Drove the Festiva from TN to Tampa, FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drove the Festiva from TN to Tampa, FL

I'm here for 2 weeks for work. Loaded my tools and luggage and picked up a coworker in Atlanta. It ran great except the last 100 miles. It would buck under load. If I turned it off for a minute it would run fine for several miles then do it again. The fuel filter looks like it might be original. I got one on the way. I'll change it out and see if that may be the culprit. There might be crap in the tank too. 41 mpg.
    Rick
    1993 Ford Festiva
    1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
    1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
    2000 Ford E350

That's not bad at all. Maybe putt some fuel additive in your next fill up and that may help out also.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
    The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

awesome!!! if you were staying for another week or so you could make the fl meet on your way out
      93 L B6T DD http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37751
      RIP_90 LuX http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32249
      RIP 88 LX / B8-MEhttp://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26398

RJ

Comment

Well, I got back home Monday night. Drove the Festiva 13.5 hours straight with just stopping for fuel, food and restroom. I changed the fuel filter in the hotel parking lot and it seemed to fix the problem. I still need to drop the tank anc see what's going on because when I get near 3/8 of a tank it starts bucking. It drove great. There were a couple times I felt vulnerable when surrounded by semis but I know even if I was in a large pickup, a semi would squash it like a grape. I put on over 3,000 miles because I also went to the Ft Lauderdale area twice during the weekends since that is where I grew up. It did develop what appears to be a wheel bearing howl about 200 miles into the 850 trip home. I have to figure out which one it is. I have to go to Miami in a couple weeks for 2 weeks and really need to drive the Festiva due to the gas savings. Here's a couple pics of it with Tampa bay in the background.

Rick
        1993 Ford Festiva
        2000 Ford E350

Comment

Nice pics! Glad to hear it made the trip ok And thanks for reminding me I need to do the fuel filter today Before my 800 mile trip this weekend
          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

You don't need to drop the tank to inspect it. That's festy perk number million and 6. Flip and fold the seat forward. Pop carpet. Access panel there.
            youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefreek View Post
              Well, I got back home Monday night. Drove the Festiva 13.5 hours straight with just stopping for fuel, food and restroom. I changed the fuel filter in the hotel parking lot and it seemed to fix the problem. I still need to drop the tank anc see what's going on because when I get near 3/8 of a tank it starts bucking. It drove great. There were a couple times I felt vulnerable when surrounded by semis but I know even if I was in a large pickup, a semi would squash it like a grape. I put on over 3,000 miles because I also went to the Ft Lauderdale area twice during the weekends since that is where I grew up. It did develop what appears to be a wheel bearing howl about 200 miles into the 850 trip home. I have to figure out which one it is. I have to go to Miami in a couple weeks for 2 weeks and really need to drive the Festiva due to the gas savings. Here's a couple pics of it with Tampa bay in the background.

nice ride! the way i chk my bearings is just go to each wheel & shake it probably not the best way but i found mine that way if you can afford it just do em at the same time ,make sure when your doing the front ones just do one at a time so parts are not mixed up . if you drop tank & empty it thare is a gas tank restore that you can pour in it that will take care of most of that build up but i cant remember who sells it & change the sock
              Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

Originally posted by neanderpaul View Post
                You don't need to drop the tank to inspect it. That's festy perk number million and 6. Flip and fold the seat forward. Pop carpet. Access panel there.
                There is also a drain plug on the drivers side.
                youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

I'd address that wheel bearing, especially with the trips you have planned. No fun to get flatbedded where you have no friends. Also on a smaller car it kills mileage due to less momentum compared to a crown vic or something. I rolled around with a flat in the rear in the aspire and didn't notice. On a tank it's the other way around, bearings not so much a flat/low tire is a killer.
                  1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Glad to hear you made it okay1 If you come back to MacDill let me know. we''l meet up someplace. Sweet ride BTW.:cheers:
                    If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Originally posted by neanderpaul View Post
                      I guess I would have known this if I would have looked at group 24 in my Ford service manual. :read2: It took more time to run to the auto parts store than it did to do the work. I changed the pump strainer. It was in bad shape. Inside the tank doesn't look too bad. Hopefully this solves the problem.
                      Originally posted by getnpsi View Post
                      I'd address that wheel bearing, especially with the trips you have planned. No fun to get flatbedded where you have no friends.
                      Definitely will take care of the bearing issue. I have AAA Premier. They will tow me up to 200 miles. The whole ride home I was thinking who was within 200 miles from where I was in case the bearing decided to come apart or seize up.
                      Rick
                      1993 Ford Festiva
                      2000 Ford E350

Comment

that's a good way to look at the situation, perfect example as to why we have the F.I.T. database setup.... hope that everyone will start using it.... it confuses me a little to look at it
                        Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
                        89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
                        Projects in the works:
                        84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

I concur about the F.I.T. Database...
                          since I'm off on a 2000 Miles+ trip in 1990 Old Yeller at the end of the month.

Comment

I'm getting ready to take the Polar Express (see sig) for a 500 mile journey on the freshly rebuilt B3 (It goes in Monday, inspected Tuesday and the trip is the Friday NIGHT/Saturday morning) it's roughly 250 miles up and then running around in Baltimore and then 250 miles back... I'm checking the F.I.T. database and adding the names into contacts list
                            Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
                            89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
                            Projects in the works:
                            84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
                              I concur about the F.I.T. Database...
                              since I'm off on a 2000 Miles+ trip in 1990 Old Yeller at the end of the month.
                              It's a good way to meet some cool friends while traveling if you have the extra time too.
                              91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                              82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
                              85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Working...
                              X