Best way to learn...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to learn...?

To start, I'm not that stupid when it comes to cars. i know how the engines work, both diesel and gasoline, I get what transmissions do and how they work to an extent, I can swap alternators, fuel filters, and spark plugs, replace serpentine belts, change oil/ any other fluids, swap wheels, and replace shocks/ springs.

The place where I get lost is complicated things, like engine swaps, rebuilds, changing head gaskets, etc. I also get confused over time by all the different small part names and such, and just feel like its too much. I am an extremely fast learner and know I could pick it up. Hell, I could probably rebuild a tranny if I correctly disassembled it, since I almost never forget how things go together if I rip them apart, no matter how complicated. I just feel lost in it all somethimes, and don't want to end up destroying my car when I get it because I forgot how some things fit back into place.

So I want to know, where should I start learning/ practicing these things? My mom's co-worker's husband is a mechanic, he even owns his own shop. I was thinking of asking him for help/ an apprenticeship. (Probably unpaid, as I'm only 16 and its probably illegal for me to work in a garage.) I have read through the festiva/ aspire, tempo/ topaz, escape/ tribute, and geo metro haynes manuals, so I have an idea of how to do some complex things in theory, but haven't had a chance to test that.

Any tips for a newbie? I plan to rebuild a stock festy from the ground up when I get one, so that will probably earn me some experience points, lol.
    1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
    Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
    daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
    A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Its all nuts n bolts. Take pictures. Label things in baggies. Lay things out in order thet they come out, so when you need to go together things are in order.

Other than that. Find a shop that they'll let ya mop the floor at. Then you'll be helping the real mechanics in no time. And pretty soon they'll give ya stuff to do. Learn by doing. And use common sense. I've hired kids out of the mechanics schools and its the biggest mistake I ever made.

Its all just nuts and bolts. And if you're 2% smarter than the nuts and bolts, you'll be alright

Comment

I pretty much knew the same things you know right now and I did an engine swap. The best way to learn for me is to read a book, watch a video or find a guide and go at it. It'll take a while the first time though and it won't go as planned MOST of the time. I've sometimes felt like crying because I couldn't do something or if I screwed something up bad but it's ALWAYS turned out fine.
      91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
      14 C7 Z51

Comment

I'm right there with you and I'm doing a motor swap right now. I'm learning a lot right now

88 Festy L (The White Thunder)
        91 L came and gone, owned only 2 days

Comment

Experience is the best teacher. Keep your repair manual handy and don't be afraid to jump into a project. It helps me to re-read a section repeatedly while doing any job I haven't done before. Be ready for and don't be discouraged by the occasional snag. They happen to everyone. Stuck bolts, broken fittings, no room for your fat hands, wrong parts, it all happens. You'll become well acquainted with heat, penetrating oil, stud/bolt extractors, drills/taps/dies, "special tools" and swear words (if you aren't already :-P). Also, don't be afraid to ask for opinions or advice. There is a lot of experience here and as I'm sure you already know, projects are rarely routine.
          91 L 5sp "The Silver Bullet" B6, Brake/Susp Swapped Build Thread
          92 L 5sp "Red" RIP
          95 Grand Prix SE DD
          Wife's Stuff:
          89 L 5sp "Carby Car"
          97 Aspire auto "Pink Panther"
          Build Thread

Spring 2013 IndyStiva:
          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...eet-April-20th

Comment

I've always said.........75% of working on stuff is having the right tools.......20% knowing which tool too use........%5 common sense.
            -Greg
            Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
            BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
            Redneck Engineer
            FOTY - '09
            5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

^^That is very true

What I would say is if you are a fast learner, festiva's are the best cars to learn on (I learned on a festiva) they're not too complicated and everything is fairly easy to get at, chances are someone on here is close to you and maybe someone nearby has an old stock engine kickin around that they'll donate to you, then just take apart the engine for experience and if you don't get it back together, who cares, it's only a spare engine lol

The best way to learn is to just do it and don't be afraid to get your hands dirty

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
              1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
              2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Well, in light of that, anybody want to donate a stock engine near Grand Rapids, MI?

