Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 LX Odometer Question

Guys -

I found a trashed 88 LX in somebody's back yard. It hasn't run for 10 years and various small animals and critters have made the engine bay their home from time to time. Current owner has little to no info about it's background. The odometer shows numbers on all the odometer columns/tumblers. Here's my question:

There are only six tumblers. With numbers showing on all six tumblers I would think the mileage would be about 151,000 miles based on the age/typical miles driven per year. However, note that at 151,000 miles that would require all 6 tumblers to be used and the tumbler on the far right side would be the 'single miles' column. In other words, there's no "tenths-of-a-mile" column??? If there is no tenths-of-a-mile tumbler then the mileage is at 151,000. If there is a tenths-of-a-mile column, like I would expect, then the total mileage is about 15,100.0 and I reeeeally doubt a car was only driven ~15,100 miles before it was put out to pasture.

So has anyone ever heard of a Festiva NOT having an odometer column/tumbler for tenths-of-a-mile? It does have a trip odometer on it but even then I think it would be weird to have the far right tumbler on an odometer to not show anything less than whole miles.

If I found a Festiva with only 15,100.0 miles on it that would be AWESOME but that just sounds too good to be true.

I'd appreciate anyone with an 88LX, or somebody knowledgeable on Festy odometers, replying. (And, yes, I know this is kind of a wordy post but I didn't know how else to describe it.)

Thx!
    Last edited by Twistiva; 04-20-2011, 07:51 PM.
    88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
    88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
    91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
    93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

the tenth of a mile is only on the trip meter so it is 151,000 mi

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
    1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
    R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
    00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
    03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
    pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
    Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
    Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

If it has a trip odometer I'm assuming that it has the tach cluster. If that's the case then I'm pretty sure there is no "tenths" on the main odometer, only on the trip odometer.
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada
      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

if its an lx then it has a tach cluster and will have a tenths in the trip, not on the actual mileage reading.

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
        1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
        R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
        00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
        03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
        pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
        Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
        Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

Originally posted by 1988festivazoom View Post
          the tenth of a mile is only on the trip meter so it is 151,000 mi
          x2
          youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by neanderpaul View Post
            x2

Hey guys, thx for clarifying that for me. I kinda figured that would be the answer but I thought I'd better ask, nonetheless. Dang!, would have been nice to have found a 15K mile Festy.

Thanks!
            88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
            88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
            91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
            93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

Tenths are always a different color also.
              youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

My LX is as others have described.

Here's another way (aside from digit color) to tell ...

On mechanical odometers, the "tenths" digit moves continuously and usually won't be perfectly "centered" on a particular digit. "Whole" digits are always centered except during the brief time when the digit to the right is "carrying" from 9 to 0.

In order to make the whole digits work as mentioned, I would think there probably really *IS* something like a tenths digits hiding behind the LX instrument panel faceplate; has anyone ever taken one apart to see?
                Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 04-21-2011, 07:11 PM.
                88L black, dailydriver
                88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
                4 88/89 disassembled
                91L green
                91GL aqua pwrsteer
                92GL red a/c reardmg
                3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
                1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Working...
                X