else to be using ethanol because its not normally associated with increasing fuel economy. my festiva gets about 1.5 mpgs better on E30 than anything else but every car is different, some like it, some dont. thats why i asked if the B6T guys had tried it. they are more about horsepower, and E85 makes big horsepower.

this is just my 2 cents.
    Then actually you don't understand this community.
    It's about helping each other out with a car that is fast approaching 20 yrs old. A car, I might add, that is even now hard to beat MPG wise. One that is easily modified to 3x's OEM horsepower, or more.
    It's about more than MPG and horsepower.
    It's about the friends I've met here, many of whom, I consider close friends.
    It's about the meets we have around the country, the movement of parts across the nation from one owner to another till the part gets to the person who needs it.

I'd be very interested how you manage a 1.5 MPG increase vs I assume real gasoline.
    What was your baseline MPG derived from?
    Any modifications?
    "every car is different" is not a good basis to explain how you supposedly get an increase of 1.5 MPG out of a fuel with less BTU's.

Now all the above said I'm still a big proponent of alternative fuels, but the execution of the ethanol in gasoline was just so poor. And the jury is still out if in fact the production of ethanol doesn't ultimately use more energy than it produces. Then there are all the government subsidies for ethanol producers, blenders, and more I probably don't know about. So via taxes we are paying more for a poorer fuel.
    Did see this morning which bears on the topic at hand:

And saw this previously which if true is interesting:

'93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

They do in a sense. its called Biodiesel around here. they used to make soy biodiesel but had too many problems with it so they went to using corn. we have experimented with it as well. We ran a B100 blend of biodiesel in my bosses 08 F-250 6.4L and it worked really well. it has its cons like anything else as it begins to gel at about 30 degrees, which doesnt quite work up here.
      No, biodiesel is not the same thing as blending ethanol with diesel, not even close. The transesterification of the soy oil is a pretty straight forward chemical process. A lot easier to deal with than the fermentation of corn starch into ethanol. I note a lot of experimental work, which is good, but I note too a lot of 3 or 4 tanks of this or that. No longer term tests.
      Yes, the lower gel point is an issue but can be over come by common additives already available for diesel fuel. 100% Biodiesel is a powerful solvent and will clean the crude out of your fuel system in short order clogging filters rapidly, so I assume the test with the F250 was also a short term thing.
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Ogrekhan View Post
        Hey,

I have a friend who runs filtered fryer oil year round here in Iowa. He does a lot of junking and adds salvaged skunk gas to the mix to prevent gelling. Seems to work great for him . Using a copper coiled line in the tank to heat your bio fuel works well too. Best setup I have seen used a small start up tank with blended diesel to start and run the first few miles.. then once the engine is warm and circulating heat back to the primary tank switch over.
        You can with the right setup, unfortunately used fryer oil is getting hard to come by. Another member on here has experience with this type setup, but the availability of oil is causing him to move to WMO as an alternative.
        I use SVO in the summer in my P30 GMC 6.2 on long trips, at 10-11 MPG I don't use it around town. It run betters on the SVO than diesel. But yes, first I let the engine get hot with diesel then I start pouring SVO (filtered to 1 um) into the tank and off I go. Burn as much SVO as I can then before journeys end fill the tank with diesel. Never had an issue so far.
        I'm involved with another project which I hope will be started here shortly which will bring together festiva, diesel technology, and SVO.
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
          Not true, ethanol is being forced on us.
          And no I'm not talking about E15 which hasn't been OK'd by the retarded government powers yet.
          No, we can't still get regular gas with out ethanol.
          I have heard about, but never found, a few stations here and there that still carry real gas.
          Since you brought it up, E15 is know to cause issues with older fuel systems, but there likely to push it use through even knowing it will cause failures in those vehicles.

Then actually you don't understand this community.
          It's about helping each other out with a car that is fast approaching 20 yrs old. A car, I might add, that is even now hard to beat MPG wise. One that is easily modified to 3x's OEM horsepower, or more.
          It's about more than MPG and horsepower.
          It's about the friends I've met here, many of whom, I consider close friends.
          It's about the meets we have around the country, the movement of parts across the nation from one owner to another till the part gets to the person who needs it.

I'd be very interested how you manage a 1.5 MPG increase vs I assume real gasoline.
          What was your baseline MPG derived from?
          Any modifications?
          "every car is different" is not a good basis to explain how you supposedly get an increase of 1.5 MPG out of a fuel with less BTU's.
          gas stations must be different out your way, because regular gas is at every station here. E15 will burn in every vehicle that is fuel injected. we run e30 in every fuel injected vehicle without a problem. carbeurated vehicles on the other hand may encounter problems.

I think you misunderstood my statement on this community. I know it is about making friends, helping people out and sharing and gaining knowledge about these great little cars. i reffered to this community in a way of it being more about economy than horsepower. nothing implied towards its members or anything like that.

And i compared 3 tanks full of 87, 89(e10) and e30 and e30 consistantly was better per tank than the others. tests were done during the summer here and driving conditions were very comparable for each test to determine an accurate reading.