And, just to be sure, "rebuilding" an engine/ transmission is literally just ripping it apart, cleaning it, replacing some worn parts, and re-assembling it?
                Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed

1993 rustless wonder

Comment

^^ Pretty much, but don't forget to check tolerances listed in the repair manual when you disassemble because you want to make sure nothing is past it's service limit. For example; cylinder bores and crank journals. If they are too big or too small you'll need to bore the block for larger pistons and/or have the crank turned and install oversized bearings. This brings you to checking tolerances when you reassemble. Measure them against the tolerances listed in the repair manual to make sure they are not too tight (not enough oil clearance) or too loose. This is just 2 examples, there should be a section in the repair manual that covers all of this more in depth and gives specific examples of how and why. Also don't forget torque specs. Those are to ensure that you have things tight enough and in some instances that a series of bolts (such as heads) are tightened uniformly.

Festivas are a GREAT car to learn on due to their simplicity and you have a huge pool of knowledge you can pull from here on FF if you run into any surprises or things not covered in the manual.

And like I tell everyone who asks about working on cars..it's all just nuts, bolts and grease. Some learning, some initiative, and the right tools and you'll be well on your way. Remember that even the most knowledgeable car gurus out there had start out on the ground floor too. When I was little I would pick up one of my Dad's Chilton manuals and just start reading through it and looking at the pictures. Later on I'd grab a carb or junk cylinder head off the scrap pile and start tearing it apart to see what made it tick and how it related to what I had seen in the book. One day my Dad said "Ok, now see if you can put it back together" LOL. After that he would give me small projects like fuel pump or alternator replacements and as I got older and more knowledgeable the projects got bigger. I've found this strategy works well for anyone starting from scratch.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions! I've been working on cars for 25 years and I still ask questions and learn new stuff everyday. Auto mechanics is very dynamic and it's always changing. That's one reason I love it so much because I'll never know it all and I'll never get bored because there is always something new on the horizon :mrgreen:
                  If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                  Zulu Ministries

Comment

when measuring tolerances, i can't stress enough the importance of QUALITY tools, this helps assure repeateabililty and correct measurements (along with proper technique). remember quality doesn't mean expensive, but most good tools aren't ever cheap.
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

^^ X 1000

You're measurements are only as good as the quality of what you're measuring with and crap in = crap out :thumbleft:
                      If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                      Zulu Ministries

Comment

.... Yep that's right. Also, try to understand the theory behind each component. To me, that makes the job a whole lot easier. And after that, you start to build experience. Sometimes my problem is, its' been so long since I've done or torn down a unit or it has changed somewhat, I don't RECALL exactly how to go about it. So, I'll re-familiarize myself with the manual, drawings, etc. or perhaps I'll think it through before I tackle a project and or discuss it with someone else or go on a given forum and get a general consensus to get a real GOOD idea and satisfy myself before I start. It has been my experience, people today are NOT as willing to share information like they used to, they want you to PAY them to do the same job you are trying to accomplish (MONEY). Sometimes you MUST humble yourself (kiss their butts) to find out needed information. And the MANUFACTURES take full advantage of this too. Such as, years ago each wheel on a car had a NUT with a cotter pin through it. Back then you didn't replace the bearings like you do today (far more costly). You removed the cotter pin backed the nut off and you had the bearings in your hands. You repacked the bearing with about 50 cents worth of premium grease and reversed the dis-assembly process and you were done, plain and simple. And there are other aspects about the vehicles that are the same way as well. Also, the DEALERS don't want you to touch your car, they want to do it all themselves and are TIGHT with information (after the MONEY too). To them you are just the paying customer who can stand over on the sideline and watch as your money gets spent their way! But these are today's challenges you will take on one after another as you gain experience and live your life. Just some in-sites, hope these help you.

Originally posted by Basement_Modder View Post
                        Well, in light of that, anybody want to donate a stock engine near Grand Rapids, MI?

And, just to be sure, "rebuilding" an engine/ transmission is literally just ripping it apart, cleaning it, replacing some worn parts, and re-assembling it?
                        Last edited by boydg1; 04-10-2011, 02:34 PM.
                        A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something.

Comment

I grew up working on my dirtbikes with my dad so I knew basic mechanics by the time I was 10. Over the years I had to learn more about trucks and cars helping my dad fix his trucks, and also to learn how to fix my own truck when I could drive. I purely learned by just picking up a wrench and learning piece by piece.

88 Festy L (The White Thunder)
                          91 L came and gone, owned only 2 days

Comment

Thanks, guys.
                            Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed

1993 rustless wonder

Comment

Working...