A question about transmission fluid.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about transmission fluid.

I have a quick question. I just got a 1992 manual stick-shift Ford Festiva about a month ago and I think it needs transmission fluid or lube. I looked all around the transmission and I cannot find a way to put it in. Where under the hood of the care do I add the transmission fluid to it?

OK, I moved your post to its own thread!

Welcome :wav:

Please consider adding your location to your profile as below.
    Contrary to some of our members opinions this is not a requirement.
    But, I will say posting your location can lead to members dropping by and giving you a hand with your ride!

Go to User CP (top of the Page in the blue bar)
    Control Panel(left side of screen)
    Edit Profile-scroll to bottom of page to location.

Now to your question.
    Follow your speedo cable from the fire wall down to the transmission.
    It will end in a fitting that is secured to the transmission with a 10mm bolt through an "ear" on the fitting.
    The speedo cable is held to this assembly by a hex head threaded "shroud".
    Before attempting to first remove the speedo cables "shroud" and the fitting, spray them with a penetrate like PB Blaster.
    Then using an open end wrench or crescent wrench break loose the "shroud", this can be slid up the cable permitting you to remove the cable from the assembly mounted to the transmission. Note the "ear" on the speedo shaft interface and the split in the receiver that accepts this "ear". These must be aligned or they will not fit together.
    With the speedo cable out of the way, unbolt the 10mm bolt holding the assembly to the transmission. DO NOT loose the bolt. wiggle the now unbolted assembly left and right to break it free. Tapping with a piece of wood is permitted, get too aggressive and you will break the "ear" off. Once the assembly is free lift it straight up. It might make a hollow "popping" sound due to a slight vacuum being broken. On this assembly will be a marking that indicates the level of oil (ATX fluid in both ATX and MTX trannys). The hole no created by the assembly removal is also where you add fluid. A long thin funnel is highly recommended for this operation. I'll try and find a pic of the level indicator.
    As you are asking this question,I seriously recommend you purchase a Haynes or Ford manual it will make life much easier.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Great reply, I would only add..... be very careful to clean all the grease, oil & dirt off of the area around the speedo/dipstick before you pull it out. This area like to collect dirt, grease & gravel that can fall down into the open hole & get right into the transaxle. Don't ask me how I know!
      Last edited by blkfordsedan; 03-23-2011, 06:50 PM.
      Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
      04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
      62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
      Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Breaking the ear Off

Be very careful not to over tighten the bolt when you replace.
        I broke the ear off the first time I did this (5 festiva's later, I have learned a lot).

Comment

wow 2 first posts in one topic and in less than 5 posts at that.
          -Bryant

Comment

Working...
          X