Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interstate Driving in a Festiva

Safe Driving strategy?
    First off...I do drive a little over the speed limit on the Interstate sometimes, but I've been driving 52 years and have never gotten a speeding ticket.

Here's a driving tip for Interstate highway driving in your Festiva you might like to try..
    It's a way to keep yourself safer by maintaining a fair distance from other traffic. To do this you need to drive right at or slightly above the posted speed limit. (Interstate driving is much safer and more relaxing when you do this anyway.) When you drive this way, you will find that most of the other traffic is driver faster than you are.
    First off you need to find yourself a tractor/trailer that is driving at or slightly above the posted speed limit. It's not that hard to do because most trucks seem to try to maintain that speed. Pass the truck and drive in front of it at a safe distance. Try to maintain that distance even if the truck sometimes has to slow down a little bit when pulling a hill.
    You will find that passing traffic almost never pulls in between you and the truck even though there is ample space for them to do so. They see your little Festiva ahead, so they continue in the left lane instead of darting over into the right lane to pass other slower traffic in front of them.
    The truck drivers seem to appreciate this tactic too because it keeps the passing traffic from pulling over close in front of them after passing.
    When we both have to pass traffic that is going slower than we are, and the truck can't get over to pass right way, often, he will wait to pass when he can and then catch up with me to continue the symbiotic pairing.
    This strategy had provided me many miles if peaceful interstate driving.

What your opinion on this? Do you have other Festiva driving strategies you would like to share?
    Last edited by 1990new; 04-24-2011, 08:45 PM. Reason: grammar

you don't wanna know how i drive my festivas on the highway :lol: ironicly enough, i speed the most on highways but i've never gotten a ticket of any kind on the highways :scratch:

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

^ Nice 1990new !
      Last edited by freshtiva; 04-24-2011, 08:49 PM.
      sigpic
      The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
      https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
      Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Great tip.

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
        you don't wanna know how i drive my festivas on the highway :lol: ironicly enough, i speed the most on highways but i've never gotten a ticket of any kind on the highways :scratch:
        I want to know
        91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
        14 C7 Z51

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
          Yes..but then you have the "Intimidator Festiva" don't you?
          May your good fortune continue until your have driven as long as I have.

Comment

I just go the posted speed limit. I never drive a long enough distance to where going 5-10MPH over will net and real time gains. The most I speed is if I come up on a vehicle going just below the speed limit. I speed a bit to get around them and ahead of them. I hate riding behind cars.
            I have never gotten a speeding ticket, but I've only been driving about 3 1/2 years. Also, I've been driving my truck most of that time and I keep it at 60MPH for fuel economy. Highways in the states I drive in are 60-75MPH.
            ~Austin
            Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

I drive a festiva like I ride a motorcycle... like everyone is trying to kill you on purpose. While doing that on a motorcycle I have avoided death 4 times.
              youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by neanderpaul View Post
                I drive a festiva like I ride a motorcycle... like everyone is trying to kill you on purpose. While doing that on a motorcycle I have avoided death 4 times.
                You are very very lucky.
                I rode a motorcycle a few time when I was younger but never got the bug.
                Had a friend back in the 80's when I lived in upstate SC who had one. Still kept it after one older brother was killed on one, but got rid of it after the second brother was also killed on one. I know they are a thrill to ride but when you get into a duel with a car or truck on the road, you will almost certainly loose.

Your chances are only slightly better in a Festiva, so the thrill seeker in me must still be alive.

Comment

I just got over the bug within the past couple of years. Festivas are way more satisfying to me anyway.
                  youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

I need to stay behind someone on the freeway. If I'm the lead dog I seem to let things get out of hand (had 2 tickets with my wife's Turbo New Beetle).
                    I agree on the bikes - no room for error. I dumped my Dad's Ducati back in the 80's. The guy behind you can be as dangerous as the spill.

Comment

I drive all my vehicles the same way. From my large van to my Festiva. I just cruise right around the speed limit, keep my distance and like my dad told me when teaching me how to drive, I assume everyone else on the road is an idiot and that they will do things you would never expect them to do.
                      Rick
                      1993 Ford Festiva
                      1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
                      1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
                      2000 Ford E350

Comment

I just roll with the flow, most times people passing me are taking pictures with their phone, trying to figure out what it is, laughing hysterically or giving me a thumbs up. Either way I get a kick out of interstate travels with my Festiva's. The farther north I travel the better the entertainment of other drivers are along the way. Even the small town in PA where my parents live, I swear I heard a few necks snap from looking as I drove by.
                        91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                        82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
                        85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

I get more looks in my festiva than in any other car I've ever owned. Who would've thunk an econobox would be such an attention grabber?!
                          Buck.
                          -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
                          -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
                          -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

Hell, I know mine does! I'm almost getting used to people taking pics. Half of 'em want to know what it is, the other half want to buy it!
                            In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                            There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Working...
                            X