Any thoughts on this engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any thoughts on this engine?

The 3.8 V6 that Kia/Hyundai uses in their cars. I rented a 2011 Kia Sedona equipped with the thing over the weekend and the thing goes like stink. The noise is incredible; the car was factory all around but I felt that the rental agency managed to sneak in a performance exhaust/resonator combo. I couldn't believe I was driving a van.....darn thing sounded like a Lambo.

Reason why I figured that this would be better than my current plans of swapping in the SHO engine is that the engine's wide applications allowed me to find AWD transmissions that are a direct bolt on to the engine so all I would have to worry about is most likely custom CV axles/etc.

Anyone had experience with these engines? The one in the Sonata came with 240hp but I guess with a few adjustments it can go up to 329hp like in the Genesis coupe.
    "There are three things that survive a nuclear war: Roaches, Chuck Norris, and Ford Festivas."
    --Anonymous

Originally posted by chaosdrifter06 View Post
    Reason why I figured that this would be better than my current plans of swapping in the SHO engine is that the engine's wide applications allowed me to find AWD transmissions that are a direct bolt on to the engine so all I would have to worry about is most likely custom CV axles/etc.
    If you're planning to mount it like an SHO then you do know that the shaft to drive the other set of wheels will be coming out the back of the car right?
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Why not use some sort of Subaru EJ engine. To put just about any engine in a Festiva and make it AWD will require lots of fab work. But using an older engine seems like there would be less headaches when it comes to wiring. I would think putting something like that new engine in would create alot of wiring issues, not to mention the lack of space up front.
      '90 LX

Comment

I was going to mount the engine transversely, hence the reason I was looking into this engine. Some of the models had this engine mounted that way so it cuts down on the fab work. There are no transmissions that allow the SHO to be mounted transversely and AWD. I already know a fabber who is a friend of mine who is only charging for the parts and maybe a carton of smokes to do the job.

As for the wiring, I'm sure I can dumb down all the modern stuff this engine has. From what I see the only modern thing this engine has is "ECO mode." I have enough room for the V6 since the battery is mounted in the back and there is this huge gaping hole in the engine bay where it used to be.

Again I'm just exploring my options. I originally thought of the EJ engines, but I don't remember any Subies that had them mounted transversely since that's the only way I can fit an engine without cutting into the firewall.
        "There are three things that survive a nuclear war: Roaches, Chuck Norris, and Ford Festivas."
        --Anonymous

Comment

ummm yeah, with an engine transversly mounted like an SHO (in the back) the other driveshaft will be sticking out the back. Sorry, thats just how it is. Unless you know about some rear engine awd hyundai that I don't know about. Not trying to be rude, just trying to help you think through what you're planning. If you're thinking of throwing it up front... well, uh... good luck... probably have to widen and lengthen the frame. Not saying it can't be done, just saying think it through

Also, there's a loooot more electronics going into that thing (emissions emissions emissions) than you might imagine.
          Last edited by htchbck; 04-04-2011, 07:41 PM.
          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
            ummm yeah, with an engine transversly mounted like an SHO (in the back) the other driveshaft will be sticking out the back. Sorry, thats just how it is. Unless you know about some rear engine awd hyundai that I don't know about. Not trying to be rude, just trying to help you think through what you're planning. If you're thinking of throwing it up front... well, uh... good luck... probably have to widen and lengthen the frame. Not saying it can't be done, just saying think it through

Also, there's a loooot more electronics going into that thing (emissions emissions emissions) than you might imagine.
            Powered wheelie bar?

Comment

Working...
            X