50 mpg BP :) + a few little updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 mpg BP :) + a few little updates

So I decided to drive right on the speed limit for the first time since I've owned Nancy. I drove at 55mph for about 70 miles and 70 mph for 70 miles and only about 10 miles in town. 150 odd miles and only 3 gallons. 50mpg for the BP!

Gave Nancy an oil change,
    redid my thermostat, I couldn't get it to seat properly. Finally got some silicon or whatever and that held it in place finally stopping the slight leak of coolant and giving me heat just in time for spring!
    Checked the spark plugs. Plugs had burn marks up the side of the ceramic, over torqued? So I replaced those. Seem to be doing well so far.

I also did the rear wiper mod

I also scored a hatch cover at the junk yard.
    Repainted the wipers White, I don't like them white so they will be going back to black.

Gave her a bath and a wax and she is already dirty. Curse gravel driveways + Rain. But I plan on doing a much more thorough cleaning over my Easter break.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
    The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Looks nice .. IDK about the 50mpg but im all for an accurate test!

still wish i knew why my b8 was only getting 22-25 garbage
    93 L B6T DD http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37751
    RIP_90 LuX http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32249
    RIP 88 LX / B8-MEhttp://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26398

RJ

Comment

Not saying its impossible since I managed 47 in my b6t once but 3 gallons really isn't enough for an accurate calculation.
      91GL BP/F3A with boost
      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by skimsucka View Post
        Looks nice .. IDK about the 50mpg but im all for an accurate test!

still wish i knew why my b8 was only getting 22-25 garbage
        Yeah it is a bit unbelievable but here is how it went down. Filled up at my usual gas station right before the interstate. Filled it to the tippy tippy top (not just where the pump clicks off). Reset my trip. Drove it to my apartment in Anderson. Parked it. Drove to work 2 miles away. Drove back home to Columbus and filled back up to the tippy top at the same station I filled up at.
        I even checked my trip as compared to the mile markers and double checked with google maps. After looking at it again I actually drove almost 100 of the miles at 55 miles per hour.

who knows I'll be making the same trip shortly and I'll see if it's possible to recreate!

No doubt it is most likely a little off but regardless I'm very happy with what I got!

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
        Not saying its impossible since I managed 47 in my b6t once but 3 gallons really isn't enough for an accurate calculation.
        no doubt about that. I did average about 45 mpg twice in a row both 300 mile trips but I lost my paper with the numbers. So I'd say more accurately I can get 45 mpg fairly consistently driving the speed limit.
        Last edited by Charlie1717; 03-22-2011, 07:55 PM.

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie1717 View Post
          I even checked my trip as compared to the mile markers and double checked with google maps.
          Google maps isn't very accurate. The inaccuracy gets worse with distance. Check you distance traveled with a GPS. It's way more accurate.

Excellent MPG though. Especially for a BP.
          Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
          '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
          '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

awesome, maybe there is hope of me getting high mpg's with my bp... if i can keep my foot out of the floor

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
            1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

cant wait til i get my mega squirt in and working... i want low 11's and 40+ mpg... this is fueling my fire
              I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaB6TG25MR View Post
                cant wait til i get my mega squirt in and working... i want low 11's and 40+ mpg... this is fueling my fire
                that is the exact same goal i have 11 sec 1/4 and 40 mpg or better...

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

I think your 50 MPG is very believable, esp. with most of the driving at 55. When I had a B3 in Larry, at 55 I got 58.5. I guess you have taller than stock tires too, which helps the gearing and generally makes the speedo and odo more accurate. But you should check your odometer's accuracy with these tires, and adjust your mileage accordingly. I had to add 1.5 miles per 100 with taller tires, because the odo was reading a little slow.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                    I think your 50 MPG is very believable, esp. with most of the driving at 55. When I had a B3 in Larry, at 55 I got 58.5. I guess you have taller than stock tires too, which helps the gearing and generally makes the speedo and odo more accurate. But you should check your odometer's accuracy with these tires, and adjust your mileage accordingly. I had to add 1.5 miles per 100 with taller tires, because the odo was reading a little slow.
                    Yeah I forgot to mention along with using the mileage markers I had my gps going as well since I have the taller tires (did the calculations accordingly) I like to use my gps as my speedo. So I know that my miles traveled are 100% correct.

