Something happened...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something happened...

... My last tank, I got 43.5 MPG. WOW. All this on my PAPER ROUTE!!! Which is like worse than city. I started coasting with the engine off down hills. I figured it would up my mpg from ~30 to ~35, but wow I was literally breathless when I saw that number. This. Car. Is. EPIC.

That is all!
    Buck.
    -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
    -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
    -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

It gets even better when you turn the engine off and push it every other block. You'll also get more exercise, and eventually impress anyone who sees you! :p

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Lets see if its reproducible with the next tank.
      How many miles did you cover to get that MPG result?
      Also the temps have been increasing, so less fuel will be used to maintain engine temp.
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
        Also the temps have been increasing, so less fuel will be used to maintain engine temp.
        Three days, 150 miles
        Buck.
        -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!

Comment

Just wait until you turn off the engine coasting UPHILL and can crest it and keep going down with the engine off. Practice practice practice.
          1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

you do know that if you let off the gas and coast down the hill in gear with the clutch out the car dosnt use ANY gas.... it goes in to fuel cut and shuts down the injectors untill you step on the gas again...

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
            1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Allright it's official! I am buying you a propeller hat and pocket protector and you have to wear it at all the meets.:pfftheair:
              91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
              82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
              85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Originally posted by kartracer46 View Post
                Allright it's official! I am buying you a propeller hat and pocket protector and you have to wear it at all the meets.:pfftheair:
                Jay, it's what I do for a living when I have a job!
                Will the propeller be battery/solar driven setup?
                That pocket protector, will it be EM transparent?
                And can it hold a smart phone?
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Jay, it's what I do for a living when I have a job!
                  Will the propeller be battery/solar driven setup?
                  That pocket protector, will it be EM transparent?
                  And can it hold a smart phone?
                  eh, details. What ever I can get a deal on at the swap meet. I guess hope for the best.
                  91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                  82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
                  85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
                    you do know that if you let off the gas and coast down the hill in gear with the clutch out the car dosnt use ANY gas.... it goes in to fuel cut and shuts down the injectors untill you step on the gas again...
                    Which means you are turning the engine, when a) That requires a high ratio of energy to do in this setup and b) it is completely not necessary. I'd only go half as far rotating the engine in gear going down a hill than without any drivetrain loss
                    Buck.

Comment

Originally posted by 200KGPGTP View Post
                      Which means you are turning the engine, when a) That requires a high ratio of energy to do in this setup and b) it is completely not necessary. I'd only go half as far rotating the engine in gear going down a hill than without any drivetrain loss
                      ok after you shut off the motor you have to start it again... if you start it using the starter, it will wear that out quick if your doing it like 10 times a night or more... or if you pop the clutch its gonna wear that out... both of then are more expensive than the gas you save by doing so... its kind of a step back if you ask me... but its your car, do what you want...

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                      1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

I agree if you use the starter it will hasten it demise.
                        However, if your gentle with the clutch and don't just dump it I don't see much accelerated wear. I have 235,000 miles on blue and "popped" the clutch during hypermiling for years. I don't see that that many miles on a clutch is abnormally short.
                        '92 Aqua parts Car
                        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Yeah I use the clutch and do it in the highest gear possible, I'm sure it sees no more wear than a normal shift that way.
                          Buck.

Comment

I've started numerous cars over 40 times a day for years and never lost a starter. Starting a warm car is a lot less stressful to all of the systems. Coasting downhill engine on is great if you DO have to come to a stop, if you don't need to stop, engine off will save more fuel. Bumping on in 3rd and 4th gear is like no shock to the drivetrain, and again with practice no one's lurching and head bobbing
                            1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Exactly. Bump starting these cars correctly.... most the time it's smoother than the average shift
                              Buck.

Comment

Working...
                              X