Im not trying to upset anyone or anything, just simply curious if anyone has or would run E30 or E85 in there festivas.
          07 Chevy 1500. 5.3 E85
          91 Festiva DD B6, M5, AC, PS
          90 Festiva figure 8 racer
          90 Mustang LX, LSX, 4L80. AFONOMO

Comment

E30 or E85 will not be allowed near any car I own. That E10 garbage is bad enough. The stuff is killing land rover fuel systems. Ask me how I know.

Toulene will help a grumpy engine thats not taking the Ethanol very well.

The HHO people make me giggle.

Gas prices won't hurt me until it hits about $8-9 per gallon, and by then I'll have a different means of powering my junk.

The picture I uploaded is going to be the next thing thats "in". I have lots of projects.
            Previous:
            1991 GL. (01' ranger lights!) P/S,A/C Sold to Mum.
            1990 auto. hacked up rally toy.
            1988 5 speed. The pile
            1993 5 speed.
            1995 5 speed aspire. Gutted for the 90' auto.

Comment

I don't think you've upset anyone here and in case I forgot my manors Welcome :wav:

It's just most of the country doesn't have the options you do, we get 10% ethanol whether we want it or not.
              I'd be a lot less irritated about it if we had some choice, much like you do.

Yes, E15 and E30 will burn in any EFI engine but on on a per gallon or $/mile basis we are not getting the performance of regular gasoline and yet we are paying the same or more as uncontaminated gasoline.
              Again due to government subsidies all of us are paying for ethanol at the pump as well as in our taxes. I wonder if ethanol would be self sufficient as a commercial venture if not for government support?
              Not to mention how many pumps, tanks, fuel regulators, and injectors have failed prematurely due to ethanols ability to extract moisture from the air.
              A lot of this could have been avoided if the government, instead of caving into the Detroit for 30 yrs, had just required a 1 MPG increase in auto and even only a 1/2 MPG for trucks and we wouldn't be scrambling to find and implement poor solutions to our fuel needs.

I don't think E30 is available much outside your area and E85 is available but not anywhere near the scale E10 is. So not likely to find too many people having given it a try.
              Last edited by Pu241; 03-05-2011, 02:40 PM.
              '92 Aqua parts Car
              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by sedat View Post
                Toulene will help a grumpy engine thats not taking the Ethanol very well.

The HHO people make me giggle.

The picture I uploaded is going to be the next thing thats "in". I have lots of projects.
                Toluene (methyl benzene) is good stuff Octane rating of 110+.
                Hate to use good stuff like that to make crappy E10 usable.

HHO people make cry thinking of the waste of time, effort, and money that could have been used else where.

OK, I'll bite!
                Pic looks like some sort of plasma.
                Looks like you have better toys than I do!
                Last edited by Pu241; 03-05-2011, 02:51 PM.
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I was running toulene in a few aircooled VW engines I put together. California fuels and VWs running high compression are a bad idea. Toulene was the fix.

You guys whine about 38mpg. Try 8.5-11 for a few months. I drive betwen 3-5000 a month. It adds up fast. Fuel cost used to be the bill killer. Now its groceries

Not quite plasma but will be comon in about 20 years. I have a pile of drawings and I'm hoping to get the chamber built this summer. (after the BP swap!)
                  Previous:
                  1988 5 speed. The pile
                  1993 5 speed.

Comment

Not quite plasma but will be comon in about 20 years. I have a pile of drawings and I'm hoping to get the chamber built this summer. (after the BP swap!)
                    I understand keeping it under wraps!

But I live for the cutting edge stuff which as a basis in physics, unlike HHO and Magnets on my fuel lines.
                    Anyway what your doing could be use to crack Waste Motor Oil without a massive pressure vessel and temps of the bulk fluid in the 350 to 450 C range?
                    Last edited by Pu241; 03-05-2011, 03:16 PM.
                    '92 Aqua parts Car
                    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Nah Not into cracking used motor oil. Turbine engines love the stuff though.

I'll drop ye a PM.
                      Previous:
                      1988 5 speed. The pile
                      1993 5 speed.

Comment

Nah Not into cracking used motor oil. Turbine engines love the stuff though.

I'll drop ye a PM.
                        Yeah, if I could get a micro-turbine for cheap I'd be set.

Looking forward to the PM.
                        '92 Aqua parts Car
                        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Junkyard turbos make great engines especially when strapped to a scooter!
                          Previous:
                          1988 5 speed. The pile
                          1993 5 speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                            You can with the right setup, unfortunately used fryer oil is getting hard to come by.
                            Yeah, I remember when it was free. Then the restaurants caught on & decided to start charging.

Comment

Originally posted by Aspire View Post
                              Yeah, I remember when it was free. Then the restaurants caught on & decided to start charging.
                              Even if they charge, just so long as you get a reasonably clean product with no water at the bottom its still a good deal. I can see $5 for a 35 lb cubie as reasonable. I get 4.5 gal of usable fuel for $5.
                              My filtration costs are minimal on per gallon basis.
                              I win, the restaurant wins.
                              Everybody goes home a winner!
                              '92 Aqua parts Car
                              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

oh you're a winner all right!!! lol
                                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                                X