Lost a HUGE chunk of metal under WOT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost a HUGE chunk of metal under WOT

I had just put seafoam into the intake, and waited the 5 minutes. I start it, and take off at full throttle, as I was on the side of a slow country highway. Into second, I hear a very loud pop or snap or backfire or something, and I see a part tumbling behind me.... Yikes. I turned around and got it, and was horrified at what I saw. It's very thick steel... and at least 6 inches wide and long. Two ~14mm bolts hold it together. It looks like some part of mounting or something.... I don't know... Any ideas? I'll post a pic in a few...
    Buck.
    -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
    -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
    -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

The pics would solve it in a real hurry.

I wouldn't drive the car until then.

But the fact the car turned around & drove back, could this be a ghetto exhaust hangar that someone installed at one time?
    Last edited by Aspire; 03-29-2011, 05:41 PM.

Comment

"very thick steel" must not be off a festiva then, lol

1993 Festiva L, aspire swapped, selling parts for a BP+T build.

Comment

Buck.
        -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!

Comment

Last pic is from the underside
          Buck.

Comment

Looks like a mount to something... tranny or motor mount?

88 Festy L (The White Thunder)
            91 L came and gone, owned only 2 days

Comment

downpipe holder looks like

Comment

Actually it looks like the bracket under the oil pan holding the exhaust...like said above.

Comment

WOW! I really dont know what that is. Unless it belongs to the exhaust?
                  Man should eat when he can for Man does not know when his last meal will be.

Comment

I wouldn't think something so thick would be used for exhaust..... but heck if I know....
                    Buck.

Comment

Downpipe bracket/holder
                      -Zack
                      Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Originally posted by crazyrog17 View Post
                        Downpipe bracket/holder
                        X2

BPT, G5M-R, BP26 Exintake swap + Fidanza cam gear, NSRT4 FMIC + 2.5" piping, HKS SSQV BOV, Exedy clutch, 3" downpipe + 2" all the way back, Aspire brake swap, KYB GR-2 & FMS coil spring , FMS EURO body kit + Carbon fiber hood, Falcon RTX 15X6½ + Toyo proxes T1R 195/45R15

Comment

I just had those off my car the other day and they are super thick. In one of your pics it looks like they were ripped off. That is some major issue getthing them off like that.
                          -Bryant

Comment

Originally posted by Gomez View Post
                            I just had those off my car the other day and they are super thick. In one of your pics it looks like they were ripped off. That is some major issue getthing them off like that.
                            Iknorite!?!

I mean good lord, the thing sheared clean off! I have no idea how.....

So I guess the next question is....... Do I need to replace it? LOL
                            Buck.

Comment

Originally posted by 200KGPGTP View Post
                              So I guess the next question is....... Do I need to replace it? LOL
                              I would say that figuring out why it failed so catastrophically is more important than replacing it.
                              But I'd do both. I don't like having half my exhaust hanging off the manifold.
                              Last edited by Tommychu; 03-29-2011, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X