Air intake....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air intake....

.... Is huge on this car. Seriously, the whole air intake system on this car is about half the size of the whole dang engine. It bugs me. A lot.

Is there any way to bypass this whole thing and just throw a cone or something on top of the engine?

Where's that vaf adapter thing I saw somewhere?
    Buck.
    -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
    -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
    -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

You can get an adaptor for a cone air filter to get rid of the air box. Some people have used Aspire intake tubing. Look at post #7.http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...=aspire+intake
    '90 LX

Comment

Here's a VAF adapter I'm thinking of buying:

1986-1994 Mazda 323 1.6L L4 Engine. 1990-1994 Mazda Protege 1.8L L4 Engine. 1990-1993 VW Cabriolet 1.8L L4 Engine. 1995-2004 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L L4 Engine. 1995-2004 Toyota Tacoma 2.4L L4 Engine. 1993-1994 Toyota T-100 3.0L V6 Engine.

Has anyone used this design? I bought the one from Advance Auto Parts and it suffers from being too large all around to allow the four screw studs to be fitted into the adapter.

I have a plastic adapter I used on Luxstiva (now on AquaMutt) but I don't recall which ebay store I bought it from.

I'd prefer aluminum like the one I linked to. I just want to know I can bolt it up with enough nut clearance. The holes may be right, but if the nuts won't go on due to the large intake tube, it's useless.

Thanks,

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

^ The one from Advance Auto works with minimal mods. You need to redrill the holes to match the VAF. The new holes will be very close to the adapter's tube, but you can use hex/allen socket head screws/bolts. Since you already have the adapter, just get the screws!
        Oscar

Comment

Karl I have one very similar to the one you listed, it was sold as for an "rx7" but it *should* be the same.
          ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
          91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
          1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
          2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Thanks guys. I think I'll order the one I linked to, since it's aluminum, which I would prefer. If I ever need to mod the one I have, I can probably do it.

The little one I have from a BMW is really nice and fits well, but I'd prefer to keep all my AEM filters the same size to allow complete interchangeability with minimal fuss.

Karl
            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I'm not sure how that would work, I guess I'm just not seeing it in my head. Does anyone have a pic of an adapter in action to see if it will work for what I want?
              Buck.
              -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!

Comment

Comment

OOOOHHHHHHHHHkkkayyyyyy

I get it now. I didn't realize the actual inlet was on the side of the VAF. I am diggin your setup in that pic, mine should look similar.

Thanks for the pic!
                  Buck.

Comment

FFW does the air flow meter thingy work ok turned on its side like that? I haven't been into my festiva enough to know but I assume its the same as what came on the miata wear the little flap works a rheostat. wondering if orientation would affect its performance

Comment

You will need to buy a cap or plug to get rid of that extra stuff on the left side of that pic. Also you will need to cut some of that own hose but enough to slide that blue adapter to cling on. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Crankworm View Post
                        FFW does the air flow meter thingy work ok turned on its side like that? I haven't been into my festiva enough to know but I assume its the same as what came on the miata wear the little flap works a rheostat. wondering if orientation would affect its performance
                        It hasn't gave any problems that I know of. Maybe 1hp? LOL don't know for sure but it does sound lot better than factory and maybe lil bit more torque?

Comment

What about a shortened air intake? Perhaps just long enough to clear the head and exhaust manifold. Then again, seeing as that benefits the higher rpm range it may not be the best match for the stock B3. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by thered56 View Post
                            What about a shortened air intake? Perhaps just long enough to clear the head and exhaust manifold. Then again, seeing as that benefits the higher rpm range it may not be the best match for the stock B3. Just a thought.
                            Kinda what I was wondering.
                            Buck.

Comment

Working...
                            X