Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on a VW GTI

Sorry in advance for such a long post, which may be looked on as irrelavent
    I was at a shop the other day looking at a recently picked over aspire in hopes of getting a few parts off of it to put up on FF.com it was a stock B3/AT both of which I now have....

Anyways... to get back on the original topic.....

While I was there I saw a late 80s early to mid 90s VW Jetta? or Golf GTI 2D Hatchback.... I went back to the office and asked the people about it and they said they were getting a title for it. I told them if I had the money I'd like to have bought it but I was short on money.
    They offered to let me work detailing customers cars and get the GTI. I think it'll be a sweet deal after reading the reviews online.... I don't know much about it other than it's a manual and it's a dark green color.... I think it's a 1.8L but I didn't look at it too close while I was in the yard.

I was thinking if I got it I'd leave my Festy bone stock (as it sits now, while I'm rebuilding the original B3 engine) and use it for an all around car and use the GTI as a backup car. I was wondering if the GTI would be expensive to insure along with my Festiva. my main reason for asking is because insurance companies aren't usually kind to people in my general age group (people under 25... I'm 18) and I would assume if I got another car they'd jack my rates up.
    I've always had a thing for older Volkswagens, and even though this isn't a air cooled car I still think it's neat... reminds me of the 77 Rabbit I got without a title from a guy that I did work for and he never paid cash... so I got the Rabbit...
    I turned around and sold it for next to nothing because I could not get a title issued.... so I guess what I'm really asking is do you think it's worth it?
    Last edited by DrMaxwellEdison; 03-10-2011, 05:50 PM.
    Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
    89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
    Projects in the works:
    84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

they like to eat t-stat housings...
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

my personal opinion is "I LOVE IT" and would sell my wife and mower for a goos running gti well maybe just the mower but its a nice mower lol. i fell inlove with them along time ago and never had the funds but one day.......
      It's Not Much To Look At, But It's Still Funny To See The Look On Their Faces When They Catch Back Up To You At The Next Light!

Comment

I have wanted a Golf for awhile. What generation is it?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Golf

But if it runs good and has a clear title, then working for it would be a good deal, depending on how long you have to work.

A little off topic, but the other day I was at a salvage yard and saw a VW that looked strange so I walked over to it to see what it was. Turned out it was a VW Pointer, not sold here in the US. The tag in side the door said something like Producto de Brasil. Anyway the drivetrain was neat, it was a longitudinal engine, but it was front wheel drive! It used a transmission like an older beetle, except it was up front. Sorry for the mini hijack.
        '90 LX

Comment

how did it get here.......... I would take a TDI anyday but a GTI gets great mileage too and are very fast
          It's Not Much To Look At, But It's Still Funny To See The Look On Their Faces When They Catch Back Up To You At The Next Light!

Comment

right now I'm waiting to hear from Brooke (the lady in the office) to hear about when they get the title and set a price... I personally hope it doesn't cost all that much... I'm looking for another job, got fed up with the people I've been working for since January and let them go last week... I figure I can get a leg in working for the car and try to make myself an employee till September, when I'm moving to Baltimore. I want to be able to have an extra car so I can do a little here and there extra to the Festiva.... all and all I want to keep both the cars in good shape for quite awhile.

I feel that the GTI would be something I could work on as a project while driving the Festiva and vice versa.... I think it'd be nice
            Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
            Projects in the works:
            84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

i have thought many times about getting another festy and painting them exactly the same but one with a b3 and one with a bp+t then i could screw with people.

Comment

Thats what got me into festivas. My uncle had one with a full length header and some nitrous. It was a blast.
                -Greg
                Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                Redneck Engineer
                FOTY - '09
                5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Originally posted by christiva View Post
                  i have thought many times about getting another festy and painting them exactly the same but one with a b3 and one with a bp+t then i could screw with people.

That's something else I'm thinking about presently.... but I can't find one and I have limited space... I'd be limited if I got the GTI to that and the Festiva (Polar Express) because my mom has her van and her Festiva(Surf Blue in my Sig), and my grandfather has his 95 Chevy 1500
                  Last edited by DrMaxwellEdison; 03-10-2011, 06:30 PM.
                  Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
                  Projects in the works:

Comment

Working...
                  X