Winter MPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter MPG

Well, I filled back up today, and I did the math and discovered I'm only getting 32 mpg. The recent owner worked his mpg out and used to get 44-47.8 . For those of you who also live in Canada, or some other colder climate, how much does your mpg drop in the winter?
    -Desroches
    '93 L Green

"Yes sweety, it is a (removed by request)box.. but it's my (removed by request)box, and I love it."

I live in NJ and my last tank I also got around 32. In the fall I had a tank that got 43. So I am willing to blame it on the choke being on for longer periods of time for warm-up etc. Plus this tank was all short trips around town.

89 L

Comment

fuels are also reformulated for winter in northern states (US)

do not know about Canada

Comment

Ive noticed my 90L 5 speed ,Got horrible gas mileage the last little trip I took. I drove about an hour around 70mph with the outside temp here 3 degrees below zero. My temp gage never came off the C mark on the gage. I was also wondering if this was some kind of fluke or if the car being so cold really does affect gas mileage
        Paul
        91GL
        Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

also just to add to this...i notice that the 10% ethonal blends drop more drastically in the winter time...i have no explanation for this i just know it happens...i still use 10% blend but i get 3-4mpg less with it in the winter time vs summer...but thats in my 6cyl contour......i can still get 28mpg in the winter time with it....so thats not bad.....

Comment

Well I guess that means I'm doing fairly well for -20C to -40C weather! The cold temperature will also make the amount of gasoline lower. The colder, the more condensed, so whenever I fill my tank, the next day i always lose about 1\12.
            '93 L Green

"Yes sweety, it is a (removed by request)box.. but it's my (removed by request)box, and I love it."

Comment

i have noticed that my gas mileage has went down considerably in the winter. i think its because the car never gets warm enough to actually burn the whole charge of fuel. so it just wastes it all.
              Stock is not an option!

Comment

I have to agree with you.. my car never gets warmed up unless it sits there running for 45 minutes.. then if I get on the freeway, the needle buries below the c..

Comment

My car warms up fine when it is 0 degrees outside. Maybe you need a new thermostat DJ.
                  The Festiva Store
                  Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

I'm running the dual core radiator and a high temp t-stat because of the extreme heat here during the summer. I have almost overheated a few times sitting in traffic before I put them in.. Winters are usually pretty mild and brief here so it's only for like a month or 2.

Comment

my mpg

I've been tracking mine since I got it. the epa makes it easy to do online.
                      My MPG helps you calculate and track your fuel economy, compare it with EPA ratings, and share it with others.

I must admit, I'm not exited about what I've been getting, but then again, I haven;t done anything to fix it either. Just got my emissions notice, so a tune up can't be far off. Hope it helps.
                      Lobo
                      it's hard being cool.
                      88 Festiva L
                      99 V92C

Comment

Working...
                      X