Was there a mock Festiva by Diahatsu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was there a mock Festiva by Diahatsu?

So I was driving around the other day and spot what looked like a white Festiva at a auto repair place. I turn around and pulled in, it was a Diahatsu, so i go into the place and ask the mechanic if the owner wants to get rid of it. He say not sure but more than likely he would, has 2 bent valves, kid paid $600 for it and now doesn't have the money to get it fixed. I leave my # with him and they call me back. Long story short the shop finally gets the title from him yesterday. They want me to buy tomorrow for $500 but I am also looking at a blue 91 right now for $1000, 100k miles. Anyway did they make a Diahatsu that was modeled after the Festiva? Are they rare, would it be better to have the Ford (it runs) vs the Diahatsu (not running). Trying to make a quick decision before next wk. Thanks for your input
    Tom

Buy the 1000 dollar Festiva and leave the Diahatsu alone. just my .02. Diahatsu had no affiliation with KIA in building any cars. You will be much happier with the Festiva trust me. Let us know when you get it home and post some pics of it for us.
    91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
    82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
    85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

I am guessing it was a Charade by your description. They are an odd car like a Yugo. Did it look something like this?

91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
      82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
      85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

The Charade is a neat looking little car, but not related to the Festiva aside from the general size and type. If you had enough funds and had unlimited desire for different cars, it would probably be a cool purchase. However, I bet parts will be a pain to find as this car was not as common. I rarely see them any more, just as I see very few Yugos.

I'd go for the Festiva if it's a good buy.

If you really want the Charade, find out exactly how much the parts will cost and where they come from before you commit yourself! Could be big $$ and a long wait. Then again, maybe not, but don't go in blind!

Another of our members (in Florida, I believe) had a Charade but I don't know if he still has it. Maybe he'll see this and respond with his direct experience.

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

They're gonna give it to you for $100 less with probably more abuse and 2 bent valves? Sounds to me like a rip off. 100k is nothing for a Festiva. Sounds like there's no decision left to make to me.

Comment

Originally posted by thered56 View Post
            They're gonna give it to you for $100 less with probably more abuse and 2 bent valves? Sounds to me like a rip off. 100k is nothing for a Festiva. Sounds like there's no decision left to make to me.
            Agreed!!

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

we had a Charade in our family. It made it to 300k and finally died. Good car, and way faster than a stock festy.
              -Greg
              Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
              BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
              Redneck Engineer
              FOTY - '09
              5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

I also agree. I wasn't thinking of that exorbitant $500 price tag! You'd need to get it for under $200, make sure it is in otherwise good shape (rust free!!), and make doubly sure what the repair will cost and how easy the parts are to get. And you better really, really want to deal with a "different" car of unknown reliability compared with a Festiva.

The decision should be pretty easy!

Karl

Comment

Thanks guys for the input, thinkin I will go with the Festy, it runs and its what I have wanted. The Diahatsu is a 2 dr with a 1.3l in it, not sure of hp or any of that, inside needed work. Had stock 3 spoke rims and was a 5spd, kid had stickers all over the windows. Not sure if it was a Charade but it looked similar to the one in Kartracer46's post.

Comment

According to Wiki, Daihatsu was in the U.S. market from 1988 until 1992. I think their only two vehicles sold here were the Charade and a small 4WD, the Rocky.

Also per Wiki, they were associated with Toyota since 1967 and Toyota bought a controlling interest in them in 1999.

Karl

Comment

If it was 88-92, maybe it looked more like this:

Comment

You mean one of these?

I miss that thing a lot... though I wouldn't give $500 for one with a blown motor . I paid $50 for it, it was missing the hatch glass and the clutch was GONE. Wouldn't move in any gear. Picked up a spare (black) hatch for $25 from the PnP and a $30 clutch (just the disc) from AZ and had it on the road in a few hours. 3cyl 1.0L FTW. Dunno what Gregs talking about fast, unless theirs was the 1.3L maybe. Once you got it up to speed though it handled like a dream...

Like a lower wider festy with IRS
                        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Diahatsu

:laughing8:The pest control company I worked for bought a few to test out for salesmen to drive. 3cyl model. Put more than one person(driver) in it & turtles could beat them in a race:snorting: No way would I pull out into traffic with out many, many car lengths leeway!:laughing8: Get the Festy!!
                          If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Working...
                          X