Fuel tank question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel tank question

Has anyone studied up on the different fuel tanks available for Festivas? I've seen prices all over the place ranging from $165 to like $400. Is there a particular manufacturer who has a decent quality tank for a fair price? I don't want to wind up with one that's too thin to hold itself together. Thanks.

That's funny, I had the same question. I may need to replace mine and been thinking about it.

i218127

Comment

They all are made by the same one or two manufacturers. Just shop for the best price keeping in mind that a FI tank is different than a carburated.
      The thing I miss on a replacement tank is the drain that was in a stock tank, and you may want to coat the replacement type with a POR 15 or Chassis Saver paint after you clean off the lubricant used to stamp out the tank for more corrosion resistance.
      250.00 should buy you one shipped. Looks like they have gone up about 75.00 in the past 2 yrs.
      Have owned 9 so far
      White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
      Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
      Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
      Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
      Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

What is the difference between carbed and fi tanks? I need a new one and I have a spare carbed tank
        Ford Fester

Comment

idk much between carb and efi except that they don't work

what I do know is that two door aspire tanks fit the efi festiva's.

the mount for the pump will work if you rewire it or somehow switch the inserts for the electrical plugins (which I've been thinking of figuring a way but it looks like pretty thick metal and will ruin the plastic insert. but that's another topic...
          Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

There are essentially three different tanks for Festivas and Aspires:

Type 1-for carbed Festiva tank (cheapest one)
            Type 2-for FI Festiva and 2 door Aspire (same tank design)
            Type 3-for 4 door Aspire

The tanks do not interchange as far as I know, except you could probably install a fuel pump in a carbed tank if you knew what you were doing.

As for the difference between 2 and 4 door Aspire tanks, I can only guess that it involves a slightly different bolt pattern to the body, possibly with other differences.

Karl
            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Ive got two good extra EFI tanks Id take $75 a piece for. Dont want to ship them though.
              sigpic
              The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
              https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
              Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Which type will you need?
                Have owned 9 so far
                Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!

Comment

Originally posted by freshtiva View Post
                  Ive got two good extra EFI tanks Id take $75 a piece for. Dont want to ship them though.

What don't you have?
                  Ford Fester

Comment

Keystone shows Carb tanks available. I buy direct if that would help you is why I asked.

Michael
                    Have owned 9 so far

Comment

I have a 93 with EFI. I got a price from Advance for 235.99 for a Spectra Premium tank, but specs are hard to come by. I like the idea of coating it first, though.

Comment

Yep, do it right and undercoat it first.

Here's a link to an ebay seller:

Just under $200 with "free shipping" for a Dorman part.

I paid about $170 shipped for my Spectra (?) FI tank a couple years ago from an Ebay seller. Prices do go up.

WHOA NELLY! Look at this one:

Looks like just under $150 shipped for an FI tank from this seller! No clue as to manufacturer. I'd call them and confirm part applicability.

Also looks like Rockauto has the Spectra Premium F40B (for FI) for $140.79. Check their shipping price though. Could be steep.

Shop around! I should have done that before I bought my B6 downpipe at AZ. I coulda saved at least $40!

Use "google shopping" if nothing else. Quick way to check some prices.

Karl
                        Last edited by Safety Guy; 03-25-2011, 10:19 AM.
                        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Free shipping, on orders over $75!

Cheers,

Scott
                          Famous Last Words: "How hard can it be?"

Comment

There ya go! If you go with Rock Auto, be sure you check the thread for a discount code of 5% off your order too. FF.Com members try to keep a current code listed to help each other out if you have not seen this before.
                            Have owned 9 so far

Comment

Thanks for all the help! I ordered the Dorman tank from Auto Parts Direct for $198.99 & got a can of undercoating. Should have it done by next week. With the price of gas now, it'll pay for itself real soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X