Grey Ghost back up and running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grey Ghost back up and running

Well, got the ghost all back together. Put new timing belt, waterpump on. Haven't got the pulley boss from bravekozak yet, but I just JB welded the piece back on old one and will put new pulley boss on when I get it. I just couldn't wait any longer to get car back together and see if it was going to start up and run right. I must have done something right cause it started and is running great. Took it for drive and stopped to get gas. When I went to start it back up, nothing, no lights, radio, nothing. Thought about it, opened hood, and took wrench and hit battery cable cause I forgot to tighten it down. For some reason the little plug on radiator started leaking and it would not tighten down so took radiator off and threads were stripped on radiator so tried putting bigger bolt in and it would not tighten down so I took original bolt, put JB weld on it, sealed it all up and no leaks now. If I need to drain radiator now I'll just take bottom hose off. Tomorrow I will take a longer ride in car and test it out good. Old timing belt actually was still pretty good shape but I changed it anyway and pump since I had it down. Tensioner was good too. Thanks all for your help on crank bolt problem.
    Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
    93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
    01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Ok, car still running good, but it has a whine like its turbo charged. The whine is definitely coming from inside timing belt cover. Has anyone who has changed their timing belt ever developed this sound. I guess I'm going to have to take cover off again and see what is causing this whine. By the way, how tight should the belt tensioner be. When I put it together, tensioner belt was loose and tensioner was hold belt snug. I moved it about 1/8" more to keep belt tight. Would this be too tight? Guess when I get the new pulley boss and put it on I will replace the tensioner also since I do have a new one. Just wondered if anyone had this whine before.
    Last edited by milehighbear; 03-13-2011, 02:24 PM.
    01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

I would loosen the tensioner bolt, then where ever the tensioner rests by itself tighten it. The spring should apply the proper amount of tension by itself.
      '90 LX

Comment

^^I agree it sounds like the tensioner is too tight.
        Brian
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
        :fish:

Comment

yep, you were both right. It was the tensioner pulley. I should have put new one on anyway the first time. So I tore it down again and old one was too tight and I put new one on. This time I tightened it down where it stopped. Crank bolt a whole lot easier getting off the second time too. So hopefully the part I got from bravekozak will be here tomorrow and I can put it all together again and all will be good. I did start it again just to make sure I didn't move one of the gears and it starts up great. TY Dan and Brian.
          01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Congrates!:wav:

Now having been throught this, do you have any advise for our fellow member in this thread:

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Yes I do, read the book. It says to loosen the bolt that holds tension pulley and let it apply tension against the belt. NOTE; The tensioner pulley spring applies the proper tension against the belt. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. If you have a new part, put it on. Never too old to learn. Hows that, lol.
              Last edited by milehighbear; 03-13-2011, 05:58 PM.
              01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Well, I can't argue with the advise! LOL
                But, I'm not sure he has a manual and seems he to be struggling with part of the same job you've just successfully finished.
                I was hoping you could provide some "tricks of the trade" as it were, in his thread to help him.
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Sorry, I didn't read your post right and didn't look at the thread. Im just wondering if there isn't a buildup of old dirt and stuff keeping the belt from going back on or maybe a piece of gasket that came off. If he hasnt already, I would take the splash guard off behind the front wheel and look up by the gear to see if something is in there. Putting the bottom one on first and then the top, make sure marks are where they are suppose to be. It was a simple operation for me other than the crankbolt wouldn't come undone. I'll go to his thread and mention this stuff to him.
                  01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Thanks!
                    It's sometimes the simplest part of a job, that for whatever reason, doesn't want to go right that a helpful piece of advise can make all the difference.
                    '92 Aqua parts Car
                    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Ok, I just took the ghost out for a good ride, about 30-35 miles. Had it up to 80MPH and it ran great. I haven't put the new pulley boss on yet, but it is still running great with no shakes or off balance idle. My question is: When I put new belt on, I made sure that number one was on compression stroke, marks on top pulley were 12 and three. Bottom mark was dead on. Nothing moved when I put new belt on. After putting belt cover on bottom, I noticed the two little marks on crankshaft pulley. After I had it all together, I also checked to see where the rotor was and it was just after number one plug. I put a timing light on it after it warmed up and the marks on the pulley were to the left of the timing indicator on plastic cover by about an inch. Is this where the two marks are suppose to be. Since there is no vacumn advance hoses, i had nothing to block up. Am I doing it right with timing light. I looked in book and could not find anything and I also checked past threads and saw nothing as to TDC or before or after TDC. It is running great tho
                      01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Ok, been driving the ghost for two weeks now and is still running good. I just came in house from checking tightness on crank bolt. I still have the old pulley boss that I JB Welded on and there seems to be no bad vibration from using it. I still have a small whine but it is from alternator belt. If I loosen it 1/8 inch, sometimes it squeels when started and when tighten it so squeel goes away, sort of sounds like a small turbo under hood. Maybe bearings are going out in alternator. I do have an extra belt though. It could also be the belt, which is pretty new, but it one of those that looks like it has teeth instead of solid belt. We will see. If alternator goes, autozone has one for 99.00 so it won't be too bad. But its nice to have it back up and running. Going to get a new o2 sensor for it and then go get it emission checked this coming tues. It don't smoke, so shouldn't have any problems. Going to get new windshield next week too, cheapest found was 140.00 installed so that won't be too bad either. Have a great week all.
                        Last edited by milehighbear; 03-30-2011, 05:42 PM.
                        01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Is it an EFI car?

If so connect your timing light, start the engine and allow it to warm up to operating temp, Ground the 1-pin black STI plug near the master cylinder, then align the white mark with the 10 on the indicator and you should be spot on. See how it does, if it needs a bit just drop it to 8 to compensate for crappy ethanol gas.
                          Last edited by kartracer46; 03-30-2011, 06:47 PM.
                          91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                          82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
                          85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Yes it is EFI. Im going to do a full tuneup on it this weekend since its suppose to be in 70's and no wind. I'll let you know what outcome on the emissions check is on wed. Last time I had it emissions, it only took 45 seconds for the test because it was running so good. Gal told me she has never had a car pass that fast and especially being 18 years old. We will see what happens this time.
                            01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by milehighbear View Post
                              Yes it is EFI. Im going to do a full tuneup on it this weekend since its suppose to be in 70's and no wind. I'll let you know what outcome on the emissions check is on wed. Last time I had it emissions, it only took 45 seconds for the test because it was running so good. Gal told me she has never had a car pass that fast and especially being 18 years old. We will see what happens this time.
                              milehighbear - great ! Sounds like you are doing good as a mechanic...so of course I wish you were near to help me when I might have questions !

mjd

Comment

Working...
                              X