I'd say more realistically I could average about 45 mpg with pure interstate. I'll be making the exact same trip again soon (x2 so 300miles) and we will see if I get the same outcome.

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Charlie, Stoked for you. Please run out a whole tank at least once and gauge it. CHeck your speedo against the GPS for accuracy and adjust accordingly. One other BP swap guy on yourube claimed 48. I think it's possible. I really want it to be accurate. But I agree with Brad 3 gallons is not enough to check it.
                      youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Yeah I forgot to mention along with using the mileage markers I had my gps going as well since I have the taller tires (did the calculations accordingly) I like to use my gps as my speedo. So I know that my miles traveled are 100% correct.

I'd say more realistically I could average about 45 mpg with pure interstate. I'll be making the exact same trip again soon (x2 so 300miles) and we will see if I get the same outcome.
                        Yeah, I'd say the 45 MPG with the BP is more realistic, only because my best MPG with my BP was 44.5 via a long highway only drive, on I70 from OH to MO.
                        Also using a GPS, because all of my festivas ODOs were off, even when they had the OEM 145-80-12's on them.
                        Also note my BP has the Festiva OEM 5 spd tranny.

Charlie, check out my last entry on my fuelly page for my B3 festiva, T1!
                        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                        '92 Aqua parts Car
                        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                        Your holy ghost will not save you.
                        Your God plutonium will not save you.
                        In fact...
                        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by neanderpaul View Post
                          Charlie, Stoked for you. Please run out a whole tank at least once and gauge it. CHeck your speedo against the GPS for accuracy and adjust accordingly. One other BP swap guy on yourube claimed 48. I think it's possible. I really want it to be accurate. But I agree with Brad 3 gallons is not enough to check it.
                          Yeah the most I've done was about 8 gallons and getting 46 MPG and that was with all the correct calculations. I should have labeled this 46 MPG festiva :p

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                          Yeah, I'd say the 45 MPG with the BP is more realistic, only because my best MPG with my BP was 44.5 via a long highway only drive, on I70 from OH to MO.
                          Also using a GPS, because all of my festivas ODOs were off, even when they had the OEM 145-80-12's on them.
                          Also note my BP has the Festiva OEM 5 spd tranny.

Charlie, check out my last entry on my fuelly page for my B3 festiva, T1!
                          Yeah I'd say if I ran 400 miles at 55 I could be close to 50 mpg being that I was able to obtain 46mpg at 300 miles which included some 70mph zones.

Your B3 is doing awesome! It would be great to be averaging mid 40's for in town and 50's for interstate!
                          That was a heck of a long trip too, your tank must have been almost dry haha.

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Excellent - but you need to do a much longer trip for accuracy. I'm so envious. The best I ever did was 49.8 (never got to 50) but that was driving from Philly to Ithaca, NY and back. most of that driving was on the turnpike and I had to do 70 mph or get run over. I'm sure I could break the elusive 50 mpg mark if I could safely run the speed limit but in the Philly area, you become a real hazard when you aren't traveling with traffic. Traffic in this part of the country likes to move much faster than 55 mph.
                            Anyhow - great news and update when you gone a bit farther and used more fuel. I also found that it is best to keep a little sheet and write down the mileage and how much fuel you put in everytime you get gas. That way you can get a realistic number for your mileage. My everyday driving around in the Winter is low 40's and in the Summer mid 40's. - Oh I forgot- this is a stock FI, 5 speed Festiva I'm talking about.

Comment

Your B3 is doing awesome! It would be great to be averaging mid 40's for in town and 50's for interstate!
                              That was a heck of a long trip too, your tank must have been almost dry haha.
                              Thanks, I almost within strike range of Darlo!

Yeah, the last 15 miles I was white knuckling it, because there are no gas stations in that section of the drive.
                              I had 23 miles to complete the trip, as I've only ever put 10.3 gallons in a festiva, I calculated after I filled up I would flamed out!

The hard part is to keep a steady 60 mph!
                              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                              '92 Aqua parts Car
                              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                              Your holy ghost will not save you.
                              Your God plutonium will not save you.
                              In fact...
                              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                              X