Oversized Oil Filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oversized Oil Filter?

I've got a Bosch oil filter right now, I'm sure it's fine.. I remember reading somewhere that you can use an oil filter from a larger engine for more efficient filter performance.

Especially if it's only a few cents more, I think that'd be a good idea for the next time that I change the oil (1,500 miles, I think... This is a new to me engine and don't know how it was maintained. Valve train looked good!).

What size/car/engine filter would be a good, oversized oil filter for a B3 then?
    -Zack
    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Run an amsoil filter, its the most efficent replacmant filter u can but unless u get a dual bypass filter system and those are not cheap, unless u plan on running some really good oil I wouldint bother with a special filter like the amsoil bc they are about 14$, but if u just want a bigger filter then its pointless bc u get the same micron rating, and if u plug that little filter then u have bigger problems.

Sorry but I'm just trying to understand your logic, what do u expect to gain from having a lager filter that has the same micron ragting?
    Last edited by 1988festivazoom; 04-14-2011, 08:34 AM.

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
    1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
    R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
    00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
    03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
    pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
    Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
    Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

Originally posted by 1988festivazoom View Post
      Sorry but I'm just trying to understand your logic, what do u expect to gain from having a lager filter that has the same micron ragting?
      Once any filter goes into by-pass, the filter size, or even the filter media don't matter. I don't know for certain but I think bypass happens when the Delta P across the filter reaches around 15psig. That figure depends on the bypass valve in the filter.

So, probably during cold start, when the oil is thick and the pressure across the filter (Delta P) is most likely high, oil bypasses the filter. Maybe same at high RPM.

Comment

Nah, not that it's a gunky engine or anything.. It's just my human nature to think bigger is better for some things and it makes sense to me to have more filter area for my oil filter, that's all.

I just vaguely remember a post either on here or club progtege about using oversized filters on a B6. I was working on my girlfriend's 323 at the time.
        -Zack

Comment

There is some advantage to just having more oil capacity from a heat standpoint, but it's rather pointless on a B3. The bypass rating can be different between filters and applications. The wrong one can do more harm than good. I would just stick with the factory one.
          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Makes sense. Thanks guys!
            -Zack

Comment

I run the Motorcraft FL-810's they have a tick more volume than the purolator or fram filters.
              91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
              82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
              85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

.... Purolator yes, Fram NOT so sure. Any comments? :cyclops:

Originally posted by kartracer46 View Post
                I run the Motorcraft FL-810's they have a tick more volume than the purolator or fram filters.
                A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something.

Comment

I always liked to run a longer filter for extended service and the extra capacity, but I haven't really taken the time to look for an oversized filter for the bullet since I've started using K&N.
                  91 L 5sp "The Silver Bullet" B6, Brake/Susp Swapped Build Thread
                  92 L 5sp "Red" RIP
                  95 Grand Prix SE DD
                  Wife's Stuff:
                  89 L 5sp "Carby Car"
                  97 Aspire auto "Pink Panther"
                  Build Thread

Spring 2013 IndyStiva:
                  http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...eet-April-20th

Comment

Originally posted by link5186 View Post
                    I always liked to run a longer filter for extended service and the extra capacity, but I haven't really taken the time to look for an oversized filter for the bullet since I've started using K&N.
                    what kind of oil are u running for extended service? and how many miles?

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
                    1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
                    R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
                    00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
                    03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
                    pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
                    Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
                    Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)
                      -Josh R

Comment

A larger oil filter will spend less time with the bypass valve open (during cold starts and high RPM situations) because of the better flow. So if you do a lot of cold starting and high revving you get more overall filtration. However a clogged filter is more effective than an unclogged one so if you aren't in situations where the BPV is open very often then a standard filter is ideal.

Take this (and all other posts about oil and filters) with a grain of salt though, I'm mostly talking out my rear on a subject that is full of opinions and scarce in facts. FWIW I run an oversize filter on my Matrix.

Comment

Working...
                        X