Being a parent is fun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being a parent is fun?

As some may recall, I bought my son a really clean '95 Mercury Tracer back in January. I gave $800 for it and put $250 worth of new tires on it. Then the timing belt broke and I spent $400 on a new timing belt, water pump and complete tune-up. It's licenced under my name........

So today I get a call from the Sheriff of a neighboring county, telling me my car has been sitting for 3 days on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere. I called my son, but no answer (surprise, surprise!!). The wife & I drive 35 miles to find it burried to the rocker panels on a dirt road....with about 30lbs of mud covering the entire interior. I used a tow rope and my truck to pull it out of the ditch, thinking I'll just drive it home. When I put it in "D"..........nothing. All forward gears are gone and Reverse barely moves. I towed it to a friend's farm about 2 miles away and parked it until I can get a trailer. On the way home my son called me from work, but I'll keep the details of that conversation private! He claims he got stuck a couple nights ago and walked to a farm house. He sent a couple of his friends to get the car the next day because he had to work. Evidently they fried the tranny trying to get it out and were to stupid to realize it. He honestly didn't seem to have any idea, he just thought it was stuck. I believe him, but regardless, he's not getting it back.

So now what? Outside of a bad tranny and being completely covered in mud (inside & out), the car runs like a top. The A/C works good & it has brand new tires. I have ~$1500 in it thus far. A good used tranny is $300 from a local recycler. There's also a WTB on CL looking for a clean '92-'95 Tracer that needs motor or tranny work (the guy has a good drivetrain). Do I spend another $300 plus the time/labor to fix mine? I'd have ~$1800 total invested and could maybe get $1200-$1500 max out of it. Or, do I sell it as-is for whatever I can get, put the money in my pocket and be done with it? The last option would be part it out. They get $500 for a good low mileage 1.9L, I can put the grey cloth seats in my Festy, it has a rear trunk spoiler and the wheels are the 14" polished aluminum 7-spoke (like the EGT's had) with brand new 195/60HR14 performance tires.
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

Wow man. If I were your son, I'd be buying the tranny for it. Guess sometimes it takes a few more years to realize what parents do for you.

Comment

yep . boys tend to destroy their first car. My girlfriends boy was the same way. We gave him a 93 tempo with 60 000 miles. He blew the engine, she paid to replace the engine . It developed a water leak in the new radiator so he drove it filling the water once in a while. He drove it to my house. Radiator fitting was bad in the new radiator and he blew the head gaskets.

so it sits, the company replaced the radiator as it had 1000 miles on it but wont cover the engine and of course the engine people wont cover the head gasket because the radiator caused it. So it sits in the drivway. I dont know how much is wrappped up in this car but I just dont have time to do head gaskets on it right now.
      money pit

No spitters were I work, you swallow it all. The Company feels if you already have it in your mouth why waste it.

Comment

Sell it and take your loss. After your son has to walk, ride a bike, bum rides or take a bus while he saves for another vehicle, he'll hopefully have plenty of time to ponder how lucky he was to have someone buy him a car and appreciate his next vehicle.
        Rick
        1993 Ford Festiva
        1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
        1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
        2000 Ford E350

Comment

Another member here is selling an auto trans and torque converter for $80 obo.
          -Zack
          Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Originally posted by crazyrog17 View Post
            Another member here is selling an auto trans and torque converter for $80 obo.
            Wrong tranny, nub.
            91GL BP/F3A with boost
            13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Take the seats and whatever you can use for your car sell the motor and scrap it. He will learn. You don't know what you have till it's gone....
              1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefreek View Post
                Sell it and take your loss. After your son has to walk, ride a bike, bum rides or take a bus while he saves for another vehicle, he'll hopefully have plenty of time to ponder how lucky he was to have someone buy him a car and appreciate his next vehicle.
                That's what I would do lol

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I still have the first car my dad bought me for $300. I got it and did a lot of work and gained a lot of experience from it. Had plenty of fun for over 40,000 miles. It still runs and drives but just has too many issues...mainly leaks. Time for retirement. Farewell ol bird.
                  91GL BP/F3A with boost
                  13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

my first car was an 88 cutlass needed a new distributor i would sit in that car for hrs with the radio on and act like i was driving never could get someone to fix it for me and had to sell it a year later for 75 bucks after that it was on lol Ive had alot of cars over the years and loved everyone of them even bought my mom one lol

Comment

If he wants a car, make HIM fix it (and buy the parts too). If not, I'd dump it.
                      Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                      '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                      '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                        Wrong tranny, nub.
                        Ah, my bad. But... nub? I just misread, haha.
                        -Zack
                        Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Well, I borrowed a car dolly and towed it to my storage building today. It has reverse, but is basically locked up in D or 2. It acts like it's trying to shift into reverse & drive at the same time. You can feel it shift into Low, but it acts like it's froze & won't move. I'm no auto tranny expert, but I think that's a sign of a broken band or bad clutches or something. The fluid is light brown & smells burnt. No question....It's pretty much junk.

I thought about giving my son the option of buying a tranny and fixing it himself, then just signing the car over to him. Unfortunately, he's unemployed again so that's pretty much pointless. I think I'll put it on CL and see what I can get out of it "as is" with the option of parting it out. If that doesn't work, I'll buy a used tranny, clean it up and get it going again. The book value is $2300 (in excellent condition), so if gas hits $4.50 to $5.00 this summer, I may be able to get $1500 out of it.
                          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

^^ Say, I'm no tranny expert either, but I know that MX-5's will sometimes get a problem where it get stuck in reverse even when shifted into a forward gear (the car is basically in 2 gears at once). Obviously RWD trannies differ from FWD, but might there be a way of disengaging reverse if this is the case? I suppose the tranny is probably shot, but if not it could save you some good money and time.
                            Last edited by thered56; 04-24-2011, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Get on his case about a job and make him purchace a trans with the proceeds. THEN once the trans is purchaced, you can have some bonding time making him replace it while you supervise/help when needed. he needs to learn to ask for help when needed (should have called you emediately once he got "stuck") and also take some appreciation for doing something for himself (i.e. fix the trans).
                              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                              X